FAMILY NAME YHWH

Sabian

Jul 11, 2003
key's
Visit site
✟466.00
YAHSHUA said HE came in HIS FATHER's name.

What if YHWH is the Family name?

The Hebrew Elohim(#430) is written 2605 times - EL(#410) 242 times - Yahweh(#3068) 6528 times - Adon(#113) 330 times - Adonay(#136) 432 times - Yah (#3050) 52 times.

The english Lord God is written 3799 times but it is a mixture of Yahweh(#3068)-Elohim(#430) and Adonay(#136)-Yahweh(#3069).

The Hebrew YHWH(#3069) is translated to God 309 times. so YHWH is actually written 6528+309=6837 times. To that add the 137 times that YHWH is written as ELOHIM(Bullingers Companion Bible appendix 32 copied from the Ginsberg translation of the Hebrew Massorah(the Massorah existed prior to vowel points/its margin notations were used to assist the Masorites in properly placing vowel points in words that had become archaic and their pronunciation was in dispute and also contained notes where the scribes had made changes in the text and what was in the original).

The Massorah margin notations showed that the scribes had altered Gen 18:22 to read "but Abraham stood yet before YHWH" instead of the orginal "but Yahweh stood yet before Abraham" because that placed YHWH in what appeared to be a subservient postion in relation to Abraham.

KJV
Gen 18:22 And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before YHWH.

Jun 25, 2003
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
✟9,288.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Family name? I couldn't say. After all "im" on the end means plural doesn't it?
Here is an article that shows in the Dead Sea Scrolls that YHWH's name was kept in the old Hebrew form in the more modern Hebrew scripture:
http://www.eliyah.com/yhwhdss.html
And here you will see two more pictures of fragments that show the original Hebrew spelling of YHWH in the Septuagint(which is a greek translation):
http://www.eliyah.com/lxx.html
I feel that we should keep the original name of our Father in Heaven. Don't you?

Shalom,

Tag

Upvote 0

Sabian

Jul 11, 2003
key's
Visit site
✟466.00
Shalom Shamash Of Yeshua
I just read you post this is not a reply.
But Psalms is a big part of the dead sea scrolls
Look at Psalms 68.
Have not gone to your links yet so that is all i have to say now.

Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt(#4637) among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the FATHER,) full of grace and truth. #4637 From #4636; to tent or encamp, that is, (figuratively) to occupy (as a mansion) or (specifically) to reside (as God did in the Tabernacle of old, a symbol fo protection and communion): - dwell.

Joh 17:5 And now, O FATHER glorify thou ME with thine OWNSELF with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

Mat 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a SON, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, ELOHIM with us.

Act 7:2 And he said, Men, brethren, and fathers, hearken; The ELOHIM of glory appeared unto our father Abraham, when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Charran,

Upvote 0

Sabian

Jul 11, 2003
key's
Visit site
✟466.00
Figured I would put this here.
Reasons for not useing the name of YHWH

The sacred name is too sacred for any common man to utter.

We are not required to use the sacred name.

The sacred name has no real value.

It is a Hebrew name for the almighty and it is not necessary for someone to use it if he does
not speak Hebrew.

It is a name required only of the Israelites or Jews.

The messiah and his apostles never used the sacred name, which is reflected by the fact that
the sacred name is not found in the New Testament.

The name "Jesus" for Christians or "Allah" for the Moslems are now the required names for
salvation.

The correct pronunciation of the sacred name has over the centuries been lost, therefore, we
are relieved of the requirement to use it.

The hybrid form "Jehovah" has been a substitute for the sacred name during the last four
centuries. Since this tradition is now popular and well-known there is no need to revert back to
the original form of the sacred name.

Our heavenly father allows us to use substitute names and titles, like Lord, God, Adonai, and
so on, because the purpose of a word is to transmit thought. Therefore, since he knows what
we mean, any name we wish to utilize is admissible.

The sacred name was not revealed until the days of Moses. Since there was no knowledge of it
prior to Moses, it stands that the name is not an eternal one. Therefore, since it was not
required for the salvation of those who antedate Moses, such as Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,
neither is it necessary for us today.

