Mar 24, 2006
New Zealand
✟52,205.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I"M NOT LOOKING FOR A DEBATE.

I'm not exactly a new Christian but one that has struggled with the same question for many years. I was brought up on facts, and that it is facts we trust, not beliefs, not theories or anything else. It's facts that are right, and if it doesnt have a fact about it, then we havent worked it out yet.

Now as you can imagine this contradicts what Christianity is all about. I know it is about a faith in God, and that we believe that Jesus came down, died on the cross for our sins, and then rose again 3 days later.

But I can't believe because this thing in the back of my mine says there is no facts about it. I have tried to pretend it isn't there and believe anyway, tried looking in the Bible and cant find answers there. I running out of faith, and running out of ideas on how to overcome the fact there are no facts.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, trusting in facts makes a belief, so it's not quite the way you're saying it.

Have you ever looked into apologetics? That is defense of the faith. There are some good authors with good books out there on the topic. Lee Strobel, Josh McDowell, Norm Geisler. Two out of those three used to be atheists before they came to know the Lord, in fact.

"The Case For Christ" by Strobel examines the facts concerning Jesus, especially the Resurrection.

"Evidence That Demands A Verdict" by McDowell is another book on the topic with a good reputation, haven't read that yet. There's also "More Than A Carpenter," which I have started and gets into this stuff a little bit.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Belief must be based on something. Many Non Christians have a belief in the total adequacy of human reason. Christian beliefs are centred around Jesus, who lived, died and rose again.

Unfortunately many (most?) churches don't give much good teaching and information about the basis and relevance of our faith, so questioning young people have little to work with.

Feel free to PM another Kiwi with any specific questions.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

flying_kiwifruit

used to be bellaandpjforever I had a name change</
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2006
New Zealand
✟52,205.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you don't believe in Jesus, then why are you here asking questions about him? :idea:

Where did I say in didn't believe in him, I have been a Christian coming up 3 years, But I have never been a strong christian or been able to fully give myself to God, because of what I wrote in my opening post.

Upvote 0

Bellicus

Account no longer in use
Jul 11, 2008
✟10,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Where did I say in didn't believe in him, I have been a Christian coming up 3 years, But I have never been a strong christian or been able to fully give myself to God, because of what I wrote in my opening post.

You said it here:
But I can't believe because this thing in the back of my mine says there is no facts about it.

And my question was really meant as a answer: That even if you say you can't believe, then it is pretty clear that you do believe, and if you didn't believe you would not be here asking questions. And can anyone say that they can't believe and in the same time say that they do believe? Don't you think this is a contradiction?

I am a man sitting in Norway and writing this to you, you can choose to believe this or not. Maybe I am really a woman from China trying to fool everyone here. You don't really know. So what you believe about me is not really based on facts, but on probabilities and what you imagine to be the truth.

What is a fact? If you look at science the tool scientists use to gather facts is by gathering physical evidence, by using empirical studies about the reality around us, this is the so called scientific method. And to do this they have to assume that the reality around us actually is real - a fact in it self that can't be doubted. But still for hundreds of years ontologists have agreed that our senses - vision, hearing, taste, feeling and smelling - very unlikely is giving us a complete image of the reality as it is in it self.

This is what I see, and what troubles me. I look on all sides, and everywhere I see nothing but obscurity.
Nature offers me nothing that is not a matter of doubt and disquiet

Blaise Pascal

Descartes talked about the Evil Demon , a theory about a evil creature that made him live in a illusion. Buddha also talked about this demon, calling him Mara, a demonic force that keeps everyone trapped in a illusion.

Kant talked about the Noumenon, Ding an sich, the thing-in-it-self, witch can't be grasped trough our senses or thoughts. Schopenhauer talked much about the same thing, saying the world is what we imagine it to be.

Modern quantum physics describes that there is more then 10 dimensions and that on sub-atomic level it is impossible to know the speed or position of particles and it is even impossible to say that particles exist, unless they are observed. The traditional view on time-space is getting cracks in the foundation.

There is a lot of very clever people that doubt that "facts" can be said to be anything else then probabilities based on what we imagine things to be, so in this way it boils down to theory's and hypothesis's after questioning and doubting the way everything is described to be.

