Tikhon

Mar 21, 2017
United States
✟8,305.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'd prefer that people who are iconodules (forgive the spelling, but those who support iconography) and not iconoclasts answer the following questions, if they can. I am an Eastern Orthodox Christian but I have been having internal conflicts about iconography very recently. I know that the icon (regardless of who is depicted) is not a false/pagan god however these two questions have been lingering with me:

1. Though Christ did became Incarnate (took on flesh as God) what gives us (e.g., Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholics, High Church Anglicans, etc.) the right to make icons of Him (or the saints) when we've not seen them personally? Isn't it almost idolatrous to make an image, attach Christ's name to it (e.g., "This is Christ's Icon", "This is an icon of St. Michael", etc.), then reverence it (bowing before, crossing before, kissing it, lighting a candle, incense, etc.) when we don't know what they look like? Given the issue of the Israelites ascribing the name of the True God with a golden calf (i.e., misrepresenting God)? Is it not misrepresentation to make an image and ascribe the name of Christ to it or make a relationship between the two?

2. If not, then what is the definition of idolatry, especially as far as misrepresenting God (the Trinity) vs. that of non-idolatrous iconography that is acceptable to venerate or reverence? How, as Orthodox/Catholics, are we to approach icons?

Orthodox/Catholic answers would be most appreciated.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,598.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to the forums Tikhon. You might be better served by asking your question in the Orthodox sub forum called The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox

You could also request that this thread be moved to that sub forum by reporting your 1st post and stating your desire to have the thread moved in the Reason for Report.

Welcome again :)

Upvote 0