Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What are your favorite theology books (Bible excluded of course!)? In other words, what are the one or more books that you find yourself turning to when studying theological topics.

Naturally, depending upon our doctrinal perspectives such a list would be different from person to person. (Given the nature of the Chaplain's Coffee Shop (CCS), let's not debate these perspectives herein.) As a systematic theologian, my favorite texts follow that domain.

One of my all-time favorite systematic theology texts is available electronically:

Berkhof's Systematic Theology

Berkhof is terse and packed with concepts. He is essentially summarizing Bavinck's wonderful four-volume Reformed Dogmatics.

Hodge's Systematic Theology, another favorite, is also available online (these are large files):
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/hodge/theology1.pdf
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/hodge/theology2.pdf
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/hodge/theology3.pdf
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/hodge/theology4.pdf (the index)
Hodge is also available here in book form for $20!

One of my most often used resources is Turretin's three-volume Institutes of Elenctic Theology. It is written in a statement and affirmation/denial format. The table of contents alone is instructive: Turretin IET ToC ;)

While in seminary (in the late 1970s), Ott's Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma was one of my systematic texts and I still grab it from the bookshelf at least one or two times a week.

A very good modern systematic text that I find myself turning to often is Horton's The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way.

If you like bitesize theology this will be a good resource:
Berkhof's Summary of Christine Doctrine

These are some of my favorites, how about yours?

Last edited:

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I enjoy Paul Enns', The Moody Handbook of Theology

Most books of this sort are often shallow and imprecise. Enns has done a great job on this. He summarizes the various approaches to doctrines quite well.

Paul was a member of my church when this was first published. He is a solid believer and an excellent communicator.

Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have Enns' handbook, too. Very compact summaries with lots of Scripture references. A good resource that I sometimes forget I have to refer to. I especially like his irenic treatment of differing perspectives. That said, Enns' view in this new edition that covenantalism is "replacement theology" (vis a vis Israel), annoys me. ;) Covenantalists reject "replacement theology", and I don't think anyone can find a single covenantalist that would accept the term. Covenantalists follow grafted theology. One vine: Christ, one Israel, the people of God. From Ephesians 2:15, Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

In general, persons using the "replacement theology" term say so because they have already decided to keep the two distinct. Thus, you will read them saying, "Covenantalists have taken over the promises made to Israel". Sigh. They should be saying "Covenantalists have joined the true Israel along with Old Testament believers, who were "of Israel"." (Romans 9:6).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have Berkhof's and Grudem's Systematic Theologies. I had Horton's, but gave it to Student Ad X because I thought he's appreciate more.

I've heard of Grudem's work and it's supposed to be good.

Personally I struggle a bit with Systematic Theology.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do like William Cunningham's Historical Theology.

The writer was Principal of the Free Church College, Edinburgh, Scotland, which is Presbyterian, and I myself am far from Presbyterian or Reformed; I do find the work helpful, however, because the writer goes through history and supplies a lot of useful information about who believed what and when, etc.

Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have Cunningham's works on my Puritan Hard Drive. A wonderful two volume treatment.

I really like it, not because I agree where he is coming from (I'm an immersed dispensationalist) but because of the many historical insights that William Cunningham offers.

Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi...Scewtape letters...brilliant and timeless...so true today!

I have just been following some of the recommendations above, and somehow came across on amazon, the writer Michael Horton and his book called 'Ordinary'. Has anyone read it, or any of his other books? he appears to be quite a prolific writer.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Hi...Scewtape letters...brilliant and timeless...so true today!

I have just been following some of the recommendations above, and somehow came across on amazon, the writer Michael Horton and his book called 'Ordinary'. Has anyone read it, or any of his other books? he appears to be quite a prolific writer.
I'm actually reading Ordinary right now. Good book so far.

Upvote 0

outsidethecamp

Heb 13:10-15
Apr 19, 2014
✟3,811.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,
I just finished reading "Dogmatics in outline" by Karl Barth for my ministerial studies. Very insightful and profound, actually changed some of the aspects of divinity I was thinking about. Highly recommended.

He has some wonderful quotes:

From Karl Barth: Barth, Karl, Church Dogmatics. Vol. I, Pt. 2. Edinburgh: T&T Clark. 1956

"the revelation of God is the abolition of religion."

"It is always the sign of definite misunderstanding when an attempt is made to systematically coordinate revelation and religion...to fix their mutual relationship.

"In opposition to all 'religionism' the proclamation of the grace of God is introduced as the truth..."

"Religion is unbelief. It is a concern of...godless man."

"Religion is clearly seen to be a human attempt to anticipate what God in His revelation wills to do and does do. It is the attempted replacement of the divine work by a human manufacture."

"It is a feeble but defiant, an arrogant but hopeless, attempt to create something which man could do. In religion man bolts and bars himself against revelation by providing a substitute, by taking away in advance the very thing which has to be given by God. It is never the truth. It is a complete fiction, which has not only little but no relation to God."

"What is the purpose of the universal attempt of religions but to anticipate God, to foist a human product into the place of His word, to make our own images of the One who is known only where He gives Himself to be known."

"The revelation of God denies that any religion is true. No religion can stand before the grace of God as true religion."

Reactions: Steeno7
Upvote 0

Paloma_91

Jun 23, 2016
United States
✟15,771.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I suppose my replies depend on what you would consider theology texts verses apologetic texts.

Systematic Theology is a staple of Christian theological texts. My other choices could potentially put under the umbrella of apologetics, rather than theology. However, the arguments presented in them have theological implications, obviously.

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
The Reason for God by Tim Keller
The New Evidence that Demands a Verdict I & II by Josh McDowell

Reactions: Uncle Tommy
Upvote 0