Orlando, Florida
✟1,268,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
How would that be any different than characterizing many Christian churches as abusive sex cults, just because abusive sexual practices happen there. It would be equally inflammatory and unfair.

Or is it because Tibetan Buddhism has a potentially positive view of sexuality combined with spirituality, one that is distinct from the typical Christian ethic?

That book, Traveller's in Space, does not at all seem to be focused primarily on sexual abuse in Tibetan Buddhism. It looks like an exploration of the symbolism of gender in the religion. https://www.amazon.com/Traveller-Space-Identity-Tibetan-Buddhism/dp/0826457193

Different does not mean bad. Yes, Tibetan Buddhism is different, but we need to be careful when we reduce a religion to one thing and label it evil.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Tibetan Buddhism should really be styled Tibetan "Buddhism," with the Buddhism in quotes, because what the Tibetans practice is a mixture of sorcery and superstition of the worst kind, concealed beneath a veneer of Buddhism. Westerners are drawn in by the talk of peace and happiness, only to find themselves victimized to a shocking extent by their supposed "teachers." The guru-cult would be more accurately styled "Lamaism" -- a fact that has been known in the West since the nineteenth century, but is rarely acknowledged.
Sadly, IMO Tibetan "Buddhism" has apparently deviated greatly from the historical Buddha's teachings.

I agree with you, that Tibetan "Buddhism" - according to my studies over the past 7+ years (in my search to find a rational religion) - seems be a mixture of part indigenous beliefs, part tantric magic, part Hinduism, and part Mahayana Buddhism.

They've taken the Mahayana idea of "no-self" (non-duality) to the extreme. (This is contrasted with early Buddhism's idea of "not-self"). Under the idea that there is no self, they have seemingly allowed themselves great latitude to explore immoralities - things condemned in the scriptures of early Buddhism - as their preferred way of destroying their sense of self to 1. transcend good and evil and 2. to reach their idea of enlightenment. They call this "crazy wisdom"! :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Look! Its like the Nothing never was.
Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
In 1996 June Campbell shattered Tibetan Buddhism's anodyne image by publishing Traveller in Space. The world learned that Tibetan Buddhism, beneath its talk of compassion and altruism, was in fact an abusive sex cult that controlled the lives of its adherents through fear and superstition.

More recently, Christine Chandler has published an exposé titled Enthralled: The Guru Cult of Tibetan Buddhism. Here we learn not only of the dark side of Tibetan Buddhism but also of its enablers and protectors in the West.

Recently I came across a third offering on the subject, Exposing Deeds of Darkness: Becoming Non-Attached to That Which Teaches Non-Attachment by Donald and Cheryl Lynne Rubbo.

What is interesting about Exposing Deeds of Darkness is that the Rubbos ultimately found their freedom in Jesus Christ.

Tibetan Buddhism should really be styled Tibetan "Buddhism," with the Buddhism in quotes, because what the Tibetans practice is a mixture of sorcery and superstition of the worst kind, concealed beneath a veneer of Buddhism. Westerners are drawn in by the talk of peace and happiness, only to find themselves victimized to a shocking extent by their supposed "teachers." The guru-cult would be more accurately styled "Lamaism" -- a fact that has been known in the West since the nineteenth century, but is rarely acknowledged.

What makes Donald and Cheryl Lynne Rubbo unique is that they kept up a belief in God throughout their involvement in Tibetan "Buddhism," and this despite the fact that neither had a Christian upbringing. They left their "Buddhist" master in 2006, but for many years experienced medical and financial problems they attributed to his malevolence. It was not until 2013 that they began to spontaneously cry out to God for help.

They were then moved to buy a Bible and began to read, though not through any denominational or doctrinal lens. It was through this unfiltered reading of the Bible that they found their way to Jesus.

I don't think the authors ever joined any particular denomination. At one point they suggest that, having been part of a cult, they never want to be part of any organization ever again. They did, though, seek out help from kindred spirits on the Internet.

The book seems to have been self-published, and I think it could have benefited from some editorial pruning and re-shaping. Apart from this, I found it well-written and informative.