We speak English (Arabic, Italian, etc.), not Hebrew. Accordingly, we must use an English
(Arabic, Italian, etc.) name for our heavenly father.

The use of any proper name for the one and only deity, as though there were other gods from
whom he had to be distinguished, was discontinued in Judaism before the Christian era and is
entirely inappropriate for the universal faith of the Church.

Here are a few verses that have to do with that name, and by reading them one can see why I use it:

Gen 12:8 He left from there to the mountain on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent, having Bethel on the west, and Ai on the east. There he built an altar to Yahweh, and called on the name of Yahweh.

Gen 13:4 to the place of the altar, which he had made there at the first. There Abram called on the name of Yahwe

Gen 16:13 She called the name of Yahweh who spoke to her, "You are a God who sees," for she said, "Have I even stayed alive after seeing him?"

Gen 21:33 Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba, and called there on the name of Yahweh, the Everlasting God.

Exo 20:7 "You shall not take the name of Yahweh your God in vain (to distort it, change it, or do away with it), for Yahweh will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.

Exo 33:19 He said, "I will make all my goodness pass before you, and will proclaim the name of Yahweh before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy."

Exo 34:5 Yahweh descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of Yahweh

Lev 24:16 He who blasphemes the name of Yahweh, he shall surely be put to death; all the congregation shall certainly stone him: the foreigner as well as the native-born, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.

Deu 18:5 For Yahweh your God has chosen him out of all your tribes, to stand to minister in the name of Yahweh, him and his sons for ever.

Deu 28:10 All the peoples of the earth shall see that you are called by the name of Yahweh; and they shall be afraid of you.

Deu 32:3 For I will proclaim the name of Yahweh: Ascribe greatness to our God.

Jos 9:9 They said to him, From a very far country your servants are come because of the name of Yahweh your God: for we have heard the fame of him, and all that he did in Egypt,

1Sa 17:45 Then said David to the Philistine, You come to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a javelin: but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.

2Sa 6:2 David arose, and went with all the people who were with him, from Baale Judah, to bring up from there the ark of God, which is called by the Name, even the name of Yahweh of Hosts who sits above the cherubim.

2Sa 6:18 When David had made an end of offering the burnt offering and the peace-offerings, he blessed the people in the name of Yahweh of Hosts.

1Ki 5:5 Behold, I purpose to build a house for the name of Yahweh my God, as Yahweh spoke to David my father, saying, Your son, whom I will set on your throne in your room, he shall build the house for my name.

1Ki 18:24 Call you on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of Yahweh; and the God who answers by fire, let him be God. All the people answered, It is well spoken.

2Ki 2:24 He looked behind him and saw them, and cursed them in the name of Yahweh. There came forth two she-bears out of the wood, and mauled forty-two lads of them.

2Ch 2:4 Behold, I am about to build a house for the name of Yahweh my God, to dedicate it to him, and to burn before him incense of sweet spices, and for the continual show bread, and for the burnt offerings morning and evening, on the Sabbaths, and on the new moons, and on the set feasts of Yahweh our God. This is an ordinance forever to Israel.

Job 1:21 He said, "Naked I came out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return there. Yahweh gave, and Yahweh has taken away. Blessed be the name of Yahweh."

Psa 20:7 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses, But we trust the name of Yahweh our God.

Psa 113:1 Praise Yah! Praise, you servants of Yahweh, Praise the name of Yahweh.

Psa 113:2 Blessed be the name of Yahweh, From this time forth and forevermore.

Psa 116:4 Then called I on the name of Yahweh: "Yahweh, I beg you, deliver my soul."

Psa 116:13 I will take the cup of salvation, and call on the name of Yahweh.

Psa 118:10 All the nations surrounded me, But in the name of Yahweh, I cut them off.

Psa 118:26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of Yahweh! We have blessed you out of the house of Yahweh.

Psa 124:8 Our help is in the name of Yahweh, Who made heaven and earth.

