Gettin' that old time religion!
Feb 12, 2004
Greenville, SC
✟16,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you observe a regular fast, do you continue to observe it when you are sick, or do you lessen it somewhat? I'm thinking here of "limited" fasts--such as the Orthodox practice of abstaining from all animal products, oil, and wine on Wednesdays and Fridays--rather than total fasts (i.e., eating nothing all day).

I have an awful cold right now, and while there is no particular reason why it should keep me from fasting, I of course want "comfort foods" that include ingredients that are off limits on fast days.

Cradle

Greek East Anglian Russian Eastern Orthodox
Apr 1, 2004
✟621.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
We do lessen and even totally drop the fast for health reasons. It is not even church economy; dropping the fast when we are sick and a certain food will help us get well sooner is church precision. I would risk saying that any spiritual father, even of the most zealous type, will leave it on your conscience and give you his blessing to break the fast for health reasons if you see fit.

Purely theoretically and generally speaking, for long-term illnesses, it all depends on the illness. There are health conditions on which not only we can, but we medically should abstain from certain foods, even on feast days. There are other health conditions on which we shouldn't fast. The Church obviously doesn't go against common sense. Further, a long-term ill person does not need to fast, simply because the goals of fasting (humility, willingness to pray, ascetism, focusing the mind on the Lord rather than on earthly pleasures) are given to them by Divine Economy through the illness.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've found that when I am sick, a good hot soup - that follows the fast - helps me tremendously. Oftentimes, I have a buildup of toxins in my liver which are greatly alleviated by eating potato-vegetable soup and drinking juices. Meat makes it worse.

For Potato Soup:

Chop up potatoes, carrots, and celery.

Place in a pot of water. Bring the pot of water to boiling.

Quickly saute some onions and garlic in olive oil.

Add the saute to the pot of cooking vegetables.

Add a little salt.

For variety - add zucchini, brown rice (instead of potatoes), tomatoes, mushrooms, turnips, green beans, sweet peas, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

Hope this helps.

However, for certain illnesses, nothing beats chicken broth -- and the Orthodox Church has a canon which forbids the sick from observing the fast.

I've known priests who ate meat during Lent because they were sick.

Pregnant and lactating women also should not fast.

Yours in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Momzilla, I agree with Cradle on this one. I would ask my priest about fasting when you are sick. Some people can't fast at all because of health reasons. Diabetics can't do the fast before taking Communion that most of us do. They can pass out if they try. They often feel guilty, and the priest/spiritual father basically has to order them to eat or drink something (like orange juice) before Communion.

Upvote 0