Federal Judges Won’t Block Fix To Pennsylvania’s Gerrymandered Congressional Map

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Federal Judges Won't Block Fix To Pennsylvania's Gerrymandered Congressional Map

A panel of three federal judges unanimously declined to step in and block Pennsylvania’s new congressional map on Monday.

The decision by the judges of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania leaves in place a congressional map issued by the state Supreme Court in February. In January, the state Supreme Court said the congressional plan Republicans had in place since 2011 so unfairly benefited the GOP that it violated a provision in the state constitution guaranteeing free and equal elections.

Republicans have another appeal of the decision currently pending at the United States Supreme Court.

Hopefully PA's new map holds up and they become the first domino to fall in terms of correcting the gerrymandering issues that are plaguing numerous regions in the country.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This pleases me.

Yep, this is promising.

There are a handful of states where this is a real issue, but none worse than PA. So if they can straighten that one out, there's hope for the rest of them.

upload_2018-3-19_15-28-26.png

Obviously, in a representative-model/republic, the ratio of popular vote/party affiliation:congressional seats will never be perfect. However, when you have a scenario where a party actually has less members and less votes, yet, still somehow has nearly 3 times the number of congressional seats, I think most can admit there's a problem.

...well, that, and just a simple glance at their atrociously gerrymandered congressional district map.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep, this is promising.

There are a handful of states where this is a real issue, but none worse than PA. So if they can straighten that one out, there's hope for the rest of them..

I live in PA. My district isn't gerrymandered (it's so blue around here, it'd be hard to not get a safe democrat seat), but I live not far from one of the most gerrymandered districts in PA. In my experience, the only people in PA really complaining about the redrawn map are the republicans in government. The average person, democrat or republican don't seem to disagree that the old map is indefensible and the one the court drew up is way better than anything presented thus far.

Upvote 0