Not open for further replies.

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Honestly, I think he got bullied by the local nerd in his school and it's left deep seated resentment against anything science related.

But he still uses the internet...
While my previous post was a fanciful story written by AI, it is based on the very real problem of anti-intellectualism where scientists and academics more than ever need to be vigilant against threats and acts of violence.
One of the oldest, still-fascinating, and most controversial subgenres deals with the psychology of anti-intellectualism. This topic has been explored in various ways, shedding light on the underlying attitudes and behaviors associated with resistance to intellectual pursuits.
In Richard Hofstadter’s classic work “Anti-Intellectualism in American Life”, he delved into the resentment and suspicion directed toward intellectualism. The psychology of anti-intellectualism involves a complex interplay of emotions, cultural factors, and historical context. Here are some key points:
  1. Resentment and Suspicion: Anti-intellectualism often arises from feelings of resentment toward intellectuals, academics, and experts. Some perceive them as elitists who dominate political discourse and higher education1.
  2. Emotional Immaturity: Anti-intellectual societies may exhibit emotional immaturity. Rather than engaging in reasoned debate, they may resort to tribalism, simplistic explanations, and polarized thinking.
  3. Violent Solutions: In extreme cases, anti-intellectualism can lead to violent solutions. When reason is abandoned, critical thinking wanes, and rational public policies become elusive2.
  4. Corporate Influence: Corporate interests sometimes encourage anti-intellectualism, fostering conformity and passive acceptance of institutional dominance.
Understanding the psychology behind anti-intellectualism is crucial for addressing its impact on society.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While my previous post was a fanciful story written by AI, it is based on the very real problem of anti-intellectualism where scientists and academics more than ever need to be vigilant against threats and acts of violence.
Sounds like a lot of the discussions about politics on this forum

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, I think he got bullied by the local nerd in his school and it's left deep seated resentment against anything science related.

But he still uses the internet...

That's not really it. AV, is an "Independent Baptist," and if some of you don't know the difference between that and, say, a Southern Baptist, or an American Baptist, you may be in for a shock.

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
That's not really it. AV, is an "Independent Baptist," and if some of you don't know the difference between that and, say, a Southern Baptist, or an American Baptist, you may be in for a shock.

Interacting with AV has given me more than enough insight into what an Independent Baptist is. And I thank Lord Almighty that they do not exist in the UK or if they do in small enough numbers to be near enough anonymous.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interacting with AV has given me more than enough insight into what an Independent Baptist is. And I thank Lord Almighty that they do not exist in the UK or if they do in small enough numbers to be near enough anonymous.

Yeah, and if I remember correctly, AV offers his own science courses and diplomas. ^_^

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, we get an education from him for free on this site every time he types...

It would be nice if he'd actually engage the fuller sources behind evolutionary arguments rather than treating the interaction like just another day at the skeet shoot. AV: PULL !!! ^_^

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He will not be deterred by these comments he knows what he believes and why and he sticks with it.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He will not be deterred by these comments he knows what he believes and why and he sticks with it.

Well, on some level, I actually kind of respect that. But I think he just needs to stop reading those MAD magazines as a source for inspiration.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, on some level, I actually kind of respect that. But I think he just needs to stop reading those MAD magazines as a source for inspiration.
I respect that about him. He knows the Bible

• Friendly
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I respect that about him. He knows the Bible

Yeah, but a lot of us know the Bible. And we still disagree with him. Of course, in today's day and age, that's not saying much since disagreement among Christians is par for the course.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, but a lot of us know the Bible. And we still disagree with him. Of course, in today's day and age, that's not saying much since disagreement among Christians is par for the course.
I didn’t know about the burn in Hell comments

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn’t know about the burn in Hell comments

Which ones? Has AV been averring for that lately? I don't keep up with all that he says here.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn’t see that. Not cool. Probably against forum rules
The entire thread containing the offensive comments were deleted.
This leads me back to anti-intellectualism where it becomes normalized behavior that people should 'burn in hell' not because of who they are, but what they represent whether they be scientists, academics or atheists as examples.

In fact female scientists are a frequently targeted group on the Internet.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The entire thread containing the offensive comments were deleted.
This leads me back to anti-intellectualism where it becomes normalized behavior that people should 'burn in hell' not because of who they are, but what they represent whether they be scientists, academics or atheists as examples.

In fact female scientists are a frequently targeted group on the Internet.
I don’t know what I believe about Hell anymore, there are different views and Eternal Conscious Torment is a tough pill to swallow but as a Christian we shouldn’t take pleasure in anyone going there and we should be trying to prevent it, not cheering it on.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unfortunately his beliefs also manifest in hatred and bigotry such as suggesting my sister should burn in hell for being an atheist.

That's a lie, and you know it.

Why would I "suggest" an atheist burn in Hell?

That's like suggesting water is wet.

And for the record, you're making it sound like being an atheist is the unpardonable sin.

Atheists can (and do) get saved.

Remember the old saying?

"There are no atheists in foxholes."

Yes -- your sister will burn in Hell if she dies as an atheist.

But not because she was an atheist at one time and changed her mind.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.