✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
swordmaster said:
Yah...the same thinking the Pharisees exhibited toward Jesus and the Apostles.

So, do you have anything worth while to contribute to the discussion, or are you just arguing again?

So you admit that your being as a Pharisee? I wasn't going to say it, but since you have admitted it, you should repent.

Upvote 0

spiritwarrior37

Dec 22, 2006
✟16,096.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
1 Corn. 12: 4Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

5And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
7But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

Here we see that faith is a gift from the Holy Spirit. So it seems beyond a shadow of a doubt, that faith is a gift.

God bless

Upvote 0

heterodoxical

May 8, 2011
dallas tx
✟530.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
...like the Laws of Logic.

If you think Logic is comparable to Faith, I'm bugging out now. It would be like talking physics to dogs.
Gideon, logically would have kept the soldiers and weapons and charged. Instead he charged with 300 armed with horns and crock pots.

Upvote 0

sam5432

Jun 12, 2010
✟7,669.00
Faith
Christian
Yes! Faith is a gift! It was given to man when God created him in his image. God made man upright! We can laugh, cry, choose, and believe. Rm. 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness...Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them...so that they are without excuse. God is not a God of the dead! He commands all the living to believe. But if they reject God, then! they are left without excuse. So it's illogical that God chooses some in class A to elect to absolute salvation before the cross, and before they are born. And others in class A are grace challenged, seek challenged, and created with a corrupt nature, and as soon as they are corrupted again? through Adams sin thats passed down on all other souls, God rains down wrath upon them for sinning? Absurd! The gospel of Jesus Christ says, Heb.11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe... Faith is required, or you will not be justified! This is God's plan of salvation.
Because God commands all to believe would mean that all can believe. That would mean that their faith was present from the beginning. Would God command all to believe and not give them faith or is it in light of such a command that man was born with the gift, either way it seems that (either by birth or after birth) man has “capacity” or “giftedness” of faith whereby man can cast himself on the mercy of God. In the end if God commands all to believe then all can believe, even if all do not believe.

Upvote 0

heterodoxical

May 8, 2011
dallas tx
✟530.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1 Corn. 12: 4Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

5And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
7But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

Here we see that faith is a gift from the Holy Spirit. So it seems beyond a shadow of a doubt, that faith is a gift.

God bless

Beyond a shadow....my mule....

:o read it your way, no one had faith until the spirit indwelled in them. And yet most references show you get indwelled BY faith. So your conclusion is leaving us morw fubared than where you started.

Every man can pray, some had the gift of prayer above and beyond.

Everyman has wisdom, but some had been exceptionally gifted above and beyond.

Everyman has the capacity for faith, the spirit makes it grow.

Upvote 0

heterodoxical

May 8, 2011
dallas tx
✟530.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Any reference in Scripture of someone having faith, but not believing?

having faith in what?

Xians don't own the rights to that word. Which is really really good since most Xians abuse the word out of ignorance anyway.

If you mean faith in God, then it's an oxymoronic concept you ask. A question so pedantic I can only think you ask it to ridicule (in a playful way) someone who suggested otherwise.

Remember Abe was declared faithful because he ACTED on a promise, not just proclaimed or believed.

How can you act on a promise you don't know of from an entity that doesn't exist in your mind?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
heterodoxical said:
having faith in what?

Xians don't own the rights to that word. Which is really really good since most Xians abuse the word out of ignorance anyway.

If you mean faith in God, then it's an oxymoronic concept you ask. A question so pedantic I can only think you ask it to ridicule (in a playful way) someone who suggested otherwise.

Remember Abe was declared faithful because he ACTED on a promise, not just proclaimed or believed.

How can you act on a promise you don't know of from an entity that doesn't exist in your mind?

I see so many times that people claim we are given faith and with that faith we can choose whether or not to believe. That's the premise behind the question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heterodoxical

May 8, 2011
dallas tx
✟530.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I see so many times that people claim we are given faith and with that faith we can choose whether or not to believe. That's the premise behind the question.

You hve a choice to choose to accept the teaching or not.

That only puts you on the path.

To have faith, he has to temper that choice with events, and then fulfill them.

Then faith is established and grows.

The verses say HE does the changing.
To say we choose, would contradict HIM doing the changing.