Psa 135:1 Praise Yah! Praise the name of Yahweh! Praise him, you servants of Yahweh,

Pro 18:10 The name of Yahweh is a strong tower: The righteous run to him, and are safe.

Isa 18:7 In that time shall a present be brought to Yahweh of Hosts from a people tall and smooth, even from a people awesome from their beginning onward, a nation that measures out and treads down, whose land the rivers divide, to the place of the name of Yahweh of Hosts, Mount Zion.

Isa 24:15 Therefore glorify Yahweh in the east, even the name of Yahweh, the God of Israel, in the isles of the sea!

Isa 30:27 Behold, the name of Yahweh comes from far, burning with his anger, and in thick rising smoke: his lips are full of indignation, and his tongue is as a devouring fire...

Isa 48:1 Hear you this, house of Jacob, who are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah; who swear by the name of Yahweh, and make mention of the God of Israel, but not in truth, nor in righteousness

Isa 50:10 Who is among you who fears Yahweh, who obeys the voice of his servant? He who walks in darkness, and has no light, let him trust in the name of Yahweh, and rely on his God.

Isa 56:6 Also the foreigners who join themselves to Yahweh, to minister to him, and to love the name of Yahweh, to be his servants, everyone who keeps the Sabbath from profaning it, and holds fast my covenant.

Isa 60:9 Surely the isles shall wait for me, and the ships of Tarshish first, to bring your sons from far, their silver and their gold with them, for the name of Yahweh your God, and for the Holy One of Israel, because he has glorified you.

Joe 2:32 It will happen that whoever will call on the name of Yahweh shall be saved; For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be those who escape, As Yahweh has said, And among the remnant, those whom Yahweh calls.

Mic 4:5 Indeed all the nations may walk in the name of their gods; But we will walk in the name of Yahweh our God forever and ever.

Mic 5:4 He shall stand, and shall shepherd in the strength of Yahweh, In the majesty of the name of Yahweh his God: And they will live, for then he will be great to the ends of the earth.

Zep 3:9 For then I will purify the lips of the peoples, that they may all call on the name of Yahweh, to serve him shoulder to shoulder.

Psa 148:1 Praise Yah! Praise Yahweh from the heavens! Praise him in the heights!
Psa 148:2 Praise him, all his angels! Praise him, all his host!
Psa 148:3 Praise him, sun and moon! Praise him, all you shining stars!
Psa 148:4 Praise him, you heavens of heavens, You waters that are above the heavens.
Psa 148:5 Let them praise the name of Yahweh, For he commanded, and they were created.
Psa 148:6 He has also established them forever and ever. He has made a decree which will not pass away.
Psa 148:7 Praise Yahweh from the earth, You great sea creatures, and all depths!
Psa 148:8 Lightning and hail, snow and clouds; Stormy wind, fulfilling his word;
Psa 148:9 Mountains and all hills; Fruit trees and all cedars;
Psa 148:10 Wild animals and all cattle; Small creatures and flying birds;
Psa 148:11 Kings of the earth and all peoples; Princes and all judges of the earth;
Psa 148:12 Both young men and maidens; Old men and children:
Psa 148:13 Let them praise the name of Yahweh, For his name alone is exalted. His glory is above the earth and the heavens.
Psa 148:14 He has lifted up the horn of his people, The praise of all his saints; Even of the children of Israel, a people near to him. Praise YAH!

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2003
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
✟9,288.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Sabian said:
Figured I would put this here.
Reasons for not useing the name of YHWH

The sacred name is too sacred for any common man to utter.

We are not required to use the sacred name.

The sacred name has no real value.

It is a Hebrew name for the almighty and it is not necessary for someone to use it if he does
not speak Hebrew.

It is a name required only of the Israelites or Jews.

The messiah and his apostles never used the sacred name, which is reflected by the fact that
the sacred name is not found in the New Testament.

The name "Jesus" for Christians or "Allah" for the Moslems are now the required names for
salvation.

