United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow! What provider was that?

The Federal Trade Commission has broad authority to police unfair, deceptive, and anticompetitive practices online. They can reported, fined, etc.

And unlike the FCC, the Federal Trade Commission can order consumer redress (such as refunds) for violations of federal law.

I don't want to reveal my location too much...but I can provide the name and show that apparently I'm not the only one who takes issue with them lol

upload_2017-12-17_10-59-36.png

(a 'stellar' 1.7 rating on google as you can see lol)

upload_2017-12-17_11-0-19.png

upload_2017-12-17_11-4-15.png

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I remember the internet was in a freakout a few years ago when they passed net neutrality saying how it was the end of the internet as we know it. Now that it has been repealed, people are saying it's the end of the internet as we know it again.

Personally, I think net neutrality is a bunch of nonsense. It's not the government's job to tell private businesses how they must provide their services.

Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
I remember the internet was in a freakout a few years ago when they passed net neutrality saying how it was the end of the internet as we know it.
You must in different part of the web then from what I am in. From the rest of your post you clearly don't know what net neutrality is.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟905,276.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I remember the internet was in a freakout a few years ago when they passed net neutrality saying how it was the end of the internet as we know it. Now that it has been repealed, people are saying it's the end of the internet as we know it again.

Personally, I think net neutrality is a bunch of nonsense. It's not the government's job to tell private businesses how they must provide their services.

Last I checked regulation of businesses was exactly the governments job. You have to pass a test and get a license to cut hair. You have to meet certain standards to run a medical practice. Cable companies are regulated on what they can or can not do.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Last I checked regulation of businesses was exactly the governments job. You have to pass a test and get a license to cut hair. You have to meet certain standards to run a medical practice. Cable companies are regulated on what they can or can not do.
I don't find any of that in the Constitution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What's your point when you said "I don't find any of that in the Constitution."?
You implying that it must be explicitly stated, before we allow to have it.
The feds regulating everything to death is against the Constitution. Especially when it's done outside of the congress by unelected bureaucrats like the FCC.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟905,276.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The feds regulating everything to death is against the Constitution. Especially when it's done outside of the congress by unelected bureaucrats like the FCC.

OK. Show me where the constitution limits business regulation.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
OK. Show me where the constitution limits business regulation.
It's a list of what the Fed can do, and specifically says everything else is reserved to the states.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I don't necessarily defend it, but when Net neutrality was applied in 2015, I didn't notice the internet being any better... If anything, probably inappropriate content will be slower to download after this, or will become less available, which isn't really a bad thing IMO.

I assume it's all about inappropriate content.

The lawsuits were real, but read the actual content of the lawsuits. Companies were arguing the FCC had no authority. And they prevailed.

The Internet didn't change, when the current Net Neutrality regulations were implemented in 2015 because it didn't change anything. As the second quote I list talks about, there have been Net Neutrality regulations previously (dating back to 2002); the ISPs didn't like Net Neutrality and sued, claiming that the FCC didn't have the right to create the Net Neutrality regulations. All that happened in 2015 is that a new set of Net Neutrality regulations were introduced that were functionally the same as what had existed since 2002; just that the new regulations were written to "fix" the issues in the old regulations, that caused a court to rule against them.

You didn't notice a change because nothing really changed. Now is the time you will likely see change (once the regulations officially are removed; I believe there is a waiting period after the vote), as this is really the first time since 2002 that there have been no Net Neutrality rules in place.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Constitution specifically gives the Federal government the right to regulate Interstate Commerce.

Yes. Yet, it is the Federal Trade Commission has broad authority to police unfair, deceptive, and anti-competitive practices online. They can reported, fined, etc.

It isn't the FCC - the department we are discussing that handles that. They do NOT have the authority, and never regulated the aspects of this thread. This is part that has been confusing me all along!

They aren't the department you go to for throttling, blocking of sites, etc. You would go to the FCC, and you don't need NN for them to jump on that. It's called unfair, deceptive, etc. They have taken complaints prior to NN, during it, and will continue to now.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Yes. Yet, it is the Federal Trade Commission has broad authority to police unfair, deceptive, and anti-competitive practices online. They can reported, fined, etc.

It isn't the FCC - the department we are discussing that handles that. They do NOT have the authority, and never regulated the aspects of this thread. This is part that has been confusing me all along!

They aren't the department you go to for throttling, blocking of sites, etc. You would go to the FCC, and you don't need NN for them to jump on that. It's called unfair, deceptive, etc. They have taken complaints prior to NN, during it, and will continue to now.

You seem to be confusing two ideas here. The FTC will do nothing to a company that blocks sites, unless they are using deceptive practices -- there is no legal requirement for your ISP to allow you to connect with Netflix, or Google, or any other company. There would need to be some form of discrimination (we won't allow a protected class to view this site) or deception involved.

Currently, the FCC has the right to regulate public utilities. Yes, you are correct, originally Net Neutrality laws were ruled as invalid. The new rules got around this by classifying ISPs as public utilities -- which then allowed them to legally prevent ISPs from blocking or slowing down access from some websites.

Upvote 0