New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would love to have health insurance but I can't afford it and I'm not turning over all my private information to the government.

I used to work for the government, they have your info, trust me.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There's only one way to completely opt out of the health care system: have no health care issues whatsoever, at any time, ever.

And there's only one way to do that:

Die.

-- A2SG, just know that attempting to do that may result in someone calling an ambulance for you, so.....
Yes, but for mature adults of sound mind sometimes they make that decision about certain health conditions. I have heard of it being done had a family member suggest it and have even considered it myself at TWENTY-TWO under certain conditions.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, but for mature adults of sound mind sometimes they make that decision about certain health conditions. I have heard of it being done had a family member suggest it and have even considered it myself at TWENTY-TWO under certain conditions.

And the problem is, when those mature adults of sound mind do need health care -- and they will at some point, most likely in an emergency situation -- a hospital will still treat them. And the cost for that treatment, since they don't have insurance, will be picked up by the rest of us.

That's the general principle behind the individual mandate, and why conservatives like the Heritage Foundation and Mitt Romney felt it was a good idea.

-- A2SG, well, until Democrats agreed with them, then it somehow became insidious and dangerous....

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would love to have health insurance but I can't afford it and I'm not turning over all my private information to the government.

If you file an income tax return then the government already has your "private" information.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And the problem is, when those mature adults of sound mind do need health care -- and they will at some point, most likely in an emergency situation -- a hospital will still treat them. And the cost for that treatment, since they don't have insurance, will be picked up by the rest of us.

That's the general principle behind the individual mandate, and why conservatives like the Heritage Foundation and Mitt Romney felt it was a good idea.

-- A2SG, well, until Democrats agreed with them, then it somehow became insidious and dangerous....
I would have no problem with it if that was the ONLY thing it covered not birth control not preventive care NOTHING but emergency treatment just like they do now but people would be covered with insurance HOWEVER preventive care and everything else no just to enough to get the person stable that is what conservatives were going to do not cover everything or emergency care and MAYBE a LITTLE bit of preventive care not lab work birth control ECT Plus if the ONLY time you had to cover someone was pretty much when they are out cold and literally CANNOT refuse and no other time it would be cheaper.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would have no problem with it if that was the ONLY thing it covered not birth control not preventive care NOTHING but emergency treatment just like they do now but people would be covered with insurance HOWEVER preventive care and everything else no just to enough to get the person stable that is what conservatives were going to do not cover everything or emergency care and MAYBE a LITTLE bit of preventive care not lab work birth control ECT Plus if the ONLY time you had to cover someone was pretty much when they are out cold and literally CANNOT refuse and no other time it would be cheaper.
But not better. Maybe not even cheaper overall as a healthy citizenry is a productive citizenry.

BTW, have you got a living will and a health proxy? Oftentimes, family members feel too guilty to withhold life saving measures.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
LOL ... no, no, no. That is absolutely false. Protocol has been spot on about that.

Simply LIE. Millions will take that approach, just as millions already do today on other matters relating to the federal government.

Why would you want to? Is there a reason we're trying to avoid health insurance that I'm not seeing?

Upvote 0

LostFarmer

what ever
Mar 1, 2012
EARTH
✟61,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So no one is planning to opt out of the system completely without having previous insurance?
I do not currently have insurance , been 20 years without, and will not be buying any. I will also not pay the tax penalty against my religious views, will select jail instead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do not currently have insurance , been 20 years without, and will not be buying any. I will also not pay the tax penalty against my religious views, will select jail instead.

:confused: How are taxes against your religion?

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Render unto who?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Do you normally get a tax refund? They'll just deduct it from that. If you owe, they'll tack it in. Keep not paying and you'll get penalties and interest. Go long enough you may get a garnishment if you work. Unless you rack up thousands in taxes unpaid, penalties and interest, then you just get nasty letters. Eventually, you'll either pay or go to court and/or get property confiscated.

Even if you go to jail, you still owe the taxes. So, don't forget to post.^_^

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
But not better. Maybe not even cheaper overall as a healthy citizenry is a productive citizenry.

BTW, have you got a living will and a health proxy? Oftentimes, family members feel too guilty to withhold life saving measures.
Not yet I need to however I have made my wishes BEYOND clear to my family and quite frankly IF I am still of sound mind they could do nothing anyway because I would be fully aware of what I was doing and the results of that action even if it was death. How would it NOT be cheaper?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not yet I need to however I have made my wishes BEYOND clear to my family and quite frankly IF I am still of sound mind they could do nothing anyway because I would be fully aware of what I was doing and the results of that action even if it was death. How would it NOT be cheaper?
If you were unconscious; family members have been know to declare, "She didn't really mean that" Of course, you know your own family and what they are likely to do.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you were unconscious; family members have been know to declare, "She didn't really mean that" Of course, you know your own family and what they are likely to do.
As many times as I have said it they KNOW they would be lying to themselves. Plus my conditions really have nothing to with that the conditions I have chosen are conditions under which in order for the person to know they have them they HAVE to be of sound mind at one point because it is not something of which you die over night usually LATE stage cancer and a liver transplant/ The only other situation under which I would refuse help is life support with no hope of getting off; which quite frankly MOST families understand that and MOST people would want that so that would not likely be an issue with many families anyway.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why are costs going up?

Premiums will likely rise for younger and healthier insurance buyers. Because the carriers can't refuse to cover older, sicker persons. (ACA does allow some adjustment for age and smoking. But there is a cap on what higher risk customers can be charged.) That's how it should have been all along. Premiums should always have been based on "community rating." Which is the shared risk of all persons in the area. Health insurers should never have been allowed to cherry pick their policyholders. Some states require community rating already. Expanding this nationwide (at least for the individual and small group markets) is one of the better features of ACA.

Upvote 0

MrLuther

In the Lord I'll be ever thankful
Oct 2, 2013
✟16,115.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Expanding this nationwide (at least for the individual and small group markets) is one of the better features of ACA.

It's about the only good thing there is about it.
The concept of the government forcing you to buy a specific product is offensive.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Premiums will likely rise for younger and healthier insurance buyers. Because the carriers can't refuse to cover older, sicker persons. (ACA does allow some adjustment for age and smoking. But there is a cap on what higher risk customers can be charged.) That's how it should have been all along. Premiums should always have been based on "community rating." Which is the shared risk of all persons in the area. Health insurers should never have been allowed to cherry pick their policyholders. Some states require community rating already. Expanding this nationwide (at least for the individual and small group markets) is one of the better features of ACA.
Why should they not be able to cherry pick. You are sicker you cost more it is SIMPLE. It should and did work like any other BUSINESS.

Upvote 0