• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

exhibitionism

ronss

Apr 3, 2013
✟7,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
i am 70, exhibitionism started when i was about 15....the problem has existed all my life, a struggle with it....alcolhol was with me in the 30s , my mom said i half drank myself to death..stopped drinking alcohol at 45, but from 30 to 45, 3 times a month...heavy...been free from drinking for 25 yrs...but the exhibitionism is a stuggle....there is a part of me that wants to do it..another says no....i wish i could end it....i am pretty much a loner now, had a couple of friends...but they seen to drink a lot, not much in common......i am willing to try some suggestions here......ron

• Friendly
Reactions: Leaf473

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just say no’. Just don’t. I pray the Lord would strengthen your spirit a weaken your flesh. It’s flesh that wants to do that. But the spirit is willing to follow God. So the struggle is right and good and holy. It’s is your conscience ,godly, wanting to do what’s right. Follow it and if you do God will give the increase.

Start with repentance.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i am 70, exhibitionism started when i was about 15....the problem has existed all my life, a struggle with it....alcolhol was with me in the 30s , my mom said i half drank myself to death..stopped drinking alcohol at 45, but from 30 to 45, 3 times a month...heavy...been free from drinking for 25 yrs...but the exhibitionism is a stuggle....there is a part of me that wants to do it..another says no....i wish i could end it....i am pretty much a loner now, had a couple of friends...but they seen to drink a lot, not much in common......i am willing to try some suggestions here......ron
Hi ronss,

May the Lord be with you, and give you peace.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lust is a sin. Leave it behind, same as alcohol.

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Thanks for sharing, brother. I've found it helpful to find out "WHY?" WHY do you do these things? In the background of all of this there is likely a bunch of pain, or anger, or some such thing, probably driven from things that happened in your childhood. At things happen in your life that trigger these emotions, and from there you just go on auto pilot, doing what you've always done to get relief, without even thinking about it. These are classic addiction symptoms.

If you can afford to get some sessions with a counselor, I'd suggest you do that. Or at the very least, find a group of guys that you can trust to hear your 55 year story of acting out this way, and who can help you with accountability.

By all means, tell SOMEONE you can trust who will be empathetic and non-judgemental. Just the shame alone can drive you into more similar behavior, and I know you're ready to end that. Telling the right people will help you with the shame, and that will help you get better.

Upvote 0