Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
J.C. Philpot

If salvation implies a previous state from which it is a deliverance, then I say that it is childish folly to talk of being saved if we know nothing EXPERIMENTALLY of what we are saved from.

All doctrines, notions, forms, creeds, ordinances and ceremonies short of this manifested salvation are as the dust of the balance, and as the driven stubble before the wind.

What, for instance, is election, except it be revealed to my soul that I was elected before the foundation of the world?

What is redemption to me, except the atoning blood of the Lamb be sprinkled on MY conscience?

What is the everlasting love of a Triune Jehovah, unless that eternal love be shed abroad in MY heart by the Holy Ghost?

To see these things revealed in the Bible is nothing. To hear them preached by one of God’s ministers is nothing. To receive the truth into our judgment and to yield to them an unwavering assent is nothing. Thousands have done this who are blaspheming God in hell. A man must have salvation as an INTERNAL REALITY, AS A KNOWN, ENJOYED, TASTED, FELT AND HANDLED POSSESSION, or he will never enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
True! Is of an object necessity that the heart of men be changed!

Thus Christ warned the church of Ephesus that if they leave their first love; He will come upon them quickly and remove their candlestick.

We must be born again!

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Well a person has a choice do they believe what a man says or the Bible.

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thousands have done this who are blaspheming God in hell. A
And you have evidence for this statement?
That we each have to humble ourselves before God and each as an individual receive his salvation in how ever you want to discripe the method.
Jesus's warning about trying to judge others while being impied by a mountain of one's own faults really does apply here.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
And you have evidence for this statement?
That we each have to humble ourselves before God and each as an individual receive his salvation in how ever you want to discripe the method.
Jesus's warning about trying to judge others while being impied by a mountain of one's own faults really does apply here.

Philpot is talking about professors - those who profess faith in Christ but have none. They talk Christian-ese but fall to trust in Christ, it's just the intellect, it's a mental belief without trust. J. C. Philpot was a minster of the Gospel and his job was to warn the flock about false beliefs and ideas, to preach the Gospel of God's grace that saves, not to pander to sinners and feed goats.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
How does the differ from typical rivalism that confuses faith with feelings?
I wish things could be cut and dry but I'm not the same ol' JM that use to post here. The older I get the less I'm concerned with dogmatically stating what should be believed. As to your question, it's not an either / or type of deal, not as I see it. I think revivalism is just emotion. Dogmaticism is head knowledge. Christians should have both.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I wish things could be cut and dry but I'm not the same ol' JM that use to post here. The older I get the less I'm concerned with dogmatically stating what should be believed. As to your question, it's not an either / or type of deal, not as I see it. I think revivalism is just emotion. Dogmaticism is head knowledge. Christians should have both.
Of course. But the OP goes further than that. I suggests that feeling is essential for salvation. To me that is a result, as is sanctification. The danger of making salvation depend upon it is that it focuses our attention on our own feelings rather than on Christ, and encourages people to try and conjure up feelings.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Of course. But the OP goes further than that. I suggests that feeling is essential for salvation. To me that is a result, as is sanctification. The danger of making salvation depend upon it is that it focuses our attention on our own feelings rather than on Christ, and encourages people to try and conjure up feelings.
I don't know man, Christ makes us 'feel' for real, He restoreth the soul, it's difficult to use scholastic theological categories to define the movements of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0