I don't know if this have helped you. But I too believe in God. I feel as sure about Gods existence that I feel sure about the existence of the world I am living in. And at least I don't doubt Him because of facts. I have been honestly looking into the facts, and I can't find anything that make it impossible for God to exist. So I can't see any reasons for not giving my self fully to God. And if you too believe in God Almighty, then why not give your self fully to Him?

God bless.

Upvote 0

flying_kiwifruit

Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2006
New Zealand
✟52,205.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
And my question was really meant as a answer: That even if you say you can't believe, then it is pretty clear that you do believe, and if you didn't believe you would not be here asking questions. And can anyone say that they can't believe and in the same time say that they do believe? Don't you think this is a contradiction?

There is a difference between Believing and the other sort of believing. I believe that Jesus lived and that he died on the cross, I believe it is possible for him to rise again after 3 days, but I don't fully believe it happen, I dont fully believe that there is a God out there, these are things thats I have learnt, and things I used to believe without a doubt. But I dont believe those things anymore.

I am a man sitting in Norway and writing this to you, you can choose to believe this or not. Maybe I am really a woman from China trying to fool everyone here. You don't really know. So what you believe about me is not really based on facts, but on probabilities and what you imagine to be the truth.

The facts I know about you, is that you are the user Bellicus, thats all I know for a fact. Yes the rest could all be lies, you could be a lady in China, but I dont speculate. I also give you the benifit of doubt that you are who your profile says you are until proven otherwise. Also with this if I really wanted to, I could fine out if that info is true, but with God we can't, there is never going to be concrete proof of God.

What is a fact? If you look at science the tool scientists use to gather facts is by gathering physical evidence, by using empirical studies about the reality around us, this is the so called scientific method. And to do this they have to assume that the reality around us actually is real - a fact in it self that can't be doubted. But still for hundreds of years ontologists have agreed that our senses - vision, hearing, taste, feeling and smelling - very unlikely is giving us a complete image of the reality as it is in it self.

What point are you trying to make here, yes scintest rely on gathering physical evidence, because thats how things are worked out. Thats how we know what we do today, thats why I can work out that in a vacume if you drop a 10Kg ball 10m it will be going about 100 m/s according to scince, and if we then mesure how fast it went, we would be roughly correct. But I can't do this with god, there is not scientific formula for god, there are no solid facts that god exsists, except for a Book that people claim was writted by the inspired word of god.

Descartes talked about the Evil Demon , a theory about a evil creature that made him live in a illusion. Buddha also talked about this demon, calling him Mara, a demonic force that keeps everyone trapped in a illusion.

Kant talked about the Noumenon, Ding an sich, the thing-in-it-self, witch can't be grasped trough our senses or thoughts. Schopenhauer talked much about the same thing, saying the world is what we imagine it to be.

Modern quantum physics describes that there is more then 10 dimensions and that on sub-atomic level it is impossible to know the speed or position of particles and it is even impossible to say that particles exist, unless they are observed. The traditional view on time-space is getting cracks in the foundation.

There is a lot of very clever people that doubt that "facts" can be said to be anything else then probabilities based on what we imagine things to be, so in this way it boils down to theory's and hypothesis's after questioning and doubting the way everything is described to be.

I'm not that smart, I honestly can't understand what is being said here.

I don't know if this have helped you. But I too believe in God. I feel as sure about Gods existence that I feel sure about the existence of the world I am living in. And at least I don't doubt Him because of facts. I have been honestly looking into the facts, and I can't find anything that make it impossible for God to exist. So I can't see any reasons for not giving my self fully to God. And if you too believe in God Almighty, then why not give your self fully to Him?

God bless.

Mainly replying to the part in bold. I dont know what your upbringing was, but I was brought up in a non-christian home, where my first real introduction to christianity was when I was about 14. So for the first 14 years of my life, I never thought that there was a God, all I saw was facts and figures. Trying to change that mind set is very hard especially because I have a stuborn personality. I'm trying to work out how I can believe in something with out the facts and figures to back it up, because that seems illogical to my brain set.

Why not give myself fully to God? Because when I did, nothing was different, I heard about people who know God was there, yet I never felt that. I never have felt that god was with me. So I no longer fully believe in God because when everything was stripped to bare bones, it was the facts i could rely on, not God I couldnt rely on God.

