Exposing Adventism - Ellen White on the Seal of God

jorgfe

Oct 26, 2007
✟15,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did Ellen White tell the truth about the Seal of God?

Here is yet another example of Ellen White's intellectual dishonesty.

She claimed that the seal of God's law is found in the fourth commandment.
This only, of all ten, brings to view both the name and the title of the Lawgiver. It declares him to be the Creator of the heavens and the earth, and thus shows his claim to reverence and worship above all others. Aside from this precept, there is nothing in the decalogue to show by whose authority the law is given. When the Sabbath was changed by the papal power, the seal was taken from the law. The disciples of Jesus are called upon to restore it, by exalting the Sabbath of the fourth commandment to its rightful position as the Creator's memorial and the sign of his authority. (Great Controversy, 1888, p. 451)
How convenient it is that she fails to include Exodus 20:2 which emphatically introduces the Giver of the Decalogue. Perhaps she also didn't realize that its Author is also given in the 2nd, the 3rd, and the 5th commandment, as well as the 4th!

Gilbert Jorgensen
It has been 164 Years, 1 Months, and 21 Days since October 22, 1844​

Restin

Restin
Jul 27, 2008
Arkansas
✟15,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gilbert Jorgensen

The history, the ignorance of the children of Israel, is being repeated in the SDA church of today. Do the leaders know and understand what they are doing? Is SDA the 'Laodicean' church of Rev 3:17?
1 Corinthians 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the
hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for
had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory
. KJV

Revelation 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing;
and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: KJV

Luke 23:34 Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. KJV
As this prayer of Jesus becomes my prayer and your prayer for the brethren, God will bless!

Peace....Restin

Upvote 0

jorgfe

Oct 26, 2007
✟15,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is SDA the 'Laodicean' church of Rev 3:17?

Peace....Restin

You ask a profound question.

Seventh-day Adventism's "continuing and authoritative source of truth", Ellen White, stated:
"That these men should stand in a sacred place, to be as the voice of God to the people, as we once believed the General Conference to be--that is past". --Last Day Events 50.4

“As for the voice of the General Conference, there is no voice from God through that body that is reliable.” -Manuscript 57, October 12, 1895 & Manuscript Releases, vol 17, p 178

"The church is in the Laodicean state. The presence of Christ is not in her midst." -Notebook Leaflets, p 99

Ellen White clearly stated that the Seventh-day Adventist Church is in a Laodician state. The SDA Bible Commentary for Revelation shows specific starting and ending dates for the various church periods. It identifies the Revelation Church of Philadelphia as starting around 1798 and ending 1844 (if I remember correctly). It shows the Laodician Church period starting in 1844 and running until the end of time.

The Seventh-day Adventist Church very definitely teaches that we are in the time period for the Church of Laodicia. Now that creates another enigma for Seventh-day Adventists.

According to Seventh-day Adventist Historicism, the Lord's Second Coming is History, Not Prophecy.

Seventh-day Adventists claim that they are now in the "time period" represented by the Laodician Church. They also say that the time of testing mentioned in Rev. 3:10 is a reference to Revelation 13:13-17, which they place in the future.

Revelation 3:10 clearly refers to the Church at Philadelphia which is seen by Seventh-day Adventism as symbolic of the second last period in the history of the church (generally dated from the later years of the 18th century till 1844). The Laodicean period follows on from it, and continues until the second advent.

The burden of proof is upon S.D.A. historicists to show how the Lord could help the believer living in the "Philadelphian" period of church history from being overcome in the hour of testing when, according to their assertion, the hour testing doesn't occur during the "Philadelphian" period, but rather during the "Laodicean" period.

Now in traditional S.D.A. historicism, the time of temptation described in Revelation 3:10 is described as "Satan's final effort". Following on from the above assertions, S.D.A. historicism should say, to be consistent, that the faithful believers who lived through the "Philadelphian" period of church history (generally held by them to occur between the late 18th century and just after 1844) were kept by God during "Satan's final effort" to deceive the world, and furthermore, that the events of Revelation 13:13-17 occurred during this same period of the church.