The correct pronunciation of the sacred name has over the centuries been lost, therefore, we
are relieved of the requirement to use it.
Shalom Sabien,
Please provide scripture to back the above claims with.
The hybrid form "Jehovah" has been a substitute for the sacred name during the last four
centuries. Since this tradition is now popular and well-known there is no need to revert back to
the original form of the sacred name.
Remember that the letter J didn't exist in Hebrew. And remembering you showed us many names of people with YHWH's name within them tells me we do have ways of knowing how to pronounce HIS NAME. If you haven't looked at those two links I provided in my last post in this thread, then I recommend that you now look at them.
Family name? I couldn't say. After all "im" on the end means plural doesn't it?
Here is an article that shows in the Dead Sea Scrolls that YHWH's name was kept in the old Hebrew form in the more modern(not meaning todays modern Hebrew, but back when the Dead Sea Scrolls were written) Hebrew scripture:
http://www.eliyah.com/yhwhdss.html
And here you will see two more pictures of fragments that show the original Hebrew spelling of YHWH in the Septuagint(which is a greek translation):
http://www.eliyah.com/lxx.html
I feel that we should keep the original name of our Father in Heaven. Don't you?

Shalom,

Tag
Our heavenly father allows us to use substitute names and titles, like Lord, God, Adonai, and
so on, because the purpose of a word is to transmit thought. Therefore, since he knows what
we mean, any name we wish to utilize is admissible.
Then can I use the name Baal then? Or how about Zues or Odin? Why not Grandfather or Great Spirit? I suppose that if your name was sacred that you wouldn't mind others to use other names that aren't your name to call upon you? Let me put it this way. If someone came upto you and said they worship Baal or Odin then what would you be thinking? Of course I think you would be thinking that they are worshipping a MAN-made God wouldn't you? Maybe I am being a little strict here. Of course YHWH knows we are talking of HIM when we call upon HIM. Yet when we call upon HIM in some transliterated form that came by way of Non-Israelite fashion I would have to question it.
The sacred name was not revealed until the days of Moses. Since there was no knowledge of it
prior to Moses, it stands that the name is not an eternal one. Therefore, since it was not
required for the salvation of those who antedate Moses, such as Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,
neither is it necessary for us today.
Tell me how you would know this? Didn't Adam and Eve Know YHWH personally? If you knew someone personally wouldn't you know their name?
We speak English (Arabic, Italian, etc.), not Hebrew. Accordingly, we must use an English
(Arabic, Italian, etc.) name for our heavenly father.
That doesn't mean that YHWH's name should be changed. Of course MAN has tried to transliterate our Creator's Name to the best of THIER abilities. Of course we know that MAN tends to LEAN ON HIS OWN UNDERSTANDING.
The use of any proper name for the one and only deity, as though there were other gods from
whom he had to be distinguished, was discontinued in Judaism before the Christian era and is
entirely inappropriate for the universal faith of the Church.
Tell me why Isaiah would say to the Baal Prophets "If YHWH then YHWH, it Baal then Baal" I can't remember right off the whole scripture, yet I can remember that instance.
Here are a few verses that have to do with that name, and by reading them one can see why I use it:

Gen 12:8 He left from there to the mountain on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent, having Bethel on the west, and Ai on the east. There he built an altar to Yahweh, and called on the name of Yahweh.
Exo 20:7 "You shall not take the name of Yahweh your God in vain (to distort it, change it, or do away with it), for Yahweh will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.
If in the previous sentences that you wrote about we don't need to call upon our Creator with a specific name then why do you bring all these scriptures up?
Take note of Exodus 20:7 I highlighted a portion that you added or someone did to explain "Vain" If I were to take YHWH's name and change it according to that little addition then I would be wrong in saying YHWH's name is Jehovah or any other form. I understand that they tried to do a Transliteration, yet I see them failing in that sense since we don't pronounce the letters like they did when this was done. So tell me why shouldn't we seek to know YHWH personally by learning HIS Name.

