Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Many Christians here are known to have spent their lives in attaining sound aspects of truly walking in the Spirit, to God be the glory! How would you advise the newer convert to Jesus Christ at being a good soldier in search of those who follow wholesome Holy Spirit teachings?

The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.

1 Timothy 4:1

Don't be fooled, this includes some in Churches. I expect all those with a heart for God’s will to commit to the same contribution I too shall contribute, Lord willing. For those whom insist on defeating this initiative, yes, wrath hoarders are among us, may God reward you according to your works!

Yet for the rest, God’s richest blessing on all else!

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
How would you advise the newer convert to Jesus Christ at being a good soldier in search of those who follow wholesome Holy Spirit teachings?
I had a dear friend, a fellow mom who used to spend time listening to me when I was a young new convert. She always pointed me in the direction of the words of Jesus. I really miss her, she died a few years back. What wonderful reunions we have to look forward to!

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many Christians here are known to have spent their lives in attaining sound aspects of truly walking in the Spirit, to God be the glory! How would you advise the newer convert to Jesus Christ at being a good soldier in search of those who follow wholesome Holy Spirit teachings?

The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.

Don't be fooled, this includes some in Churches. I expect all those with a heart for God’s will to commit to the same contribution I too shall contribute, Lord willing. For those whom insist on defeating this initiative, yes, wrath hoarders are among us, may God reward you according to your works!

Focus on Jesus Christ of Nazareth only.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Seek an older believer to mentor you.

Spend some time on the basics of how you read and understand the Bible. It is an ancient collection of books and is often imported into modern vernacular by new or well-meaning, nevertheless ignorant older Christian believers, out of context, or misinterpreted as literal when figurative, or without reference to whether it is under the Old or New Covenant. So take some time and work through the basic rules of Bible study.

Start going to church. Worship with a body of believers is critically important. Don't worry about denominations as much as loving service to those in need, and care for you as a new believer.

There is a core belief system to Christianity that only has a handful of beliefs. The idea is captured by C. S. Lewis as Mere Christianity, and is held by Catholics, Protestants, and Orthodox alike.

God loves man and seeks him out.
Man is separated from God due to moral failure.
Jesus has all the essential attributes of God and Man and came to die on the cross to atone for our sin
We can accept Christ's gift and become children of God by confessing our sin and asking Jesus to be Lord of our lives.

There are hundreds of various beliefs outside of the core that you will have to let your conscience guide over time. I don't hold certain beliefs I did when I first became saved. I hold other beliefs that I didn't believe to be true when I was first saved. Don't worry about the doctrine outside of the core at first. When you are better equipped to judge sound doctrine you will make some course corrections. Just don't mess up the core. No Jehovah's Witnesses, No Mormons.

Read books. There are hundreds. Some are complex, anything by Francis Schaeffer, G.K. Chesterton, Alvin Plantinga, or C.S. Lewis will be difficult to read. Know What You Believe and Know Why You Believe are good readable books by an author named by Paul Little. Gordon Fee is a Charismatic Evangelical author who is quite profound. Also Andrew Murray, an author from the late 19th century is a great Pentecostal resource.

God bless you on your journey to know and serve him.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,745.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
My advice to all new converts to Jesus Christ:-

Look for fellow believers who are gentle and peaceful, those whose lives are characterised by kindness and faithfulness. Look for those who speak kindly, rather than harshly, of others. In other words, those who show in their lives the fruits of the Holy Spirit.

Those who are the closest to Jesus are the very ones who will become more like Him. They will show undefeatable benevolence, unconquerable goodwill, will give without expecting anything in return, and will always seek the highest good for others.

The next step for the new convert is to ask these people to show them how they learned to pray.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There is a core belief system to Christianity, , ,

God loves man and seeks him out.
Man is separated from God due to moral failure.
Jesus has all the essential attributes of God and Man and came to die on the cross to atone for our sin
We can accept Christ's gift and become children of God by confessing our sin and asking Jesus to be Lord of our lives.
An invaluable perspective, one the Lord brought to my understanding long after my becoming a Christian. Love it, but just too infrequent.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Look for fellow believers who are gentle and peaceful, those whose lives are characterised by kindness and faithfulness. Look for those who speak kindly, rather than harshly, of others. In other words, those who show in their lives the fruits of the Holy Spirit.
How true the word bares this out for that early time of a believer's new life!