I would never call any religion a cult and belittle it by saying it practices evil and any of that nonsense. People come to faiths in different ways. Some practice one religion for a long period and find Christ. Others find Christ and found the religion does not change their heart as their current religion does. Tibetan Buddhism is a conglomerate of different Buddhist sects. Many of which are more mystic than what The Buddha himself taught. Others, in my opinion, are more towards Buddhist thought than say some sects in Mahayana. Regardless every religion I came across I can speak positive about while disagreeing at the same time.

It's one thing to encourage and clap at those who have found Christ. It's a totally different to belittle their former religion in light the religion they convert to.

Sex cult? The Buddha taught no such thing. There is a nun who has Dharma talks and shares about different parts of Tibetan Buddhism that I find informative not evangelistic if I'm allowed to share in this type forum. Buddhism isn't an evangelical religion.

I mean it's sad that the people do what they do, but their religion has nothing to do with it.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Buddhism isn't an evangelical religion.
Early Buddhism is a missionary religion; in the Mahakhandhaka Vinaya (Pi Tv Kd 1), we see the Buddha sending out sixty arahants:

Then the Lord addressed the monks, saying: “I, monks, am freed from all snares, both those of devas and those of men. And you, monks, are freed from all snares, both those of devas and those of men. Walk, monks, on tour for the blessing of the manyfolk, for the happiness of the manyfolk out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the blessing, the happiness of devas and men. Let not two (of you) go by one (way.) Monks, teach dhamma which is lovely at the beginning, lovely in the middle, lovely at the ending. Explain with the spirit and the letter the Brahma-faring completely fulfilled, wholly pure. There are beings with little dust in their eyes, who, not hearing dhamma, are decaying, (but) if they are learners of dhamma, they will grow. And I, monks, will go along to Uruvelā, to the Camp township, in order to teach dhamma.”

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not a matter of a few bad apples. The books make the case that abuse, and the conditions that lead to abuse, are part of the system:
  • Commitment to keep it all secret -- part of the system
  • Committing to never criticize the guru, no matter what -- part of the system
  • Traumatizing little boys by removing them from their parents at the age of three or four years old -- part of the system
More consequences of the system come to light: Sogyal Rinpoche and the abuse accusations rocking the Buddhist world
This is big in my reality. I am shocked and disappointed. I should be used to guru's disappointing me by now and yet I am disturbed and upset by this report. This is why I came back to Christianity; I can only trust Lord Jesus Christ. Clearly from many posts on CF many pastors and churches are not trustworthy either, despite everyone's insistence that Christianity requires church going fellowship.

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Look! Its like the Nothing never was.
Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Early Buddhism is a missionary religion; in the Mahakhandhaka Vinaya (Pi Tv Kd 1), we see the Buddha sending out sixty arahants:

Then the Lord addressed the monks, saying: “I, monks, am freed from all snares, both those of devas and those of men. And you, monks, are freed from all snares, both those of devas and those of men. Walk, monks, on tour for the blessing of the manyfolk, for the happiness of the manyfolk out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the blessing, the happiness of devas and men. Let not two (of you) go by one (way.) Monks, teach dhamma which is lovely at the beginning, lovely in the middle, lovely at the ending. Explain with the spirit and the letter the Brahma-faring completely fulfilled, wholly pure. There are beings with little dust in their eyes, who, not hearing dhamma, are decaying, (but) if they are learners of dhamma, they will grow. And I, monks, will go along to Uruvelā, to the Camp township, in order to teach dhamma.”

Evangelism is a one-sided expression of ones faith. More of a lecture. All The Buddha's teachings are dialogues between The Buddha and his disciples.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Brooks

Dec 3, 2017
Revloc PA
✟13,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is big in my reality. I am shocked and disappointed. I should be used to guru's disappointing me by now and yet I am disturbed and upset by this report. This is why I came back to Christianity; I can only trust Lord Jesus Christ. Clearly from many posts on CF many pastors and churches are not trustworthy either, despite everyone's insistence that Christianity requires church going fellowship.
"Christianity requires church going fellowship" is kind of an ambiguous statement. Lots of people might take that to mean that salvation requires church going fellowship, which is absolutely wrong. Faith and trust in Jesus Christ is the only thing that can save us. Salvation is by Jesus only, not Jesus plus church, or Jesus plus baptism, or Jesus plus anything else for that matter. Because that mixes grace with works, which is a false gospel that can't save anyone. (Not saying that you believe that church attendance is required for salvation, I'm just that anyone who does say that is wrong.)
What must I do to be saved?
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums