Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So incredibly sad. I truly wish his parents hadn't put their family in the limelight. None of their children asked to be made some time of celebrities. :(
EVERY. ONE. SINS. God does not see YOUR sin any less then MY sin. SIN is SIN.
The only difference is Josh Duggar is the media. His sin is made public and everyone seems to think they have the right to judge him.
Unfortunately, this makes Christians look bad and suddenly all Christians are painted by the same brush.

Comments like this...
Seriously. Quiverfull is a dangerous and stupid cult.

Sorry but IT IS NOT dangerous nor is it a cult! It is a belief. Many people strongly believe that children are a blessing from the Lord and they gladly accept ALL and ANY blessings given to them by the Lord.
I believe children are a blessing and I plan to have a quiverful....the only difference is I believe in planning my quiver. Others might view that differently.

My heart aches for Anna and her children and the rest of the family.

The family needs our prayers as brothers and sisters in Christ not our condemnation.

I also ache for how Christianity is going to be viewed because of this. :(

May the Lord forgive us and strengthen us during these dark days.
May we all humbly stand up for Jesus.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟174,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So incredibly sad. I truly wish his parents hadn't put their family in the limelight. None of their children asked to be made some time of celebrities. :(
The only difference is Josh Duggar is the media. His sin is made public and everyone seems to think they have the right to judge him.
Unfortunately, this makes Christians look bad and suddenly all Christians are painted by the same brush.

Comments like this...

Sorry but IT IS NOT dangerous nor is it a cult! It is a belief. Many people strongly believe that children are a blessing from the Lord and they gladly accept ALL and ANY blessings given to them by the Lord.
I believe children are a blessing and I plan to have a quiverful....the only difference is I believe in planning my quiver. Others might view that differently.

The family needs our prayers as brothers and sisters in Christ not our condemnation.

Bill Gothard's teachings/group qualify as a cult. Former followers that got out view it as such. Their stories are heart-breaking and follow the 'got out of a cult' model. You would do well to go read some of their stories about how they were controlled and lived lives where they were discouraged from becoming educated, pushed into marrying young via weird 'courtships', and immediately pushed into having lots of babies with no birth control. The girls have to 'keep sweet' and they have all kinds of ridiculous teachings that have nada to with Christianity.

Upvote 0

Foamhead

I like water
Aug 27, 2005
✟42,341.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Technically true ;).

*Bang!*
-HOLY !*@ You just shot a man!
-- What's the big deal?
- YOU SHOT SOMEONE
-- That was an earlier point in my life. I am a changed man now. Why are you so upset?
- THAT WAS TWO SECONDS AGO
-- Exactly, earlier point in my life.

Pretty much.

Upvote 0

Foamhead

I like water
Aug 27, 2005
✟42,341.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others

Comments like this...

I believe children are a blessing and I plan to have a quiverfull....the only difference is I believe in planning my quiver. Others might view that differently.

You really should educate yourself on what the Quiverfull movement teaches. "Planned quiverfull" is an oxymoron in that movement, like saying "misogynistic suffragette". They are highly controlling and put dad above all things. Women have no control over their lives, who they marry and are not allowed to get educated. They are kept unemployable and totally dependent on their husbands. If you think that is a wonderful lifestyle than that is your prerogative and your future daughters injury.

I have no pity for religious hypocrites and moral values crusaders who diddle their sisters and cheat on their wives.

Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't need to educate myself about it. I am well aware of the Quiverfull beliefs.
I am not standing up for some perversion of scripture. I know families who believe in allowing God to decide their family size and they are nothing like you describe.
I'm only saying we mustn't be judging others.

Keep this family in your prayers. Lest we forget our own sinfulness, meditate on 1 Corinthians 10:12-13 and 2 Peter 3:17

Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people and lose your own stability.

Reactions: Teegan
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟174,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Poor Anna. With young children and limited education, how can she manage if she leaves josh?

It is as if this duggar form of system forces the wives to be trapped.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's exactly the problem.

She is the one I feel most sorry for. I bet she is wishing she had thought harder about what he had confessed to her before their marriage. When you start getting into the sexual sin, you often go deeper into it.

