Defcon

------ Dr. Greg Bahnsen
Sep 14, 2005
✟17,065.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I know that it is not a Book or by a reformed person. but the documentary by Ben Stein "Expelled" is a very interesting look into the world of Darwinism and it grip on the scientific community in the U.S.

I thought it was an interesting documentary. Exposing the sheer prejudice of the supposed "objective" scientific community was useful. It was a frustrating hearing only the Intelligent Design argument that was void of scripture and presuppositional arguments. Overall, I thought it was worthwhile.

Upvote 0

Kennesaw42

Shepherd's Crook, Roughly Hewn
Jan 5, 2011
Western USA
✟7,771.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately the entire movie seems no longer available on You Tube; I was only able to watch a dozen or so short clips, but enough to get the gist. Better was the three-part interview between Stein and R.C. Sproul.
Fascinated with the evolution challenge to Christians for some 50 years now, I've read Behe, Johnson, Stephen Meyer, and other prominent ID proponents, and I love their work as far as it goes, and it certainly goes quite far enough to sound the death knell for neo-Darwinism. My great disappointment in the ID movement, and most of the people associated with it, is their careful distancing of themselves from uncompromising creationists in general, and young-earth creationists in particular. I myself am of the latter persuasion. Once you posit an intelligent Designer smart enough to design and give life to the cell, then why deny that Designer the wherewithal to create species, including man, without some cockamamie common descent theory, or the wherewithal to create galaxies and the solar system and the earth with built in ageing. Skeptics ask why we can see light from galaxies a billion light years distant if the universe is only 10,000 years old. That's easy: God who made those galaxies also made the rays of their light pre-extended.
But I've gotten off-topic. One point I really liked from Ben Stein, and that was how fearful evolutionary scientists are of ID; they must really feel threatened.
To me there is only one coherent explanation for why materialistic evolution has come to dominate our intellectual culture in such an oppressive, tyrannical way, and that is quite simply that men are by nature blind, morally and spiritually and even intellectually. And as long as our universities and school systems continue to be dominated by such men and women, by the blind, then the most compelling arguments in the world are not going to convince them or bring down their house. Only the gospel of Christ, only the truth of God driven home by the Spirit of God, can accomplish that.
But it is a deeply absorbing subject, and I would love to hear the views of my brothers and sisters here on these subjects.

Upvote 0