Upvote 0

Angel4Truth

Legend
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
✟65,490.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, trusting in facts makes a belief, so it's not quite the way you're saying it.

Have you ever looked into apologetics? That is defense of the faith. There are some good authors with good books out there on the topic. Lee Strobel, Josh McDowell, Norm Geisler. Two out of those three used to be atheists before they came to know the Lord, in fact.

"The Case For Christ" by Strobel examines the facts concerning Jesus, especially the Resurrection.

"Evidence That Demands A Verdict" by McDowell is another book on the topic with a good reputation, haven't read that yet. There's also "More Than A Carpenter," which I have started and gets into this stuff a little bit.

Excellent answer and I agree those are excellent books on the topic - the Lee strobel book "The Case for Christ" and his other book "The Case for faith" both adress the issues raised.

Upvote 0

flying_kiwifruit

Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2006
New Zealand
✟52,205.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Excellent answer and I agree those are excellent books on the topic - the Lee strobel book "The Case for Christ" and his other book "The Case for faith" both adress the issues raised.

One prob I have no way of getting hold of those books. If I did I would look at them.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not exactly a new Christian but one that has struggled with the same question for many years. I was brought up on facts, and that it is facts we trust, not beliefs, not theories or anything else. It's facts that are right, and if it doesnt have a fact about it, then we havent worked it out yet.
I encourage you to read the books mentioned (try any Christian bookstore), because Christianity is BASED on facts -- historical facts. Jesus was born, lived, was crucified, and was resurrected in a real place (Palestine). People met him and wrote books about it. John (who wrote the Gospel), for example, was one of Jesus' closest friends. People were tortured and died because they knew these things were true.

Even non-Christian writers mentioned some of the basic facts. The Annals of Tacitus, for example: "... Christians... Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus..." (from http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/txt/ah/Tacitus/TacitusAnnals15.html#Tacitus.Annals.15.44 )

Hope this helps. God bless you,

-- Radagast

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Now as you can imagine this contradicts what Christianity is all about. I know it is about a faith in God, and that we believe that Jesus came down, died on the cross for our sins, and then rose again 3 days later.

But I can't believe because this thing in the back of my mine says there is no facts about it. I have tried to pretend it isn't there and believe anyway, tried looking in the Bible and cant find answers there. I running out of faith, and running out of ideas on how to overcome the fact there are no facts.
Actually, it doesn't contradict what Christianity is all about. But it does contradict the idea of "reproducible results", the scientific view of verifiability.

That's because everything in history contradicts this.

Who discovered New Zealand? What proof can you give me? I'm halfway around the world from where New Zealand is purported to be, and I won't accede to who discovered New Zealand without scientific proof. Well, there is none. You can mix science with historical evidence to demonstrate N.Z.'s discoverer. But that wouldn't be scientific in and of itself.

Jesus' resurrection is built on historical evidence of the same sort.

Roman policy confirmed the death of people on the Cross in a manner which would be admired by medical people today: and simple recovery from the initial wounds would've been problematic even if it didn't include blood loss, exposure, stress, pain, shock. Roman soldiers would've been severely disciplined for not following Roman policy in the matter of a crucifixion.

There's no response from the Roman or the Judean government to produce the Body of Christ after they killed Him, and after they guarded His tomb.

There's an amazingly quick, public response among Jesus' followers that Jesus was alive within 60 days of the time that He was crucified.

That quick response is also a solid response, bearing up under numerous arrests, persecutions, and finally the deaths of most leaders of the Christian movement.

The persecution of Christians in the First Century is attested-to by a handful of contemporaneous documents, which is reflective of the small size of the movement as it started out.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Sojourner1

Following my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2004
California
✟498,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Bellicus

Account no longer in use
Jul 11, 2008
✟10,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There is a difference between Believing and the other sort of believing. I believe that Jesus lived and that he died on the cross, I believe it is possible for him to rise again after 3 days, but I don't fully believe it happen, I dont fully believe that there is a God out there, these are things thats I have learnt, and things I used to believe without a doubt. But I dont believe those things anymore.