The implications of the Seventh-day Adventist scheme that interprets the churches as consecutive periods is that since we are no longer in the "Philadelphian" period but rather in the next period-the "Laodicean"- the last great crisis of the world is behind us, probation for the human race closed nearly 165 years ago, the issue over the mark of beast is long past, the seven last plagues have already fallen, and the Lord's coming is really history and not prophecy.

Gilbert Jorgensen
It has been 164 Years, 1 Months, and 28 Days since October 22, 1844​

Upvote 0

radlad72

Apr 14, 2008
✟7,740.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You know what I hate? It's people who taking writing by EGW out of context and use them to 'prove' she was a false prophet. I am not saying whether she was or not, but please use things in context to give you a little more credence in your arguments. Some writings were for individuals or individual churches and suddenly we need to use it for everything.

Upvote 0

Avonia

Just look through the telescope . . .
Dec 13, 2007
✟9,313.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
You know what I hate? It's people who taking writing by EGW out of context and use them to 'prove' she was a false prophet. I am not saying whether she was or not, but please use things in context to give you a little more credence in your arguments. Some writings were for individuals or individual churches and suddenly we need to use it for everything.
The point you make is relevant to the Bible as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pythons

Feb 17, 2008
✟5,503.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From what I understand about Seventh-day Adventism they teach that Christ "could have come" if , as a Church, the group as a whole, would have reflected Christ ( at least 144,000 of them ). There is plenty of material generated by Ellen that says exactly this.

The problem is that the SDA Church, according to James White (anti-Trinitarian) had started to back-slide causing Christ NOT to come. There is a frantic effort within the denomination suggesting that the 5th generation of SDA's could attain a sinless state and then usher in the Second Coming of Christ. I happend onto a set of audio CD's where this is discussed in great detal.

If I'm understanding the material on the CD's correctly Satan is said to have identified the Seventh-day Adventist Church subsequent to 1844 (within 2 years) then began an attack on the SDA Church specifically while leaving the other Church sytems alone. The reason the other Church denominations are left alone is because Satan took full control of all other denominations directly after 1844 so the only place they will have in the future is performing the will of Satan, only more openly then they currently do.

The tapes were fairly explicit that the reason Christ didn't come is because the SDA's moved into apostasy. Ellen taught that upon the Resurrection Jesus "dumped" His body and God provided Jesus a new body. Very interesting CD's to be sure that source out the quotes of Ellen White and which books and dates she wrote them. The SDA Pastor is named Willard Santee ( not sure of the spelling ) and it's called "Generation five". A total of 8 CD's.

The following video explains more about the Second Coming, how it is required by SDA's and their understanding on Biblical Prophecy. Now, understand that this is from the Traditional SDA view NOT the Progressive SDA view.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...eG5y4qAPB15CpBA&q=seventh+day+adventism&hl=en

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Avonia

Just look through the telescope . . .
Dec 13, 2007
✟9,313.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
From what I understand about Seventh-day Adventism they teach that Christ "could have come" if , as a Church, the group as a whole, would have reflected Christ ( at least 144,000 of them ). There is plenty of material generated by Ellen that says exactly this.
Given that most of Christianity is waiting for Christ to return and many ascribe our action, or lack of it, as one of the reasons, I'm not sure how this is all that interesting.

But here's one that is. Just imagine visiting the planet and running into a group of Christians participating in the communion ceremony - drinking someone's blood and eating their body. That would be an interesting first encounter.

This is why the post about context is valuable. If you understand someone's context, you understand why everything they believe makes sense. We have endless threads on Sabbath because of context, not content.

Upvote 0

Pythons

Feb 17, 2008
✟5,503.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Seal of God is not 'only' the Sabbath, it's also understood to be God's way of accepting a thing. Ellen White is understood to be more then a Prophet in this sense. Jesus, in early Adventism was understood to be an imitation of God and Ellen was understood to be an imitation of Christ. Ellen was "ONE" with Christ in the exact same way that Jesus was 'ONE' with God.

Ellen White said:
The unity that exists between Christ and His disciples does not destroy the personality of either. THEY ARE ONE in purpose, in mind, in character, but NOT IN PERSON. It is thus that God and Christ are ONE.

Jesus is ONE with God exactly as Jesus is ONE with the disciples ( those who wrote Sacred Scripture under direction of God ). This makes the disciples ONE in character, mind and purpose with God and by default would include Ellen.

Ellen's works "are Canonical" because she continues to be authoritative, corrective, etc, etc, etc.

Fundamental Belief 18 said:
One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen. G. White .

As the Lord's messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)

This is exactly what Canonical text does,

Canon of Scripture 2 Timothy 3 said:
And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

The Book of James does not dispute the book of Romans thus the Books of Ellen White do not dispute the 'other Sciptures'. Viola, Ellen White is Canonical. I can't be sure if this is what the OP intended to say but I'm guessing it is part of it. Ellen White IS the Seal of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Victorville, California, CorpUSA
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

You know, I thought the same thing reading the OP. It's like the OP didn't bother reading the 'whole' chapter "A Work of Reform" just cherry-picked an area where he thought he could fire a rotten tomato and slander a dead woman.

Whoa now that's progress! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Victorville, California, CorpUSA
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Yes.

This only, of all ten, brings to view both the name and the title of the Lawgiver. It declares him to be the Creator of the heavens and the earth, and thus shows his claim to reverence and worship above all others. Aside from this precept, there is nothing in the decalogue to show by whose authority the law is given. When the Sabbath was changed by the papal power, the seal was taken from the law. The disciples of Jesus are called upon to restore it, by exalting the Sabbath of the fourth commandment to its rightful position as the Creator's memorial and the sign of his authority. (Great Controversy, 1888, p. 451)
How convenient it is that she fails to include Exodus 20:2 which emphatically introduces the Giver of the Decalogue. Perhaps she also didn't realize that its Author is also given in the 2nd, the 3rd, and the 5th commandment, as well as the 4th!

I'd read the whole chapter if I were you.You seem to be missing so much. Also, maybe a little more honesty in portraying what was actually written would be helpful. I don't know.

What a shame it is to see a "legless" man trying to stand-up and throw rocks at the dead!

"The Lord commands by the same prophet: "Bind up the testimony, seal the law among My disciples." Isaiah 8:16. The seal of God's law is found in the fourth commandment. This only, of all the ten, brings to view both the name and the title of the Lawgiver. It declares Him to be the Creator of the heavens and the earth, and thus shows His claim to reverence and worship above all others. Aside from this precept, there is nothing in the Decalogue to show by whose authority the law is given. When the Sabbath was changed by the papal power, the seal was taken from the law. The disciples of Jesus are called upon to restore it by exalting the Sabbath of the fourth commandment to its rightful position as the Creator's memorial and the sign of His authority." The Great Controversy, page 452

Upvote 0

Byfaithalone1

The gospel is Jesus Christ!
May 3, 2007
✟11,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes.

I'd read the whole chapter if I were you.You seem to be missing so much. Also, maybe a little more honesty in portraying what was actually written would be helpful. I don't know.

What a shame it is to see a "legless" man trying to stand-up and throw rocks at the dead!

"The Lord commands by the same prophet: "Bind up the testimony, seal the law among My disciples." Isaiah 8:16. The seal of God's law is found in the fourth commandment. This only, of all the ten, brings to view both the name and the title of the Lawgiver. It declares Him to be the Creator of the heavens and the earth, and thus shows His claim to reverence and worship above all others. Aside from this precept, there is nothing in the Decalogue to show by whose authority the law is given. When the Sabbath was changed by the papal power, the seal was taken from the law. The disciples of Jesus are called upon to restore it by exalting the Sabbath of the fourth commandment to its rightful position as the Creator's memorial and the sign of His authority." The Great Controversy, page 452

RND,

According to the writings of Ellen G. White, what does a man do or not do (in the days immediately prior to the second coming of Jesus Christ) that causes him to receive the mark of the beast?

In answering this question, you might find that the man is not as legless as you previously thought.

BFA

Upvote 0

Byfaithalone1

The gospel is Jesus Christ!
May 3, 2007
✟11,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does EGW ever say that non-sabbatarians won't see the inside of heaven?

That's a great question. I have some thoughts on it. However, I believe that, in pursuing the answer to my previous question, we will also answer your subsequent question. Here is my previous question once again:
According to the writings of Ellen G. White, what does a man do or not do (in the days immediately prior to the second coming of Jesus Christ) that causes him to receive the mark of the beast?
How do you respond to this question?

BFA

Upvote 0