Fallout 3, Oblivion, would a true Christian even play these video games?

Ashlantal

Not Really a Newbie Anymore
Jun 3, 2012
-----
✟8,078.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Man ... I'm in the same situation. When I was younger, video games were literally MY LIFE before I truly got saved. I always said I put God and Jesus first, but based on my actions, I WORSHIPPED video games. I barely ever play them now, but idk about giving them up completely.

It definitely depends on the game number 1, because there are plenty of games that outright do not glorify God. But how about racing gaames, sports games, games that are less inappropriate. I think if you can have a healthy relationship with the Lord, maybe from time to time you can relax and play video games w/ friends or on your down time or whatever. The key is moderation. Video games cannot be an idol in your heart. It doesn't matter what you say, it matters with whats in your heart.

I'm currently struggling with giving up music that blatantly goes against God ... music is my biggest addictions, and it basically replaced video games as I entered my late teens. I have more than 10,000 songs in my iTunes library. I listen to every genre. Hip-Hop, Metal, Hardcore, House, Electronic, Pop, Indie, Acoustic, etc. , you name it. I have been downloading a lot of Christian music as of late, praise God =] ! But as you can guess, most of the music I have does NOT glorify God :/

Please pray for me, because for me music is something I need to stop holding in my heart as an idol. I'm constatly looking forward to new releases, going to concerts, glorifying these artists, spending more time listening to music than being with the Lord ... PLEASE pray for me . God bless <3 :D

Upvote 0

seavessel44

Aug 15, 2010
in the USA - "proud to be an American where at lea
✟1,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I was 11, I played Zombies ate my neighbors and had nightmares the night afterwards.
Zombies ate my neighbors is a kids game, which is violent and satanic.
In the game, you have to save your neighbors from zombies who are rising from the graves and invading the streets.
Once you get to Level 3, you are in a supermarket and there are these babies with big knives, that actually come after you and butcher you to death in the game.
When I played the game that one time, I could not make it past Level 3, due to the babies.
And this game is only mild compared to the more violent video games, that kids can get ahold of.

Upvote 0

Zach91

Dec 31, 2011
New Bordeaux
✟16,279.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
When I was 11, I played Zombies ate my neighbors and had nightmares the night afterwards.
Zombies ate my neighbors is a kids game, which is violent and satanic.
In the game, you have to save your neighbors from zombies who are rising from the graves and invading the streets.
Once you get to Level 3, you are in a supermarket and there are these babies with big knives, that actually come after you and butcher you to death in the game.
When I played the game that one time, I could not make it past Level 3, due to the babies.
And this game is only mild compared to the more violent video games, that kids can get ahold of.

I used to love playing that game on Super Nintendo. Those were actually supposed to be like Chuckie Dolls not babies, lol. The game is kind of a spoof of corny horror movies.

Upvote 0

Anihilus

Jul 10, 2009
✟8,217.00
Faith
Baptist
Man ... I'm in the same situation. When I was younger, video games were literally MY LIFE before I truly got saved. I always said I put God and Jesus first, but based on my actions, I WORSHIPPED video games. I barely ever play them now, but idk about giving them up completely.

It definitely depends on the game number 1, because there are plenty of games that outright do not glorify God. But how about racing gaames, sports games, games that are less inappropriate. I think if you can have a healthy relationship with the Lord, maybe from time to time you can relax and play video games w/ friends or on your down time or whatever. The key is moderation. Video games cannot be an idol in your heart. It doesn't matter what you say, it matters with whats in your heart.

I'm currently struggling with giving up music that blatantly goes against God ... music is my biggest addictions, and it basically replaced video games as I entered my late teens. I have more than 10,000 songs in my iTunes library. I listen to every genre. Hip-Hop, Metal, Hardcore, House, Electronic, Pop, Indie, Acoustic, etc. , you name it. I have been downloading a lot of Christian music as of late, praise God =] ! But as you can guess, most of the music I have does NOT glorify God :/

Please pray for me, because for me music is something I need to stop holding in my heart as an idol. I'm constatly looking forward to new releases, going to concerts, glorifying these artists, spending more time listening to music than being with the Lord ... PLEASE pray for me . God bless <3 :D

I couldn't help but think about the things this man said in his own testimony when I read your post.

You&#39;re Either All In for Christ or You&#39;re Not In - Tim Conway - YouTube

Upvote 0

TRUEPeace

Jun 6, 2012
✟7,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I play violent video games, I'm enjoying bf3 at the moment and a lesser violent strategy game called Heroes of Newerth.
I listen to music ranging from happy hardcore to underground hip hop.
Has the made me lose faith? Nope. Has this stopped me from praying and reading the Bible? Nope. Has this made me think bad thoughts or changed my mindset regarding anything not only God? Nope.

The key is moderation, I do not have a job at the moment, I live at home, my day consists of cleaning up the house when my parents are out, exercise for an hour or so, sit on this forum ( very enjoyable :p) play computer games, pick up my girlfriend from work, go out, come home and pray before i sleep, if not tired ill read the Bible.
Actually to be honest I really only listen to music when I'm exercising..

To answer your question, I do not think it matters, it is no sin that I know of but if it takes a hold of you, like anything, you should back off.
For the record you do not have to be praying to remember God I know sometimes when I go for a run and my nets capped or i cant be bothered with my phone so I literally "run with the lord" instead, you can still talk to God whilst going about your daily business.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
R

RebornBen

I play all kinds of video games and am a 3D artist in a game development team.

I see it as anything else you could be interested in, some like cooking, drawing, exercising, fishing or whatever. It doesn't mean you don't or can't follow God if you enjoy these things.

God isn't humorless, dry or a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. Our only purpose on this earth isn't just to suffer. God has created a lot of beauty in this world and we see beauty in different things. Just because some people can't enjoy video games doesn't automatically mean they're evil.

My art so far hasn't been Christ oriented but I'm sure He will give me opportunities for that as well. Every profession can glorify God in one way or another and I believe I can do that too through mine.

I know I will be involved in a lot of projects that will not have anything to do with God. At least it might not be visible directly by viewing it from outside. Completely writing off video games as evil is pretty weird in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I used to spent around 16 hours/day playing Farcry, HL2, UT2004 and CS Source on holidays when I was in College. After finishing college, I lost the urge to game !

But now, I'm back to playing games to distract me from thinking about a person I lust for. Whenever I see her or think of her, I turn on my PC and game !

Is it^^ ok ?

No.

You have all authority in Christ. Do not ignore that which you should overcome.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daddibubba

Jan 14, 2023
San Antonio
✟8,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I agree wholeheartedly with Sketcher. I'm actually a pretty big fan of Fallout. I like the post nuclear war idea and the graphics in 3 and New Vegas are pretty cool. I don't play a whole lot of video games though and I am 100% sure in my heart that God knows just as well as I do that it isn't real and it doesn't reflect the type of person I am. But if you're uncomfortable with them and you feel like they challenge your faith or push you to be un-Christian (as it were) then stay away from them. Better to go with your gut... because 9 times out of 10 your gut is the Lord.
However, the emotions connected to the game are quite real, and that is something to be aware of. Older post I know but newly read by me.

Upvote 0