Kenmore, WA
✟278,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
All right could the posters share with us which MRE entrees they are most partial to? Myself, I think the chicken cavitelli is rather underrated. It's right up there with chili mac in my book.:thumbsup:

Posters from other countries, what's best in the field rations issued by your armed forces?

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
All right could the posters share with us which MRE entrees they are most partial to? Myself, I think the chicken cavitelli is rather underrated. It's right up there with chili mac in my book.:thumbsup:

Posters from other countries, what's best in the field rations issued by your armed forces?

Chili Mac, Vegetable Manicotti, that weird veggie burger with the BBQ sauce, and anything that usually comes with M&M's. :)

That actually makes me want an MRE right about now, or maybe I'm just really hungry because it's lunch time and I skipped breakfast.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was in 82-85; MREs were something brand new. During the field part of basic the instructors said we were the first to try them out. My first field exercise with the 10th Marines (Arty) we had C-rats~and I still have the John Wayne. (Never had any of the "old timers" say the MREs were better than C-rats.) Everything after that was MREs...I understand that there has been some changes over 20+ years. It was all edible but nothing was exceptional. We did work at getting the Pnut butter to help clog the plumbing while we were in the field ;)

It's been so long I can barely remember the menus anymore but any of the meat patties that had to be resurrected with water were just really bad...and the best trick at the time was to mix the creamer from the acc'y pack with the dried fruit (strawberries or peaches) and water.

Many jarheads took along pogie bait and accessories to help with the MREs~ramen noodles and hot sauce were necessities..

Upvote 0

StromRider

Feb 25, 2005
North Lauderdale, FL
✟129,564.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Canadian Army uses IMP's - Individual Meal Packs - http://www.mreinfo.com/international/canada/canadian-imp.html

I've been out for almost 10 years now so the menu has changed somewhat but I do remember my favourites being lasagna and shepards pie.

The rats were generally pretty good but one rarely had the time/water necessary to prepare everything in them properly. Ones like the Salisbury Steak or Swiss steak were good because they came in a gravy that you could dump the instant potato or rice into.

I wasn't much of a fruit eater as a kid and it was through eating imp's that I grew to like pineapple, pears and cherries. Being for Canadians in our climate there were lots of coffee, tea, and hot chocolate :)

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Back when I was in I liked the ham slice MRE best. Its funny how most Marines seemed to complain about them but when I ended up with a couple cases, they got thrown out because they had bad chicken chow mein in them, my wife and toddler daughter chowed down on them. I came home from work one day hot, dirty, tired, and hungry so I went to where I put the MRE's and found only a couple of them left. When I asked my wife about it she said they're good so she ate them instead of making lunches or breakfast.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find I do not have a favorite. I guess I just tolerate the MRE because nothing else is available at the time.

But I do get upset if there isn't any Tabasco sauce; that's the best part IMO.

Mike

:D some things never change...

Upvote 0

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
We were doing ORE Initial Response this last weekend, so long 14 hour+ shifts through the night without any real chance to leave for food, so we had MRE's. It'd been a while since I'd had one, but I ended up with my old staple.. Veggie Manicotti. Got that thing 5 times in Warrior Week in Basic, and in SF school out of 2 cases (24 total) I think I had like 9. That flavor just seems to follow me around.

Upvote 0

JesusFreak2008

Living Life To Its Fullest Each Day, Praising God
May 1, 2008
Mentor on the Lake, Ohio
Visit site
✟9,377.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's See...MRE's..

Well first off, I am the weird one that loves them..of course my boyfriend says otherwise because I'm not the one in the field for fourteen days having to eat them. I think they are delicious.

I'd have to say my favorite one is the Salisbury Steak, or as JCook said, anything with M+M's lol..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
didn't have any favorites for the limited MRe's I tried.
Some of them do sound good.
I started in the AF with C-rats.(I think rats would have been better tasting.) MRE's are alot lighter to carry, and more tolerable.
I heard they were getting better options, when I was getting out.
AFSP did go out for 10-14 days.
Anything not in a can(later plastic) sounded delicious after 4 days.

I thought about buying some MRE's at the local swap meet. But nothing I remembered sounded good. My daughters wanted to try them too.
Maybe next time,I am there I will buy some.

Upvote 0

Rik

The Dude abides
Jan 7, 2005
Next door to Alice.
Visit site
✟11,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I remember my first one in 1989, it was a salisbury steak but back then the meat ones were dehydrated so it tasted like a dog biscuit. My favorite was to take the jalapeno cheese and mix it in with the chicken and rice. One time some guys in my old unit pooled all their stuff together and actually made a pizza out in the field.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums