Fake it til you make it!

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A common teaching among Charismatics is the "fake it til you make it" concept.
Whether it be praying in tongues, prophesying, laying on of hands for healing, praise and worship, or any activity deemed as "spiritual" manifestations.
I think Hagin used to say "start in the flesh, arrive in the spirit."
Have you practiced this?
I know I use it often in my private prayer and praise.
I have been praying in tongues and prophesying for as long as I have been saved... some 48 years. I know what my tongues sound like! I just start praying in one of the "common" tongues I have used for years, and after a few minutes it becomes a new, or fresh. collection of soundings.
Same with singing songs in the spirit. All I have to do is get my little chord organ and begin to play the melody of one of the songs I have written down through the years, and within a few minutes I am singing a new song unto the Lord. Bubbling up just like David said:

Psalms 45:
1 My heart is inditing a good matter:
I speak of the things which I have made touching the king:
my tongue is the pen of a ready writer.

The word inditing can be translated "bubbling up with."
I am bubbling just writing about it!!:clap::amen::bow:

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've heard him say that too. I took that to mean.. don't wait till the anointing (spiritual boost) comes on you before you praise God or speak in tongues.
When you start in the flesh it would be dry, without a sense of the Holy Spirit entering into it with you. But in due time (that varies).. He does join you, then you are "lifted up", "carried along", you laugh, you cry in a way that's different then when it's only your own emotions.. and it's not dry anymore. :)

• Agree
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Whether it be praying in tongues, prophesying, laying on of hands for healing, praise and worship, or any activity deemed as "spiritual" manifestations.
Have you practiced this?
I know I use it often in my private prayer and praise.
I have been praying in tongues and prophesying for as long as I have been saved... some 48 years. I know what my tongues sound like! I just start praying in one of the "common" tongues I have used for years, and after a few minutes it becomes a new, or fresh. collection of soundings.
Same with singing songs in the spirit. All I have to do is get my little chord organ and begin to play the melody of one of the songs I have written down through the years, and within a few minutes I am singing a new song unto the Lord. Bubbling up just like David said:

Psalms 45:
1 My heart is inditing a good matter:
I speak of the things which I have made touching the king:
my tongue is the pen of a ready writer.

The word inditing can be translated "bubbling up with."
I am bubbling just writing about it!!:clap::amen::bow:
Interesting. We can get flat spiritually and find it hard to rejoice, for example. We can use the mind to speak out the truth, praising God by thanking Him. After a time, it's as if your spirit wakes up and starts to join in. That's one reason we start our teaching sessions with a few songs of praise. It has nothing to do with "atmosphere" or winding up emotions. It is to kick start the spirit, so to speak. Our late pastor use to call it "pump priming". Unless the pump is full of water to start with, it won't work. Once it is full, the pumps just keeps going. I'm baptised in the Holy Spirit but I don't speak in tongues any more. Sometimes I do need to declare truth and reality until my spirit man gets activated.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"A common teaching among Charismatics is the "fake it til you make it" concept."

Clearly they all need to reread the surmon on the mount and Jesus application of the 10 commandments.

If looking with lusty thoughts equals adualtery.
Then faking it equals blatent lieing and should not be taught by Christians.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let me add a few scriptures that would seem to confirm this idea.

I think my favorite is from Ephesians.
Ephesians 5:
18 and be not drunk with wine, in which is dissoluteness, but be filled in the Spirit,
19 speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord,
20 giving thanks always for all things, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to the God and Father;

The Greek literally reads “be being filled with the Spirit." As most of us know, the original Greek does not have verses or numbers, so this verse is actually joined to the previous and next verse.

A person knowledgeable in the Greek said:

"All of these participles can be read to mean "by speaking", "by singing", "by giving thanks", "by submitting", etc. "

So the meaning put forth is how to achieve the goal of being filled with the spirit.
People get drunk BY drinking wine.
People get filled with the spirit BY speaking....

Don't be being drunk by drinking wine, instead be being filled with the spirit:
  • by speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,
  • by singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord
  • by giving thanks always for all things, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to the God and Father

Paul is encouraging these Christians to maintain a continual experience of being filled with the Spirit by speaking forth. Logically, you would not tell people already drunk to get drunk by drinking. Nor would you have to tell people already filled with the spirit to get that way by speaking...
You get drunk by drinking.
You get filled by speaking.
I think most Charismatic and Pentecostal services follow this pattern, even if they are not aware they are doing it. People will come in pretty cold and down. The praise and worship session will begin and you will notice life and fluency begin to rise. Soon the place is jumping.

The first post is saying that you can and should do this in your private or home prayer and worship life.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been praying in tongues and prophesying for as long as I have been saved... some 48 years.

Same with singing songs in the spirit.
Can you say a little more for my sake. When you say prophecy what do you mean? How would you describe singing in the Spirit? (Just here to listen/learn not critize) Thanks in advance.

∆open question for any.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you say a little more for my sake. When you say prophecy what do you mean? How would you describe singing in the Spirit? (Just here to listen/learn not critize) Thanks in advance.

∆open question for any.
The word "prophesy" simply means to "speak forth" with the implied additional meaning "from a source."
For instance in the book of Acts the believers would prophecy, or speak forth, as the Holy Spirit gave them utterance. In the Bible, most commonly prophets would prophesy, or speak forth, with utterance from the Holy Spirit. But the scripture also mentions other sources that we may "speak forth" from. Not all of them are desirable or good!

Here are some sources from which men may speak forth:
  • Holy Spirit (this is the gift of prophecy which not all believers possess).
  • Our own reborn spirit.
  • Our soul, in this case from your renewed mind.
  • In the case of unregenerate men, they may speak forth from their unregenerate spirit.
  • In the case of unregenerate men, they may speak forth from their unrenewed minds.
  • In the case of unregenerate men, they may speak forth from a demonic spirit.
Again, not all of these are desirable or good. If an unregenrate man speaks forth from his own unregenerate heart... yuck. Same with speaking forth from a demonic spirit. Ouch.
I have used prophesying from out of my reborn spirit very often in my own prayer life. I think of Psalms 45.

Psalms 45:
1 My heart is bubbling up with a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer

i have written hundreds of little songs with this method. I will be studying or meditating on a subject in the Word, and by and by some words will just well up within me, and often a melody will accompany it, or I will just put it into a poem. You can also share these prophetic words with others in a congregational setting. Paul gives instructions for this in 1 Corin 14.

I will touch upon this more later. This post is long.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sanoy
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. We can get flat spiritually and find it hard to rejoice, for example. We can use the mind to speak out the truth, praising God by thanking Him. After a time, it's as if your spirit wakes up and starts to join in. That's one reason we start our teaching sessions with a few songs of praise. It has nothing to do with "atmosphere" or winding up emotions. It is to kick start the spirit, so to speak. Our late pastor use to call it "pump priming". Unless the pump is full of water to start with, it won't work. Once it is full, the pumps just keeps going. I'm baptized in the Holy Spirit but I don't speak in tongues any more. Sometimes I do need to declare truth and reality until my spirit man gets activated.
In one of my mini books "Overcoming Psychological Barriers to Prophesying" I speak to this. The same principles apply to praying in tongues. We can all pray in tongues and prophecy. We can all lay hands on the sick and expect them to be healed. And I agree... those little scripture and praise choruses are prime examples of this fact.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
The word "prophesy" simply means to "speak forth" with the implied additional meaning "from a source."
For instance in the book of Acts the believers would prophecy, or speak forth, as the Holy Spirit gave them utterance. In the Bible, most commonly prophets would prophesy, or speak forth, with utterance from the Holy Spirit. But the scripture also mentions other sources that we may "speak forth" from. Not all of them are desirable or good!

Here are some sources from which men may speak forth:
  • Holy Spirit (this is the gift of prophecy which not all believers possess).
  • Our own reborn spirit.
  • Our soul, in this case from your renewed mind.
  • In the case of unregenerate men, they may speak forth from their unregenerate spirit.
  • In the case of unregenerate men, they may speak forth from their unrenewed minds.
  • In the case of unregenerate men, they may speak forth from a demonic spirit.
Again, not all of these are desirable or good. If an unregenrate man speaks forth from his own unregenerate heart... yuck. Same with speaking forth from a demonic spirit. Ouch.
I have used prophesying from out of my reborn spirit very often in my own prayer life. I think of Psalms 45.

Psalms 45:
1 My heart is bubbling up with a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer

i have written hundreds of little songs with this method. I will be studying or meditating on a subject in the Word, and by and by some words will just well up within me, and often a melody will accompany it, or I will just put it into a poem. You can also share these prophetic words with others in a congregational setting. Paul gives instructions for this in 1 Corin 14.

I will touch upon this more later. This post is long.

Well, with your memory of the language you have uttered over the years, I do not think it is starting fake.
The words mean the same thing.
I cannot interpet tongues fluently, but I have had some phrases come to my Spirit that I know what they are.
I have told someone who was praying for their sick child to say this...
A mighty move of healing occured.
I told her to lay her hand on her Son and pray for him to be healed and speak the phrase to God be the glory in the Holy Language.
She had never spoken in Tongues.
Before I was filled with the Holy Spirit I had spoken a few words in Tongues.
Somthing happened the first time I heard Kenneth E Hagin speak in Tongues, I started to myself!
I had listened to others, but it was as if His dialect was natural.
Not long after, I was Baptized by the Holy Spirit.
You mention somthing that is dear to my heart, singing in the Spirit.
I truly love the joy that erupts from my being during this time.
Nice post!

• Friendly
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A common teaching among Charismatics is the "fake it til you make it" concept....

Laugh and Cry your Way to Freedom
Copyright © 2000 by John R. Chappell, III

“Priming the Pump” for the Waters of Holy Laughter to Flow Can you laugh when you don’t feel like laughing? Can you force laughter to come, and will it be in the Spirit? Absolutely! How do you do this? How can you begin laughing in the Spirit? The answer is “by priming the pump.”

There is a “priming of the pump” that applies in many spiritual areas. Most
of us have probably done this even if we didn’t know about this spiritual
principle. We have all learned to praise the Lord when we didn’t feel like it or
want to do it. As we compelled ourselves to praise God, the anointing came
upon us, the presence of God increased, and we began to feel better and better. We were priming the pump.
We can do the same thing by jumping or leaping in the Spirit. The Bible says:

When we are persecuted, disappointed, hurt or rejected, we must often force
ourselves to praise the Lord. We trust Him to know what is best for us, and
we make a decision to praise Him, even when our flesh is fighting it. That is
what we mean by “priming the pump.” It works because God always anoints
what he commands us to do.
Begin to force yourself to laugh at the pains of life — a laughter of faith.
This will release you from anger, hurts, fears and self-pity and bring you into
a place of joy and faith.

2. Then, by faith “prime the pump” with “Hee, hee! Ha, ha! Ho, ho!”
about specific hurts in your life. If laughter still hasn’t come then try,
Laugh and Cry Your Way to Freedom
Easy Steps to Life-Transforming Inner Healing (and Deliverance)
“Ho, ho! Ha, ha! Hee, hee!” This sounds totally foolish, but as indi

http://www.laughcry.org/Book/Laugh and Cry ebook.pdf

Upvote 0

hhodgson

Semper-fi
Site Supporter
Sep 20, 2011
Delphos, Ohio
✟613,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Have you practiced this?

I think 'faking it' is not the best term here. It's more 'Act as if' is the right one. Its a mindset thing based on 'what you think about you bring about'. In other words, if you have belief thoughts of faking... you may only manifest more faking. If however, you have thoughts of 'act as if' then you are having belief thoughts that you have already succeeded and so it will eventually manifest.

As Christians, Why fake it at all? We KNOW it by faith. If you have a clear picture in your renewed mind of your success in God's Word, and are grateful for it as if it were already true; that's faith... then God and His Word will do everything and anything to make sure that it is realized by manifestation. This is clearly (working faith) in the power of OUR words of faith in God's spoken Word for those who speak it and those who hear it.

My response may be more than somewhat confusing but instead of 'faking it' till you make it... how about 'faith it' till you make it... and 'speak it' till we believe it? There is a difference. Just adding my thoughts...

Harry

304311_ff8ab49451ea8ac19264d2598c86b7b8.gif

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Let God alone answer through us
Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Laugh and Cry your Way to Freedom
Copyright © 2000 by John R. Chappell, III

“Priming the Pump” for the Waters of Holy Laughter to Flow Can you laugh when you don’t feel like laughing? Can you force laughter to come, and will it be in the Spirit? Absolutely! How do you do this? How can you begin laughing in the Spirit? The answer is “by priming the pump.”

There is a “priming of the pump” that applies in many spiritual areas. Most
of us have probably done this even if we didn’t know about this spiritual
principle. We have all learned to praise the Lord when we didn’t feel like it or
want to do it. As we compelled ourselves to praise God, the anointing came
upon us, the presence of God increased, and we began to feel better and better. We were priming the pump.
We can do the same thing by jumping or leaping in the Spirit. The Bible says:

When we are persecuted, disappointed, hurt or rejected, we must often force
ourselves to praise the Lord. We trust Him to know what is best for us, and
we make a decision to praise Him, even when our flesh is fighting it. That is
what we mean by “priming the pump.” It works because God always anoints
what he commands us to do.
Begin to force yourself to laugh at the pains of life — a laughter of faith.
This will release you from anger, hurts, fears and self-pity and bring you into
a place of joy and faith.

2. Then, by faith “prime the pump” with “Hee, hee! Ha, ha! Ho, ho!”
about specific hurts in your life. If laughter still hasn’t come then try,
Laugh and Cry Your Way to Freedom
Easy Steps to Life-Transforming Inner Healing (and Deliverance)
“Ho, ho! Ha, ha! Hee, hee!” This sounds totally foolish, but as indi

http://www.laughcry.org/Book/Laugh and Cry ebook.pdf
"your way to freedom"? Isn't Christ's death & resurrection alone the way to freedom?

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I've been on the other end of it. People faking it by giving out false prophecies/ false words of knowledge/ false prophecies of physical healing. I've had a false prophecy given to me. I've seen a false prophecy cost someone their life.

Please don't fake anything that involves input into other people's lives. Do to others and you would have them do to you.

God Bless :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"fake it til you make it" never heard of this before by anyone. Maybe you just worded it wrong but the 1st word "fake" should be the red flag.

Fake it.. falling under the power? How many just fall of their own free will. I think most have no clue so its not really faking it lol. We walk in the spirit..we put on the new man so forth so on. We learn to not listen to the flesh but how many times we don't "feel" like worshiping Him or the like? We all do.. so at some point we all start in the flesh and end up in the spirit. Sick.. we lay hands on the sick and they shall be healed. As Peter and John said.. its FAITH IN THAT NAME! I am not the one that has to will keep my word.. HE IS! And has.

So we never fake anything.. its not of God. Its FAITH or its not nothing. If its written HE will do it. He always keeps His word. But to many times we have things in our lifes not confess dealt with. Or we in it because WE want some of the glory. As long as I am willing to get out of the way.. never be seen never get thanked so forth so on.. PRAISE GOD GLORY TO JESUS! He always works.. not a light switch.. Hes always on :)

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Doesn't flesh refer to trusting in the law to be saved & spirit refers to trusting in Christ's death & resurrection to be saved?

Do we have to start in the flesh after we have already been dead to the law in Christ according to Romans 7:4?

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
"fake it til you make it" never heard of this before by anyone. Maybe you just worded it wrong but the 1st word "fake" should be the red flag.

Fake it.. falling under the power? How many just fall of their own free will. I think most have no clue so its not really faking it lol. We walk in the spirit..we put on the new man so forth so on. We learn to not listen to the flesh but how many times we don't "feel" like worshiping Him or the like? We all do.. so at some point we all start in the flesh and end up in the spirit. Sick.. we lay hands on the sick and they shall be healed. As Peter and John said.. its FAITH IN THAT NAME! I am not the one that has to will keep my word.. HE IS! And has.

So we never fake anything.. its not of God. Its FAITH or its not nothing. If its written HE will do it. He always keeps His word. But to many times we have things in our lifes not confess dealt with. Or we in it because WE want some of the glory. As long as I am willing to get out of the way.. never be seen never get thanked so forth so on.. PRAISE GOD GLORY TO JESUS! He always works.. not a light switch.. Hes always on :)

I am not sure of the term, used but when I think of this it means Praise God.
Praise God when the Spirit flows among you.
Praise God during times of trouble.
We often think being joyful, is a time of Praising God.
When your guts hurt from things coming against you, and you feel like your overwhelmed, this is the best time to thank God for all He has done including keeping you alive another day.
We should Praise him always , sing spiritual songs to glorify our Lord Jesus Christ.
I do not fake praise, I praise Him with expection that knowing the act of Faith pleases Him.
What ever has come has come to steal somthing God wants me to recieve.
All the better knowing that opression is a sign of elevation of my Spirit.
Praise the Lord , what Blessing is on the way?
I think of Daniel, how He never stopped prayer until the Messinger Gabriel made His way to bring the answer to Daniel.
It is not a work we do, but a act of Faith when there are enemy's in your life.
We should all just say Praise God for our fellowship here!

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 150: 1. Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. 2. Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness. 3. Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. 4. Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. 5. Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. 6. Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
best time to thank God for all He has done including keeping you alive another day.
Do you mean to say we need to thank God for the choice of His sovereign will to keep us alive another day by His grace given through Christ's death & resurrection?

Upvote 0