Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, the window test is great for that. My mixer broke--Kitchen Aide, no less! 1 month after the warranty was up!! My previous one I'd had for over 25 years and I had abused it regularly (kneading doughs bigger than what it said to use) and I gave it to my niece when I got a bigger one. I couldn't believe, and I had pampered this one, kneading only doughs within the recommended amounts. It just quite doing anything, the gears are probably stripped. The repair guy said nothing is made like they used to be. I haven't fixed it yet, too much money for now. So I've had to knead by hand---very hard on me. I use the window test to make sure I am kneading long enough.
Also, are you making the dough too dry? It should be slightly sticky, but not sticky enough to cling to your hands, if it clings a little to the board that is OK, I use a bench knife to scrape the work surface as I knead. Too dry and the dough doesn't hold together very well causing air pockets and hard, tough bread. If you're using a mixer, it should just leave the sides of the bowl, but still cling to the very bottom of the bowl.
I tried it various stickiness.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I tried it various stickiness.

OK--running out of ideas---are you using too much oil? Like, are you kneading with oil or butter of on your hands? Too much oil when you are shaping it into loaves will make the surface unable to cling together, forming areas that allow for air pockets.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
OK--running out of ideas---are you using too much oil? Like, are you kneading with oil or butter of on your hands? Too much oil when you are shaping it into loaves will make the surface unable to cling together, forming areas that allow for air pockets.
I *suspect* that it has to do with the gluten. I'm going to do the window test. Let's see how that works first, and then I'll get back to you guys.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The one they use at Albertson's on Mercer Island in Seattle for $2.99. :eek:
I haven't found any bakeries with delicious challah around me. The grocery store here has it, but it doesn't really taste like challah, though it is braided. Most bakeries here don't carry it.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Where do you live? The closer to large Jewish communities, the better the Challah gets.

On a side note, my kids attend Hebrew Sunday School and every year the 10th grade class visits different houses of worship to see the differences and similarities. They were surprised to hear some Hebrew in the Eastern Orthodox service and noticed your version of Challah with the egg baked in it.
:) Paska bread... it's delicious, and is extremely close to challah! I can use the same recipe...and just braid it differently. Unfortunately we are nowhere close to a Jewish community. The vast majority here are Evangelical Christians. The amount of Jews here probably equals the amount of Eastern Orthodox here :)

In regards to your side note - There actually are a lot of things we carry over into our services, the especially in the church architecture and some of the feast days. Our feast days often are parallel to many of the Jewish Feast Days, our parishes are structured like the temple, we have an altar representing the Holy of Holies, etc. Even Pascha (what we call Easter) follows the schedule of the Passover. I've enjoyed studying more about the Jewish faith and finding connections. After all, we wouldn't be here without Judaism.

Just for discussion purposes :)

The Architecture of Worship—A third way we see Orthodoxy’s continuity with the worship of the Old Testament is in how our churches are built. Those entering an Orthodox church for the first time may notice some familiar Biblical characteristics about how the building itself is structured. Upon entering the church building, one comes into an entry space known as the narthex. This space is set apart from the rest of the church, and is symbolic of “the world.” In looking at the patterns of the Tabernacle and the Temple in the Old Testament, the narthex corresponds to the outer or great court (Ex. 27:9-21; 2 Ch. 4:9). Traditionally, this space is where baptisms take place and where the non-baptized would be permitted to stand during worship services.
Entering past the narthex, one comes into the church itself. This space is called the nave, and corresponds to what is called the Inner or Priestly Court or Holy Place in the Tabernacle and the Temple (Ex. 26:33, 27:21; 2 Ch. 4:9). The continuity between Temple worship and Orthodox worship is illustrated by the fact that Orthodox churches are often referred to as “temples” rather than “churches.” As only the Jewish priests could enter into the Holy Place, so, too, is the nave the place where the priests of the New Covenant—the royal priesthood of the Christian people—offer their worship and praise to God. Entering into the nave symbolizes leaving behind the world and entering into the Heavenly Kingdom.
To many, one of the most striking thing about an Orthodox temple is the iconostasis. This is the partial wall near the east end of the temple which is decorated with icons. The space behind the iconostasis is called the altar, and corresponds to the Holy of Holies where the Ark of the Covenant resided and where the Jewish High Priest would enter once a year to sprinkle blood on the Mercy Seat (Ex. 26:33; Lev. 16). The altar is symbolic of the Throne of God. Though the altar is separated from the nave by a curtain, we also believe that the veil in the Temple was rent in two when Christ sacrificed Himself for our salvation (Mt. 27:51; Heb. 6:19-20). Thus, during our worship services, the curtain is often opened, signifying Christ’s tearing down the wall of sin and death that separated us from Him and His uniting us with God the Father
As in the Tabernacle and Temple, many holy things used in worship are kept in the altar. Thus, only those who have a specific blessing from the priest or bishop to enter the altar may do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: seekingsolace
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I like using day old challah for French toast.
Mm yes, that is one of my husband's favorites. We put vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and a bit of ground clove in the mixture. Delish!

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I do all that except cloves. I keep them hidden because one mother’s day my kids decided to surprise mom with French toast and used cloves instead of cinnamon. It looked great but if you ever wanted to see someone’s face turn inside out, eat a quarter ounce of cloves on French toast.
Yea, a little bit goes a long way with cloves! That's a sweet gesture though!

Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I could have pulled all my teeth and not felt a thing.
Lol, I'll take your word for it! I'll make sure to hide the cloves when we have kids old enough to bake :)

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So I'm making challah bread for a family dinner tomorrow while we are on vacation. Since we are traveling there, and I don't want to spend all day baking, I'd like to bake it today. Any suggestions on keeping it fresh from today until dinner tomorrow? I typically make it and bake it the same day that we eat it. I thought about making the dough ahead of time, but we have a three hour drive without any place to chill the dough. I'm not sure I can let the dough rise outside of the fridge that long without completing the baking process.

Thanks for any tips!

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can you put the dough into a chest with a lot of ice for the trip?
I thought about that but wondered if the very cold temperature on the outside would cause problems with sogginess...do you think it would keep the same texture?

Upvote 0