Shalom,
Tag

Upvote 0
Here is something worth looking at:

Acts 2
14 But Peter, taking his stand with the eleven, raised his voice and declared to them: "Men of Judea and all you who live in Jerusalem, let this be known to you and give heed to my words.
15 "For these men are not drunk, as you suppose, for it is only the third hour of the day;
16 but this is what was spoken of through the prophet Joel:
'AND IT SHALL BE IN THE LAST DAYS,' God says,
'THAT I WILL POUR FORTH OF MY SPIRIT ON ALL MANKIND;
AND YOUR SONS AND YOUR DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHESY,
AND YOUR YOUNG MEN SHALL SEE VISIONS,
AND YOUR OLD MEN SHALL DREAM DREAMS;
EVEN ON MY BONDSLAVES, BOTH MEN AND WOMEN,
I WILL IN THOSE DAYS POUR FORTH OF MY SPIRIT
And they shall prophesy.
'AND I WILL GRANT WONDERS IN THE SKY ABOVE
AND SIGNS ON THE EARTH BELOW,
BLOOD, AND FIRE, AND VAPOR OF SMOKE.
'THE SUN WILL BE TURNED INTO DARKNESS
AND THE MOON INTO BLOOD,
BEFORE THE GREAT AND GLORIOUS DAY OF THE LORD SHALL COME.
'AND IT SHALL BE THAT EVERYONE WHO CALLS ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.'

Now let me stop right there and say that Peter does a fairly decent Job of quoting Joel. Now I checked out what Joel exactly said. He said this:

Joel 2
32 "And it will come about that whoever calls on the name of the LORD Will be delivered;

Now Joel actually said "whoever calls on the name of YHWH will be delivered" in Hebrew. Understanding (as we have spoke before) that "Adonai" became a spoken substitute title for YHWH as no one wanted to utter it, and that is why most English versions substitute "LORD" in capital letters for the Old Testament. That is to let you know YHWH is really what the Hebrew says.

So understanding that, when Peter quoted Joel to these Jews, he probably would have said "Adonai" (and in Greek that is Kurios). So all of these Jews hearing him know Peter is talking about YHWH so far. No problems... But then check this out...

36 "Therefore let all the house of Israel know for certain that God has made Him both Lord and Christ--this Jesus whom you crucified."

This would have stunned the Jewish audience. Peter has already establed that YHWH/Lord is the vehicle for salvation. Peter then goes on to say that Jesus, whom they persecuted, was not only the Messiah, but "Lord" and the Jews knew that meant Jesus is YHWH! This is why Acts goes on to say:

37 Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren, what shall we do?"

Paul said it this way:
Philipians 2
2:5
Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus,

2:6
who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,

Before Jesus became a man, He was in Heaven as a divine being.

2:7
but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.

2:8
Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

So the pre-existing God took on the form of humanity.

2:9
For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name,

2:10
so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

2:11
and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

What Paul is saying is God the Father RESTORED Jesus to His PRE-EXISTING STATUS He had BEFORE He emptied Himself and took on humanity! That is why it gives glory to the Father, because the Father is the one who restored Him by His mighty power! The Father exalted Jesus BACK to what He was previously, and this is made apparent by the Father giving Him back His "family name."

What is the name that is above every name? That should be easy. It is YHWH. Paul goes on to back this up by quoting Isaiah. Look here:

Isaiah
45:21
"Declare and set forth your case; Indeed, let them consult together. Who has announced this from of old ? Who has long since declared it? Is it not I, the LORD? And there is no other God besides Me, A righteous God and a Savior; There is none except Me.

45:22
"Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth; For I am God, and there is no other.

So we have established that YHWH is speaking (obviously) and He says He is the savior, and there are no other gods, only YHWH.

45:23
"I have sworn by Myself, The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness And will not turn back, That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance.

Now look again what Paul said:

2:10
so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

2:11
and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

What Paul is getting at is what Peter was getting at. YHWH is not the name of one being, but one God. One in UNITY. Look what Paul says:

2:6
who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,

2:7
but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.

This is exactly what John said in his Gospel:

John 1
1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

1:2
He was in the beginning with God.