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,745.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
In my own experience, the Christians that have helped me most to grow in my own faith are those who have done much and said very little.
I remember going through a difficult time in my life and I stopped going to church on a Sunday. There was a very quiet couple I knew, who were very placid, didn't talk very much, never preached at me or told me that I was doing wrong. But, without fail, they phoned me every Sunday to ask how I was and to see if they could offer me a lift to church. Most of the time, I ignored the calls and they left messages. Most people would have given up, but they phoned me faithfully for well over a year and eventually I came back to the services. I will never forget their faithfulness and will always be inspired by their servant hearts.
I have also visited various monastic communities as a guest and have been given Christian hospitality by some of the most gracious, gentle and humble people I have ever met.
Back in the late 1990s, my landlord sold our house, and I was potentially faced with the prospect of becoming homeless. A Christian couple took me into their home and treated me like a member of their family.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In my own experience, the Christians that have helped me most to grow in my own faith are those who have done much and said very little.
I remember going through a difficult time in my life and I stopped going to church on a Sunday. There was a very quiet couple I knew, who were very placid, didn't talk very much, never preached at me or told me that I was doing wrong. But, without fail, they phoned me every Sunday to ask how I was and to see if they could offer me a lift to church. Most of the time, I ignored the calls and they left messages. Most people would have given up, but they phoned me faithfully for well over a year and eventually I came back to the services. I will never forget their faithfulness and will always be inspired by their servant hearts.
I have also visited various monastic communities as a guest and have been given Christian hospitality by some of the most gracious, gentle and humble people I have ever met.
Back in the late 1990s, my landlord sold our house, and I was potentially faced with the prospect of becoming homeless. A Christian couple took me into their home and treated me like a member of their family.
A priceless testimony brother! My, the things we run into to wit how people of God are laying up a good foundation for that day when we all see Him. I have to say, thank God for these who exhibit kindness during those first-steps, OR difficulties.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It is nearly inconceivable to think demonic influence can proceed from the podium of a Church, but many of us know one area of false spirituality that entices the younger so easily because of our rooting and being grounded in the word of God is critically needed to combat it.

Which is why so many have already voiced our need to be looked after by mature Christian oversight.

Still, those unfamiliar yet incredibly hungers and thirst after more of this life in the Spirit, there has sprung up relatively new and some decades old formulas that have no business in the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ.

For those seeking spiritual enrichment, it comes falsely confirmed from the pulpit as un-sound, but it shouldn’t be that hard to decipher after 10 or 15-minutes of the speaker’s delivery. Their deception shouldn’t be too hard to spot even without knowing all the assoc scriptures to counter with. Some of their many suggestions to look out for such as “Altered States” or ‘Increase of the many ways spirituality can impact the senses.

If anything of this sort is the case, you won’t find the seeker being advised to put on the whole armor of God in dealing with their perspective because it doesn’t deal in God’s will against sin, just a “journey” of self-enrichment.

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” - Matthew 6:33​

These are a start of things to be aware of.

Last edited:
Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Some of their many suggestions to look out for such as “Altered States” or ‘Increase of the many ways spirituality can impact the senses.
You can almost here the ‘natives’ getting restless over that one, can’t you?

Restless such as in ‘But Mike-Mike, , what about all that legitimate work God does in the child of God, how can you tell if it isn’t or is from God?’

Well, Anthony touched on it with one of his responses that is above the usual safeguards such as here,

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.

James 1:17​

My outlook should have the same constant as found described in God’s word. The gift from God should be coupled with these,

• A display of power
  • Without confusion

And above all, exhibiting that one fruit of the Spirit, “peace”.

Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,745.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Over the past year or so, I have been doing a lot of reading into what the early Christians taught and believed. What I have read has been quite astonishing and I sometimes feel that some of our churches today could learn from them.

The early Church saw themselves as a true family and they shared everything they had in common with each other. They did not have salaried ministers and there is no mention of paying subsididies to maintain church buildings. They shared their money with those in need, especially the poorer members of the brethren. In contrast, today's Christianity is big business. Did you like my sermon this morning? Buy the book! Do you read the Bible? Well, we sell all kinds of different versions - a Bible for students, a Bible for men or women, and even a special one that has been approved and endorsed by your favourite TV evangelist! (all debit and credit cards accepted).

The early Christians studied the word corporately. They were highly literate with the Bible. They also treated with great respect the traditions that had been passed on to them both orally and by letter. Today we have a do-it-yourself Christianity. We spend a lot of our time reading the Bible on our own, which is always a good thing, but we have lost the value of exploring our faith and learning together as a family. In the beginning, the brethren were truly united. There were no denominations. But now there are literally thousands of church denominations, each claiming that their way is the right one and that others are wrong.

