Fact Sheets on Unlawful Militias for All 50 States Now Available from Georgetown Law’s Institute for

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Fact Sheets on Unlawful Militias for All 50 States Now Available from Georgetown Law’s Institute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection

WASHINGTON, September 22, 2020 — In anticipation of possible unlawful militias intimidating voters at the polls, Georgetown Law’s Institute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection (ICAP) has released fact sheets on unlawful militias for all 50 states. The fact sheets provide key information about lawful and unlawful militias, state laws prohibiting private militias and paramilitary activity, and what to do if citizens see groups of armed individuals near polling places.

“Local officials, law enforcement, and voters need to know that groups of armed individuals have no legal authority under federal or state law to show up at voting locations claiming to protect or patrol the polls,” said Mary McCord, Legal Director of ICAP and a former Acting Assistant Attorney General for National Security at the Department of Justice.

Spread this far and wide, if you care about the future of democracy in the US.

In short, there is no legal justification in any part of the US for some self-appointed election monitor / militia to show up armed to "keep an eye" on how polling is being conducted. Call the police, cite the relevant laws for your state, and have them removed. If the police do not apply the law, go up the chain.

Wishing you all the best for a few weeks' time.

• Informative
Reactions: Hans Blaster

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Thanks, this gives legal teeth to my fears.

Not that there were armed individuals around my voting drop off box, but I was thinking it could happen and what I would do.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Genuinely, good luck - y'all are gonna need it, sadly

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Forewarned is forearmed.

Genuinely, good luck - y'all are gonna need it, sadly
Oh, I have already dropped them off, and there was no one there. And it would require a safebreaker and a tow truck to get in that box without all the keys.

But it could happen on election day.

Upvote 0

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Oh, I have already dropped them off, and there was no one there. And it would require a safebreaker and a tow truck to get in that box without all the keys.

But it could happen on election day.

Good to hear! Either way, I hope everything goes smoothly and without incident.

Upvote 0