What made you stop believe? Anything specific?

What point are you trying to make here.
My point is: If our senses give us a incomplete image of reality (or even a completely wrong image), then how can anything be a fact, when it is based on this image of reality? It would not be a fact at all, but just a description of our imagination of reality. To accept a empiric fact, you also have to accept things that are not a fact, but are really just things we take for granted without having any proof for it.

I'm not that smart, I honestly can't understand what is being said here.
If you doubt God, then why can't you doubt anything else? I think some of your problem is that you think some things are proven facts that can't be doubted, but if you look into the links I gave you, you will find that many of our greatest philosophers did doubt these facts, and were not as satisfied as scientists is. Like Pascal said: Nature offers me nothing that is not a matter of doubt and disquiet.

I'll try to explain Noumenon: If you look at a stone, then you think the stone is something in a certain distance away from you, the stone is made of certain minerals, it got certain colors and a certain shape and to know this stone exist you use your eyes to see it. You can use other senses on this stone too, like smelling it, tasting it, feeling on it with your hands, listen to the sound from it when you drop it down. This information is something in your counciesness. In fact: All about this stone is something in your counciesness. And by this you don't really know the stone, but only your counciesness. Your mind and the stone is something different. What you imagine the stone to be is really a phenomena that is happening in your mind. And this is not just something that happens with stones. This is something that happens in all parts of your life. Everything that has to do with your senses, thoughs and emotions are really just phenomenas happening in your mind. Your mind is the base where you navigate your way trough these phenomenas. So if anything can be called a fact, first we need to know what the mind is, and if the phenomenas happening in the mind can be called facts.

Aristotle said:
But if life itself is good and pleasant (...) and if one who sees is conscious that he sees, one who hears that he hears, one who walks that he walks and similarly for all the other human activities there is a faculty that is conscious of their exercise, so that whenever we perceive, we are conscious that we perceive, and whenever we think, we are conscious that we think, and to be conscious that we are perceiving or thinking is to be conscious that we exist...

This is the same conclusion as Descartes: I think, therefore I am.

This is really the only fact: That we think. That things are going on in our mind. That we experience phenomenas of the conciousness. But all the things that are going on in our mind can be made into doubt.

So to think that some things are facts, you will have to take for granted that your mind is a source of truth.

Mainly replying to the part in bold. I dont know what your upbringing was, but I was brought up in a non-christian home, where my first real introduction to christianity was when I was about 14. So for the first 14 years of my life, I never thought that there was a God, all I saw was facts and figures. Trying to change that mind set is very hard especially because I have a stuborn personality. I'm trying to work out how I can believe in something with out the facts and figures to back it up, because that seems illogical to my brain set.
I were like you, brought up in a non-christian home. Here in Norway we are one of the last non-secular countrys in Europe, so I had 9 years of Christianity education in school, and I were always the loudest one to talk against the teacher and how redicolous everything he said was. This is because I had been learned about materialism.

Materialism is:
The philosophy of materialism holds that the only thing that can be truly proven to exist is matter, and is considered a form of physicalism. Fundamentally, all things are composed of material and all phenomena (including consciousness) are the result of material interactions; therefore, matter is the only substance

But as John Locke said: We "know not what" the basic substance [matter] is. In my other post here I mentioned quantum physics, and I don't really understand this field of science myself, so I'll let someone else that does understand (some of it) explain it in a easy way:

Why Atoms Don’t Exist
In the 1980s, some enterprising young men performed a sequence of experiments to show the weirdness of quantum theoretical phenomena. They used a very nifty laser that emitted identical photons one after another in single file. First, photons were proven to be particles. Then, they were proven to be waves. Finally, a photon was proven to be a particle and a wave at the same time. This is the sort of thing that might have elicited a shouting match across the dinner table between Niels Bohr and Wolfgang Pauli. In fact, Niels Bohr might have become quite upset and disturbed the meal.
The problem is that a particle has a particular location in space-time, whereas a wave is spread out over space-time; obviously, a particle cannot be a wave, and a wave cannot be a particle - they are mutually contradictory things. A wave-particle is an oxymoron. It's rather like a chair-table or a red can of blue paint. This problem exists for all quantum theoretical things. Atoms are quantum theoretical things.
Historically, atoms have been called particles. However, if an experiment is done to show their wave properties, then they don't look like particles at all.
The problem can be solved sort-of by saying an atom is like a particle and like a wave. This leads to a different problem.
What are these things we call atoms? They can't be particles, because they're waves. They can't be waves, because they're particles! What are they? If you don't say what an atom is, you're just saying that an atom is "something". How do you know that something exists? Uh, I dunno, just 'cause, I guess (scratch ma head).
Saying that something exists without saying what that something is is meaningless. Existence of meaningless things is meaningless. Therefore, the only meaningful thing to say is that they don't exist in a meaningful world. No one can meaningfully argue for the existence of a meaningless thing.
Another problem arises. Boy, problems, problems!
What about chemistry? Chemists play with atoms! Can we say that a chemist's toys don't exist? No way! Yes, way!
This is very important: If the model works, then it's a useful model. If the model is wrong, then so what! The idea of an atom is a theoretical construct. The very complicated and abstruse mathematical equations become doable when we use the approximations involved in saying that there are these tiny things called atoms.
Saying that something exists is a bit like naming a child with every name in a phone book. Call any name, and the child will answer. Who is the child?
This reason why atoms don't exist is a bit more esoteric than most.
You see, these things we call photons behave in a strange way. Due to Lorentz-Fitzgerald contraction, a photon's meter stick has zero length, and a photon’s clock never ticks; therefore, an inhabitant of a photon will not measure a distance to travel. Therefore, from the standpoint of a photon inhabitant, there is no distance between the electron it is emitted from and the electron it is absorbed by. Furthermore, a clock on a photon won't tick, because it takes zero time (as measured by photon inhabitants) for a photon to travel from one place to another. In fact, there is reason for inhabitants of a photon to believe that the emitting electron and the absorbing electron are the same electron. Since the paths of photons overlap, all photons would necessarily exist in the same position (according to their point of view). Therefore, the Universe is zero dimensional. This does not allow for enough space for an atom to exist. Pretty esoteric, huh?

So what is this "matter" that materialism teaches us about, and that most scientists take for granted?

And I am not sure if your following me, but: It makes no sense in calling something facts.

By this we are back to the mind and the phenomenas we can observe. And God is one of the things that are going trough our mind. We can choose to accept or reject this, like anything else, with no proof and no facts. Thats what I've ended up with. And I believe God is real, like I believe the world I am living in (maybe) is real.

Why not give myself fully to God? Because when I did, nothing was different, I heard about people who know God was there, yet I never felt that. I never have felt that god was with me. So I no longer fully believe in God because when everything was stripped to bare bones, it was the facts i could rely on, not God I couldnt rely on God.

We come into life naked and with no knowledge, and everything we know comes from what we have learned from somewhere else. So if everything was stripped down to bare bones, then we still are that helpless, newborn baby - just with a lot of things added to us that are not us at all or what we really are. And we are privilidged that we can choose what we want to be added to our mind or not.

Rom 10,17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

So if you want faith, you better fill your mind with the word of God. If you want doubt, then fill your mind with all the other things.

God bless. Hope all this writing has given you something good, and if not, at least I had some fun writing it :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I"M NOT LOOKING FOR A DEBATE.

Christ Jesus is only about facts.

"If Christ be not raised . . ."

"Faith" is better defined as "trust." As in "trust the facts."

A police officer writes you a ticket on the "faith" that the law being violated is actually there. He may have read a book about the penal code, but he really doesn't know if that book wasn't written by the people that run his city just to get money from people that drive cars. Remember, people that work in city jobs get their money, their paychecks, from taxes and tickets. That is to say, things written down "so they say" that gives them the right to believe what they do. Many people violate laws they never kne existed. Or, so they say.

Ah, once you do some research, you find that people really existed that came up with the laws written "and ratified" that the police officer luckily represents correctly.

Go to tektonics.org and click on "Shattering the Christ Myth."

Also, realize that the people writing the New Testament works called the Gospels, Book of Acts and the epistles (letters) and Revelation, ALL really existed.

Anyone is free to deny "the facts" written in the New Testament, but their "opinion" about those facts are just that, their own opinion.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.