• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

faith based Rehabs that are not too pushy on faith?

jehoiakim

Servant
Jun 24, 2011
New Jersey
✟17,202.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I might be asking for an oxymoron, I know. My sister in law is in need to a rehab center for substance abuse. she is non-religious, but she believes in fate and might be defined as spiritual. Currently she claims to be an athiest, although this was not the case until recently. I think she is angry at God and feels abandoned. She was never a Christian though.

My wife and I, and her family are very interested in the faith based programs to provide her hope she really needs, the fact that many of them are affordable helps also. That is really a lot considering my father in law is a determinist deist, borderline athiest, my other sister inlaw and her husband are Unitarians, (one of them is just an athiest) and my other sister in law and her husband beleive in God, not Jesus and it pretty much ends there.

My sister in law with the drug problem is not fond of the idea and while the God thing would be helpful to her, We don't want to subject her to any program that is too pushy because she we react very poorly to it and that would do far more damage then good at this point.

Anyone know of faith based rehabs that are not overly pushy with their religion?

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
NA is a Spiritual Program which uses the 12 Steps as a path to recovery-it promotes no particular denomination of religion but it's founders were of the Christian faith and it does promote the belief in a Higher Power and advocates turning one's will over to the care of God as we understood Him.

She can start by understanding GOD to be Good Orderly Direction :)

Upvote 0

jannikitty

wise ole owl
Nov 22, 2011
Pacific NW.
✟28,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Most of the faith-based or church-based programs are just that..based on the basics of faith and belief in healing and recovery. It really depends on the particular group.

I would think some groups are more open to unbelievers than others. Thing to do is to find someone who actually attends one and get the information about that particular group. Otherwise there is always the regular 12 step programs which could be a step in the right direction. All 12 step programs emphasize a "higher power" concept. And God does operate in these groups bringing many to healing and gradual freedom from addiction. Nothing is impossible to God.

peace and blessings..prayers for her.

Upvote 0