The early Church had a very high view of the Eucharist and generally believed in the Real Presence. They would meet very regularly to share in Holy Communion. Today's Christians tend to celebrate this much less often. Once a week, once a month, once in a while, or perhaps not even at all.

In the early days of Christianity, the church was far from being militaristic. They were staunch pacifists, choosing to respond to evil with love. Many of them suffered for it. They did not spend a lot of time judging the actions of those outside its community or retaliating towards them. Sadly, over the centuries, those claiming to be Christ's followers have caused unimaginable suffering in the name of religion. Thankfully our churches today no longer burn dissenters and heretics at the stake, but neither have they shown genuine remorse or repentance. Many of them are still working tirelessly to keep those they dislike outside their church walls. People have to become just like us before we will welcome them as our brothers and sisters. They have to talk like us, dress like us, eat like us, and even vote for the same politicians we do, before we will accept that they are Christians. We spend more time having conversations about those who we wish to keep out, rather than those we wish to welcome in. The church could learn from the story of the tax collector who could not look up to heaven, but instead beat his breast saying "Lord have mercy on me a sinner".

The early church were certainly not soft on sin, and had great expectations of those who had committed themselves to the life of the church. But they were not a exclusive, holy huddle. They were a welcoming community, a serving community, a community of love and grace.

I think there are a lot of lessons we can learn from our early Christian brothers and sisters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You can almost here the ‘natives’ getting restless over that one, can’t you?

Restless such as in ‘But Mike-Mike, , what about all that legitimate work God does in the child of God, how can you tell if it isn’t or is from God?’

Well, Anthony touched on it with one of his responses that is above the usual safeguards such as here,

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.

James 1:17​

My outlook should have the same constant as found described in God’s word. The gift from God should be coupled with these,

• A display of power
  • Without confusion

And above all, exhibiting that one fruit of the Spirit, “peace”.
Spent 7 years in a Charismatic church, age 14-21, saw miraculous healing, much tongues and interpretation, some prophecy, some supernatural healing. One thing that I had to confront early was that emotional and intellectual maturity take a lot longer to develop than supernatural gifting (that occurs instantly).

Just like the very gifted Corinthian church was equally spiritually immature, we have to recognize that immaturity is not demonic in nature. But we won't grow spiritually, emotionally, or intellectually if we don't have a pastor whom has worked hard to develop those traits.

Now there are demonically empowered individuals preaching. I always thought Benny Hinn was an example of such an individual. But perhaps he was just an ignorant narcicist. Just kidding...he was evil. Had two friends that went to his conferences to have their loved ones prayed for. I was unable to persuade them that shouldn't attend. Both came back with healing stories. Symptoms were confirmed to have receded significantly by doctors in both cases. Within a week, both (10-year old girl and a 35-year old woman (not related), started to have nightmares, then started hearing voices saying blasphemous things, then objects started getting tossed around. You guessed it, both had become demonized by being prayed for by Benny!

That is the only malevolent preacher I know, but there are plenty like Joel Osteen, who couldn't find the gospel if you handed it to them with a bow wrapped around it. Robert Schuller and his Hour of Power was that way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Over the past year or so, I have been doing a lot of reading into what the early Christians taught and believed. What I have read has been quite astonishing and I sometimes feel that some of our churches today could learn from them.

The early Church saw themselves as a true family and they shared everything they had in common with each other. They did not have salaried ministers and there is no mention of paying subsididies to maintain church buildings. They shared their money with those in need, especially the poorer members of the brethren. In contrast, today's Christianity is big business. Did you like my sermon this morning? Buy the book! Do you read the Bible? Well, we sell all kinds of different versions - a Bible for students, a Bible for men or women, and even a special one that has been approved and endorsed by your favourite TV evangelist! (all debit and credit cards accepted).

The early Christians studied the word corporately. They were highly literate with the Bible. They also treated with great respect the traditions that had been passed on to them both orally and by letter. Today we have a do-it-yourself Christianity. We spend a lot of our time reading the Bible on our own, which is always a good thing, but we have lost the value of exploring our faith and learning together as a family. In the beginning, the brethren were truly united. There were no denominations. But now there are literally thousands of church denominations, each claiming that their way is the right one and that others are wrong.

The early Church had a very high view of the Eucharist and generally believed in the Real Presence. They would meet very regularly to share in Holy Communion. Today's Christians tend to celebrate this much less often. Once a week, once a month, once in a while, or perhaps not even at all.