If a calvinist says HE CHOOSES he's an oxymoronic nightmare.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
heterodoxical said:
You hve a choice to choose to accept the teaching or not.

That only puts you on the path.

To have faith, he has to temper that choice with events, and then fulfill them.

Then faith is established and grows.

The verses say HE does the changing.
To say we choose, would contradict HIM doing the changing.

If a calvinist says HE CHOOSES he's an oxymoronic nightmare.

Why would I choose to accept something I don't believe? And what would make me go from not believing to believing?

Upvote 0

heterodoxical

May 8, 2011
dallas tx
✟530.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why would I choose to accept something I don't believe? And what would make me go from not believing to believing?

first question, I dunno why would you? I said belief is the first step. I believe metal sinks in water. I have faith a boat of metal won't. If I worked on what I believe I wouldn't board the boat. After I test the belief and it's verified it did work, I begin to have faith. I still have issues/concerns, but each time I TRUST, the faith grows. It even works on Pavlov's dogs. :p

Not believing to believing? That's knowledge. I guess you first have to be told/educated. Then that validated.

Seriously, a person witnesses God. That means they know a Loving Xian. That's a rare bird these days. They experience God's love, that is information.

They see creation, that is a biblical example of information, or God's witness.

The word is on their heart, that's another biblical witness of God's witness.

The Holy Spirit works, not in, but on, them.

They receive the info, they start to test the waters, they trust, they get validation, they grow faith.

If abraham had the knowledge of his son Isaac, but never marched up the mountain, james ch 2 says he would NOT be the "father of faith". It was the action that established the faith.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
heterodoxical said:
first question, I dunno why would you? I said belief is the first step. I believe metal sinks in water. I have faith a boat of metal won't. If I worked on what I believe I wouldn't board the boat. After I test the belief and it's verified it did work, I begin to have faith. I still have issues/concerns, but each time I TRUST, the faith grows. It even works on Pavlov's dogs. :p

Not believing to believing? That's knowledge. I guess you first have to be told/educated. Then that validated.

Seriously, a person witnesses God. That means they know a Loving Xian. That's a rare bird these days. They experience God's love, that is information.

They see creation, that is a biblical example of information, or God's witness.

The word is on their heart, that's another biblical witness of God's witness.

The Holy Spirit works, not in, but on, them.

They receive the info, they start to test the waters, they trust, they get validation, they grow faith.

If abraham had the knowledge of his son Isaac, but never marched up the mountain, james ch 2 says he would NOT be the "father of faith". It was the action that established the faith.

So if a person has enough knowledge, then they believe? Do they believe in the Spirit, or in the flesh?

Upvote 0

heterodoxical

May 8, 2011
dallas tx
✟530.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Seriously, are yij doing this on ourpose? Are you so argimentative to the point you keep drilling me with questions until I make some pedantic error you can squabble. Over?

I showed you three examples of witnesses of.God, from the Bible, that require NO knowledge of Him to e,pperience. And I may be mistaken, bit I'm pretty are it was in this thread, where I stated ifs experiencing God, not knowledge of him studied that is the need.

But u r still riding the.strawman, and that that degrading, insulting, and generally.considered in ppoor tasye on your point. At some ooint you will have to shut up long enough t read and undersfand what im saying b4 u engage your mouth. From my phone, sorry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
heterodoxical said:
Seriously, are yij doing this on ourpose? Are you so argimentative to the point you keep drilling me with questions until I make some pedantic error you can squabble. Over?
it's a debate forum. Cross examination is part of debate. And I have specific reasons for my questions. But I understand if you don't want to answer.

I showed you three examples of witnesses of.God, from the Bible, that require NO knowledge of Him to e,pperience. And I may be mistaken, bit I'm pretty are it was in this thread, where I stated ifs experiencing God, not knowledge of him studied that is the need.
But you made it sound like it's something everyone experiences. But not everyone believes.

But u r still riding the.strawman, and that that degrading, insulting, and generally.considered in ppoor tasye on your point. At some ooint you will have to shut up long enough t read and undersfand what im saying b4 u engage your mouth. From my phone, sorry.

So anyway (ignoring the reportable insult), when someone believes, is it in the flesh or the Spirit?

Last edited:
Upvote 0