So there are at least 2 "people" here. This is basically what Paul was saying in Philippians. Now check this out:

Isaiah 45
45:18
For thus says the LORD, who created the heavens (He is the God who formed the earth and made it, He established it and did not create it a waste place, but formed it to be inhabited), "I am the LORD, and there is none else.

Lets go back to John:

John 1
1:3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

This is further evidence that Jesus Christ was/is a "piece" of what YHWH is. Before Jesus became a man, He existed as a divine being, but was NOT a separate "god." Jesus (the Word) was an "ingredient" of what God is!

This is why the NT writers went out of their way to designate who specifically they were talking about, God the Father Jesus Christ, or the Holy Spirit.

So to put it in simple terms, yes, it could be said that YHWH is a "family name." God the Father is YHWH, and Jesus is YHWH. But they are not both the same "person" but they do make one YHWH.

Think of it this way. America is made up of 50 states, but that does not mean there are 50 USAs here. Together they make "one nation."

That said, if someone calls on the name "Jesus," they are in effect calling on YHWH, as that s His name.

So Isaiah's prophecy still stands. :)

Upvote 0

Sabian

Jul 11, 2003
key's
Visit site
✟466.00
(Reasons for not useing the name of YHWH)

I took time to go back over your post I think you may have skiped over This beginning sentince. That's why you kinda misunderstood me and thought I was contradicting myself.

These are not my reasons.

But I would like to ask a question But maybe the answer shoud go on the other thread.
Do you think The Hebrew language was given to Adam, Did the Animials get Hebrew names?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
i don't understand why you guys are debating over what to call God. i'm sure He knows His own name jus like you do your own... now are you jus as diligent in serving him as you in trying to prove what His original name is? is it soooo important for you to prove your point that you must come against your brothers (in Christ) in debate? 2 Tim 2:23 tells us to AVOID foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife.

Now, do you actually argue with your earthly siblings what your father's original name is/was? do you call your father by name? Call God, Father. that surely will make Him glad.

Upvote 0

Higher Truth

Nov 9, 2002
✟1,257.00
Faith
Messianic
quote:

HT:
The only bibles that I have seen YHVH spelled out as "Yahweh" in are sacred name bibles, and there is also a catholic bible [something Jerusalem] and the "Message" so called 'bible". There are many possibilites of how YHVH can be pronounced. Just take a look at all the variations that the sacred name teachers claim is the only name. El is not an author of confusion. It is scriptural.

I will address the "In my Name" confusion in a later post. If you go to the original Hebrew, you will not find Yahshua. It all comes down to scholarship, and not just what we want.

Upvote 0

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
typically scholars have stated that Yehoshua would be the biblical pronounciation of the Messiah's name, Yeshua would be the modern Hebrew, and Y'shua would be the Aramaic.

considering he spoke aramiac as his native tounge, I usually call him Y'shua.

However, I am no stickler what so ever about his name...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
A quick tip about Jehovah:

Jehovah comes from the Hebrew: Yehovah.

Yehovah is the word "Yud Hey Vav Hey" (which is Yahveh... or mistransliterated as Yahweh)with the Hebrew vowel points of Adonai added in to make YHVH more pronounceable. YHVH is all consonants, and the vowel markings have been lost, no one really knows what they are/were.

So... Yehovah is a fake word.

Then it's mistransliterated (*note* not mistranslated) into Jehovah, as there is no "J" in Hebrew.

ahhh... and then we have the "Jehovah's Witnesses" that claim Jehovah is G-d's true name... lol

A fake word that is mistransliterated is his name?

*sigh* some people truly are puffed up with knowledge.

Upvote 0

Sabian

Jul 11, 2003
key's
Visit site
✟466.00
typically scholars have stated that Yehoshua would be the biblical pronounciation of the Messiah's name,

Yeshua would be the modern Hebrew, and Y'shua would be the Aramaic.

I guess my major objection is not the E replacing the a But it is the Missing H
I see nothing wrong with YEHOSHUA
But YESHUA I do not see

Upvote 0