Also, evidently the apology that is on the Duggar website has gone through some revisions since the original one went up, according to an updated article in Gawker:

http://gawker.com/josh-duggars-apology-i-have-been-the-biggest-hypocrit-1725405629

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟213,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability
It was apparently beyond Josh Duggar's ability. Since we all sin, as you say, perhaps it is beyond all our abilities.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Sorry but IT IS NOT dangerous nor is it a cult!
What are Anna Duggar's options? Right now, what can she do? Her husband is a cheating, child-molesting, sanctimonious prick. Even according to the bible, she's justified in leaving him. In any healthy relationship, she would. But here, in this case, could she? Could she make it on her own? Her particularly noxious brand of Christianity has rendered her unemployable as anything other than a housewife. She has next to no education, virtually no money (or control over her husband's finances), and she's stuck in a situation where she could leave, leaving her children to a child molester and becoming homeless, or she could stay with Josh, who is a cheater, a child molester, and a real piece of work. Personally, I'd recommend starting a kickstarter - "Help me get away from my monstrous spouse without ending up as a bag lady" - although given the audience of 19 kids and counting, I doubt she'll find too much support.

Quiverful is disgusting to me as a person who values personal liberty and women's rights. It's a horrid system based around keeping women completely subservient to their husbands, and leading a life as described in the old testament - first as their father's property, then as their husband's. The people who have escaped this system are faced with many of the same consequences as they would face leaving a cult - being cut off from friends, family, and any form of financial or emotional support; being trapped in a situation where they cannot leave because the cult robbed them of their options; feeling abused and traumatized.

If there's one thing I could say about Quiverful that I consider positive, it's that it is truly reflective of the bible's teachings and its attitude towards women. Now if only more women could figure that one out. The fact that you believe in family planning already disqualifies you from the movement, sadly.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I said this someplace else but, imo, Anna Duggar should tell her husband to move on out and not come back until he has been in accredited counseling for at least six months and is making progress. That's progress according to the counselor, not to Josh. In the meantime, for goodness sake get that little girl checked out, because who knows if he really moved on to adult women (and really, that's a good thing?)

If he was genuinely repentant when he issued his last set of excuses (it wasn't an apology), he could have said then "I've also betrayed my wife" and then he should have taken down his website, where he and his wife give advice to other married couples (SMH) and retired entirely from public life. The family should have all shut their mouths and stopped issuing these nonsense statements, and just given us all a break. Instead, oh the Duggars are going to have a show about child molestation (really? I mean, how much bad taste can anyone have?) and they're whining that they got cut off financially and asking their supporters for money? I'm just confounded. I've never come across such greedy, messed up, self-obsessed people as these "Christians." And they still don't get it! I wish they'd just go away and get over their obsession with fame and money.

As for everyone else being sinners - I've managed to remain faithful to my husband all these years, and managed not to molest any children, nor tell endless lies to the world, nor pretend to be something I'm not. Sure, I screw up every now and then, but this guy? And this family? This seems to be American Christianity in a nutshell.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Gosh this guy.... he's just designed to be something I loath and revile.

I hate hypocrites, the more vocal the more vile, and I hate people who cheat on their mates.

No doubt he'll somehow show contrition and the morons who follow him will continue to follow him.

Hey it worked for Robert Tilton.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear. And the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

And of course: That is not dead which can eternal lie And with strange aeons even death may die.

I can't think of a greater compliment to a writer of fiction than to have his works long outlive him/her and to have those writings be of great influence.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn! to you! ;)
tulc(waiting for the stars to be right...for more coffee!) :coffee:

Upvote 0

Foamhead

I like water
Aug 27, 2005
✟42,341.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
I don't need to educate myself about it. I am well aware of the Quiverfull beliefs.
I am not standing up for some perversion of scripture. I know families who believe in allowing God to decide their family size and they are nothing like you describe.
I'm only saying we mustn't be judging others.

Keep this family in your prayers. Lest we forget our own sinfulness, meditate on 1 Corinthians 10:12-13 and 2 Peter 3:17

Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people and lose your own stability.

Perverting scripture is a specialty of evangelical Christians.

I didn't say everyone who allows the magical sky man to decide on their family size were like I described. I was talking specifically about the quiverfull movement. If you are truly educated on what this cult teaches and still think they are a dandy group then knock yourself out. As I said it's your prerogative and your future daughters injury. However I sincerely doubt you have done any research whatsoever on this movement, and likely you base your views of the Duggars and their lifestyle on their highly edited television show.

Many women have escaped that cult and posted online about their beliefs and teachings. Try googling them sometime.

As to "don't judge"...that verse essentially means not to hold yourself above others or cast aspersions. It doesn't mean to abandon common sense and good judgement. Josh Duggar is a kiddy diddling adulterer and total hypocrite. if only he were the exception and not the rule among these evangelical blowhards.

Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Who cares???

It's not like you don't have stuff up in yo closet you don't want yo momma an them to find out about...

Yes, but I haven't sought out a wife who was explicitly kept from an education in order to keep her unemployable "wife material", and I also am not a hardcore advocate for "family values".

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.