In the early days of Christianity, the church was far from being militaristic. They were staunch pacifists, choosing to respond to evil with love. Many of them suffered for it. They did not spend a lot of time judging the actions of those outside its community or retaliating towards them. Sadly, over the centuries, those claiming to be Christ's followers have caused unimaginable suffering in the name of religion. Thankfully our churches today no longer burn dissenters and heretics at the stake, but neither have they shown genuine remorse or repentance. Many of them are still working tirelessly to keep those they dislike outside their church walls. People have to become just like us before we will welcome them as our brothers and sisters. They have to talk like us, dress like us, eat like us, and even vote for the same politicians we do, before we will accept that they are Christians. We spend more time having conversations about those who we wish to keep out, rather than those we wish to welcome in. The church could learn from the story of the tax collector who could not look up to heaven, but instead beat his breast saying "Lord have mercy on me a sinner".

The early church were certainly not soft on sin, and had great expectations of those who had committed themselves to the life of the church. But they were not a exclusive, holy huddle. They were a welcoming community, a serving community, a community of love and grace.

I think there are a lot of lessons we can learn from our early Christian brothers and sisters.

Yes, I recognize such a lot of this as being true, although we have some good Churches locally, and things have improved, 'Thankfully our churches today no longer burn dissenters and heretics at the stake',
The new Church we have joined is 'a welcoming community, a serving community, a community of love and grace'.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You guessed it, both had become demonized by being prayed for by Benny!
I am aware of the unfortunate message from Osteen and the failure of stopping short of the fundamentals. With Benny Hinn, it would be nice to see where his message falters, saying, compared with the known legitimate preaching of the cross, healing and Holy Spirit living from the archives of Kenneth Hagin?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Of course. we surely could benefit. As they had all things in common and was welcomed in the community. The development thereafter had minor and major corrections along the way which were also recorded. But as Jesus said, "if they hated me, they will hate you". One can't dismiss the community that welcomed them with this in place, because they were still babes in Christ and under the delicate care of our loving heavenly Father, Jesus' advocacy and the Spirit's help, growing to maturity does take time.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am aware of the unfortunate message from Osteen and the failure of stopping short of the fundamentals. With Benny Hinn, it would be nice to see where his message falters, saying, compared with the known legitimate preaching of the cross, healing and Holy Spirit living from the archives of Kenneth Hagin?
His message is similar to Copeland, Oral Roberts, Hagin, but his practice is that of a sorcerer. I don't want to make any sweeping genralizations here. My claim is not that health and wealth false teaching leads to pastors who demonize those they pray for, but rather my experience of Benny (small as it is) suggests that it is in the realm of possibility.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Spent 7 years in a Charismatic church, age 14-21, saw miraculous healing, much tongues and interpretation, some prophecy, some supernatural healing. One thing that I had to confront early was that emotional and intellectual maturity take a lot longer to develop than supernatural gifting (that occurs instantly).

Just like the very gifted Corinthian church was equally spiritually immature, we have to recognize that immaturity is not demonic in nature. But we won't grow spiritually, emotionally, or intellectually if we don't have a pastor whom has worked hard to develop those traits.

Now there are demonically empowered individuals preaching. I always thought Benny Hinn was an example of such an individual. But perhaps he was just an ignorant narcicist. Just kidding...he was evil. Had two friends that went to his conferences to have their loved ones prayed for. I was unable to persuade them that shouldn't attend. Both came back with healing stories. Symptoms were confirmed to have receded significantly by doctors in both cases. Within a week, both (10-year old girl and a 35-year old woman (not related), started to have nightmares, then started hearing voices saying blasphemous things, then objects started getting tossed around. You guessed it, both had become demonized by being prayed for by Benny!

That is the only malevolent preacher I know, but there are plenty like Joel Osteen, who couldn't find the gospel if you handed it to them with a bow wrapped around it. Robert Schuller and his Hour of Power was that way.
When the gift goes forth and 'healed all who were sick and oppressed of the Devil', I would expected to hear many 'still healed' testimonies to the glory of God. Some are caught on YouTube but, like the nine who were healed but forgot to give Him glory, most of these recordings are sloppy without thanks!

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting that the Scriptures plainly say that a bad tree cannot produce good fruit, yet the ministries being bandied about here have a long record of producing good fruit.

I know of several first hand accounts including a child who was missing a chromosome be completely healed (Doctor confirmed) after Benny Hinn prayed for him.

I'd rather leave the judgement to God where it belongs.

• Informative
Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Focus on doing works that experience, love, believe in, and testify about aspects of God's nature/fruits of the Spirit.

Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0