United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
F.C.C. Repeals Net Neutrality Rules

It's a shame... people were so eager to and excited to get rid of things with Obama's name on them, that they made this shortsighted decision.

Regardless of your politics, Net Neutrality was a good thing for all of us. It's a shame people didn't stop to think for a moment before acting.

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
F.C.C. Repeals Net Neutrality Rules

It's a shame... people were so eager to and excited to get rid of things with Obama's name on them, that they made this shortsighted decision.

Regardless of your politics, Net Neutrality was a good thing for all of us. It's a shame people didn't stop to think for a moment before acting.

And I quote the article, according to a Mr. Ajit Pai: "rollback of the rules would eventually help consumers because broadband providers like AT&T and Comcast could offer people a wider variety of service options. Mr. Pai was joined in the 3-to-2 vote by his two fellow Republican commissioners."

Does anyone else smell the BS from any given location across the planet? Eventually help the consumer? ... Really?

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
And I quote the article, according to a Mr. Ajit Pai: "rollback of the rules would eventually help consumers because broadband providers like AT&T and Comcast could offer people a wider variety of service options. Mr. Pai was joined in the 3-to-2 vote by his two fellow Republican commissioners."

Does anyone else smell the BS from any given location across the planet? Eventually help the consumer? ... Really?

Trump voters supported this. I hope they're happy with the result.

I take that back. I hope they have trouble accessing their favorite web services as penance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

it stinks to high heaven.

"“Broadband providers will have more incentive to build networks..”
- Ajit Pai

There's no incentive to build when they will be able to prioritize (read; filter and/or throttle) the network as they deem fit.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Maybe I could start working really hard and buy some ISPs in Red states and block Infowars and FoxNews.
There you go, finally something to get you lazy liberals off your couch.[/sarcasm]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a VERY good thing. Rather than give my opinion, I offer the opinions of those more heavily involved in the case. They are more valuable. I prefer free markets unless monopolies (like ma-bell) need to be broken up. I live in the sticks and have no cable or DSL, yet I have several options including multiple cell phone plans and at least two satellite plans to choose from. I suspect those of you in cities have many more options to choose from. Competition is what creates choices and low prices. Net neutrality (regulation) stunts growth.
There's this:
The case against Net Neutrality: An IT pro's perspective

And this: The Net Neutrality Noise Machine Turns Violent

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
This is a VERY good thing. Rather than give my opinion, I offer the opinions of those more heavily involved in the case. They are more valuable. I prefer free markets unless monopolies (like ma-bell) need to be broken up. I live in the sticks and have no cable or DSL, yet I have several options including multiple cell phone plans and at least two satellite plans to choose from. I suspect those of you in cities have many more options to choose from. Competition is what creates choices and low prices. Net neutrality (regulation) stunts growth.
There's this:

I have multiple choices if I'm willing to give up some things I do on the Internet. I'm a gamer which means I have to have a solid Internet connection. In my case, it's Cox Cable. I cannot go with anything else that provides the level of service I need. Cox has been granted basically a monopoly in my area and other options can't get in. So, it's either Cox or nothing.

Break up that system and I'd be willing to see net neutrality go because Cox would have to compete with other providers and they'd have incentive to not charge more for streaming Netflix or whatever.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Mr. Pai is yet another Trump appointee who helped enlarge and deepen the swamp.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There's this:

You've been fooled.
(see my quote to you yesterday, in an unrelated topic, for backstory).

There is no incentive to build when the ISPs own the content they allow you to see AND can filter/throttle (called prioritizing) the traffic to your paid subscription level.

What would've been better for you would be to expand the the footprint(s) in municiple broadband (see Chattanooga TN). Surprise,surprise, the big ISPs oppose that as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have multiple choices if I'm willing to give up some things I do on the Internet. I'm a gamer which means I have to have a solid Internet connection. In my case, it's Cox Cable. I cannot go with anything else that provides the level of service I need. Cox has been granted basically a monopoly in my area and other options can't get in. So, it's either Cox or nothing.

Break up that system and I'd be willing to see net neutrality go because Cox would have to compete with other providers and they'd have incentive to not charge more for streaming Netflix or whatever.

I'm not sure I understand what net neutrality is overall.

It was in place for a while, and now it is not again.

Has anything changed between those two periods of time? I'm totally serious.

Did you have competition prior to net neutrality, and don't anymore?

I don't get it I suppose. Did they charge more to stream stuff before, and didn't after - and now will do it again? Is that all net neutrality is? Throttling?

I live in the sticks and have no cable or DSL, yet I have several options including multiple cell phone plans and at least two satellite plans to choose from.

I'm familiar with this scenario. People that live a couple of miles away - not considered the sticks - don't have any options....and never have.

They can get a hot spot from the cell companies. I haven't heard of any satellite locally, although that doesn't mean it isn't there. Although, Satellite is HUGELY expensive.

Many places don't have cable, fiber, dsl, etc. They didn't have it prior to this, nor afterwards. As far as the digital divide? That's something I would bet they never address. It will leave children behind in technology, but big companies like Cox, Comcast, ATT, etc? Its not their concern.

I wish they would find something that addresses that.

Upvote 0