• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Explanation or excuse - dealing with obnoxious behaviour.

Discussion in 'Bridge Builders - Moderate Christians' started by hopeforhappiness, May 17, 2021.

1. hopeforhappiness

hopeforhappiness New Member

+17
    Christian
    Private
    We have a family member who is EXTREMELY and embarrassingly controlling. It's pathological. She'd even buy you her choice of furniture, paint or white goods and be offended if you didn't use it. She even designed our kitchen and ordered it online - we just had to press the 'accept' button. She thinks she is a believer.
    Another husband (not a Christian) told her off and now she keeps her advice to herself regarding his household.
    BUT... we found out why she is the way she is.
    She was abused by an uncle. Now she has to control and plan every situation in case something bad happens.
    So, my wife says this is an explanation and also an excuse for the behaviour and will indulge it, even going so far as to accept the unwanted items or advice.
    I say that explanation is not excuse and we don't have to indulge her.
    I raised this with a friend (a believer) who in a children's home was abused as well. Her reply was very surprising. "No it's not acceptable (her behaviour), she needs to learn some social lessons and moreover she needs to FORGET about the abuse"
    What do you think?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,621
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Partial right. This poor women needs counselling to obtain healing from her past.
    Yes she needs to learn she doesn't have to control every situation.

How you tell her to do this I don't know, possible by sitting down with her and asking her why she is so controlling, persisting or asking is it anything to do with unresolved issues in her past and that there are supply her with names and contact details of those who could help her.

Do pray for her.

3. disciple Clint

disciple Clint Well-Known Member

+3,503
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I would suggest that you honestly tell her that you appreciate that she is interested in yelping you but the final decision on anything has to come from you and your wife after you have both had time to consider the options.

4. hopeforhappiness

hopeforhappiness New Member

+17
    Christian
    Private
    Yes, the advice is good. But really I am wanting to explore this "explanation v excuse" approach to bad behaviour. I know of a really obnoxious pre-teen who is excused by the foster mum, because of her terrible first few years of life, whereas the foster dad is not indulgent at all and sees those early years as just an explanation.
    Excuse or explanation affects pastoral ministry.