May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK...for the sake of argument...
Lets say that you are involved with another person and where you do care for them...you simply don't want to date them any longer.

You want no more romantic engagements with this person...maybe as a friend later but...you really don't want to date them any longer.

How do you dump them? You do care about their feelings...you most certainly do not want to hurt them...even if only just a little bit for the missed match which you know is gonna happen. How do you accomplish that task?

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So...

You two are advocating telling them that they would suck for me or you as a life partner and would cause us all kinds of misery?

For some reason this doesn't exactly sound like caring or grace. That sort of sounds like scraping the scum off of your shoe...and making them feel like that.

not exactly what I had in mind.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
in honesty , tell them that you no longer want to date them because you feel you are moving in another direction. You don't have to put them down or think up a lie. Dumping someone is never easy, but you don't have to be mean about it and it's cruel to keep leading them on in the relationship if you know it's no good for you.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would suck or would not be good for you as a life partner? You are adding hateful words that aren't needed. Just tell her the truth.

It must be morning everywhere today. Even here cause yawl ain't understanding what I am talking about.

OK...obviously we don't use harsh or cruel words.
(and there is no one in my life that needs to be let down easy at the moment)This is merely a discussion topic....K?

But what I was interested in was what precisely you think that letting a person down easy looks like.

How do you go about it...how do you let a person down easy?
Telling them the truth is part of it...OBVIOUSLY or else we wouldn't be discussing it.

So...what does it look like to you when you are letting someone down easy?

Upvote 0

Oddish

May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD.
Jun 20, 2009
✟31,510.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just say that you don't think that you are compatible, that you want different things from life, and you don't see you two heading anywhere. The truth may hurt at first but it is better for her to know now so that she won't waste more time and energy,

Reactions: Bitnd12
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CoachR64

Awesome, with a side order of amazing
Jul 2, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
✟25,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There really is no such thing as letting someone down easy. Trying to do that usually causes way more problems than it solves. Being straight up honest isn't just the best policy, but should be the only policy. No matter how you do it, you can not control how the other person reacts. The only thing you can control is you, and being honest and up front is within your control.

Coach

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is why I advocate NOT getting romantically involved with people you don't already know relatively well. I don't believe in "getting to know someone through dating" because this is exactly what happens 99% of the time (the other 1% of the time, you stay together forever and wind up married).

John, you know perfectly well that you can tell the truth in a KIND way. Instead of saying "We'd suck together and I'd be completely miserable in a relationship with you" you can say "You're a wonderful person, but I just don't feel any long-term potential or chemistry. I wish you the best, and I'm very sorry if I've hurt you."

Seriously. Duh.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is why I advocate NOT getting romantically involved with people you don't already know relatively well. I don't believe in "getting to know someone through dating" because this is exactly what happens 99% of the time (the other 1% of the time, you stay together forever and wind up married).

John, you know perfectly well that you can tell the truth in a KIND way. Instead of saying "We'd suck together and I'd be completely miserable in a relationship with you" you can say "You're a wonderful person, but I just don't feel any long-term potential or chemistry. I wish you the best, and I'm very sorry if I've hurt you."

Seriously. Duh.

I do know this. And most people do have a heart when it comes down to this.

But what I was looking for was how you express your heart in such matters. Everyone is different than others in how they do this.

Some use standard cliche' patterns and lines...others give them a message from their heart...all depending upon the person and how that person handles relationships.

And I was curious.

And where curiosity did kill the cat...
Satisfaction brought him back.

Upvote 0

welshman

Mar 5, 2008
Wales
✟23,438.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Amen :thumbsup::bow:

Seriously. Duh.

Upvote 0

Tabasco

Jan 1, 2009
✟7,816.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OK...for the sake of argument...
Lets say that you are involved with another person and where you do care for them...you simply don't want to date them any longer.

You want no more romantic engagements with this person...maybe as a friend later but...you really don't want to date them any longer.

How do you dump them? You do care about their feelings...you most certainly do not want to hurt them...even if only just a little bit for the missed match which you know is gonna happen. How do you accomplish that task?

There is no delicate way to dump someone - no matter how tactful you are, it is going to hurt that person. I tend to have a sort of "messiah" complex when it comes to break-ups (that is, I wish I could take all the pain upon myself), but it is impossible. She will be hurt and, believe it or not, so will you (unless you don't have a soul, which I'm sure you do).

Upvote 0