United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FBI reports -- American marijuana user arrested every 42 seconds

What is everyone else's thoughts on marijuana?

Just one thought for them to avoid getting arrested every 42 seconds....

STOP BREAKING THE LAW. :)

Upvote 0

the_malevolent_milk_man

Jul 27, 2003
Apopka, Florida
✟4,185.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
InnerPhyre said:
Agreed. Drug dealers on the streets are making 1000% profit. Take the market out of their hands. Tax it. Make the laws the same as alcohol laws.
I actually agree with you for once. To me alcohol is just as bad as marijuana based on the effects it has on people. Personally, I would much rather be around somebody who is stoned than somebody who is drunk. Even though they're both acting stupid the pot head is mellower while drunks are more violent and reckless. I've never had a pot head puke on my carpet either.

If the prohibition on beer last century taught us anything it's that you aren't going to successfully ban this stuff. It's wasted effort and money on a lost cause. Might as well legalize it, regulate it, and make some tax money off of it.

Upvote 0

starchild

Even the least of these my brethren.
Oct 19, 2004
✟18,246.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Democrat
I have never ingested any of this stuff, and never smoked anything (inhaled, or not...). But people do, and really, there are only a couple real issues from pot use. Long term - cancer or emphysema. So, once we outlaw tobacco, we can talk about banning it because of that. Shorter term - lowered response times. So, if a person is stoned and driving, that worries me - as much as someone who is smashed and driving. Which could be dealt with in traffic code, probably even more successfully than drunk drivers are.

Back to that long term thing and tobacco - do you wonder, as I do, how decriminalizing marijuana might affect tobacco sales? I wonder if the tobacco industry would apply any pressure to keep marijuana illegal?

Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Vylo said:
But don't they have the right to put what they want into their own bodies, so long as it does not endanger others?

Nope. You see, a drug-induced state can result in the less-than bright individual getting into a car and driving on the road, endangering the lives of other people. Of course the same is true of alcohol, but at this time, one is legal and the other is not.

Tobacco and Alcohol are much more harmful then pot, and yet they are still legal.

What can I say.. the law is the law. :) Perhaps those who favor it could become more politically active and attempt to repeal the law with public support though. Till then, smoke at your own risk.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Nope. You see, a drug-induced state can result in the less-than bright individual getting into a car and driving on the road, endangering the lives of other people. Of course the same is true of alcohol, but at this time, one is legal and the other is not.
I said so long as they are not endaring others, that is not the case in your scenario. People can become intoxicated without causing harm to others.

Upvote 0

the_malevolent_milk_man

Jul 27, 2003
Apopka, Florida
✟4,185.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
jameseb said:
That's the thing, it's like outlawing the color purple while violet is still legal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Vylo said:
I said so long as they are not endaring others, that is not the case in your scenario. People can become intoxicated without causing harm to others.

Yes, I'm just suggesting that there's no guarantee that people will stay at home and be good while enjoying their vice.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I'm just suggesting that there's no guarantee that people will stay at home and be good while enjoying their vice.
There is no guarantee that people will stay at home and be good regardless of their state of mind. By this logic we should pre-emptively arrest everyone because they have the capacity to do wrong

I agree. But as Judge Dread says, "its the LAW!" ;)
Just because something is law, does not always make it right.

Upvote 0

the_malevolent_milk_man

Jul 27, 2003
Apopka, Florida
✟4,185.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
jameseb said:
I agree. But as Judge Dread says, "its the LAW!" ;)
This isn't some divine mandate that needs no reasoning to support it. To make a law, you actually need a reason that fits with the rest of the laws. "Because /shrug" is not a reason to make a law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

soulbrother-NO.1

Aug 10, 2004
✟302.00
Faith
Atheist
ShawnaAnn said:
I looked through the article, I am astounded! It seems like to me that this is a big mistake. I had no idea.

What is everyone else's thoughts on marijuana?

Godbless,
-SA
Drug use going up on Bush's watch? Another victory for the Bush admin.:) I suppose when America has become a silly, divided nation, it's citizens tend to want to escape reality for a few hours each day.

Upvote 0

Vegeta7286

Old School Saiyan
May 31, 2004
✟762.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
soulbrother-NO.1 said:
Drug use going up on Bush's watch? Another victory for the Bush admin.:) I suppose when America has become a silly, divided nation, it's citizens tend to want to escape reality for a few hours each day.
I stubbed my toe and I blame Bush. I sure hope Kerry gets elected....maybe my toilet will unclog...Dang Bush! :mad:

*sigh*

Anyone else getting really really tired of people blaming Bush for every little thing? When Bush gets re-elected I am going to be laughing in all your faces for the next 4 years. :mad:

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
qhaw? Are you blaming Bush for drug use going up? Maybe in some roundabout economic way, but even that is a stretch. The War on Drugs™ is the source of this problem. Sure Bush doesn't seem to be doing much about it, but how many politicians, including Kerry are really willing to finally change this.

Anyone else getting really really tired of people blaming Bush for every little thing?

Yes, it is demonizing, and takes away from those things that Bush is actually to blame for (Iraq)

Upvote 0