New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I do not currently have insurance , been 20 years without, and will not be buying any. I will also not pay the tax penalty against my religious views, will select jail instead.

Good news, they won't jail you. They only withhold the amount from your tax returns. You should claim as many exemptions as you can to avoid losing as much as possible.

No health insurance is extremely risky, you are rolling dice that are stacked against you and getting worse every year.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who can't afford it? With the subsidies you have to be literally broke. Healthcare should be a priority.
Not in states like Texas which declined to extend Medicaid. The working poor really got a raw deal there.

Upvote 0

LostFarmer

what ever
Mar 1, 2012
EARTH
✟61,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good news, they won't jail you. They only withhold the amount from your tax returns. You should claim as many exemptions as you can to avoid losing as much as possible.

No health insurance is extremely risky, you are rolling dice that are stacked against you and getting worse every year.
I am self employed 'farmer' , will pay all the other taxes as required under law.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who can't afford it? With the subsidies you have to be literally broke. Healthcare should be a priority.

I've spoken to a few people who can't. They're in the upper working class limbo. Here's an example. One of my friends works for a company that provides insurance, but because it's a smaller company the insurance premium is about $700/month for a family plan with a $9,000 deductible and no dental coverage. He makes around $16/hour, so $700/month is just not an amount he can afford to hand over every month. So up until this point, he has simply opted out of coverage when open enrollment came around and prayed for the best. It's not a fun position to be in, but it's one many in the working class find themselves in, even when their employer offers an insurance package.

Because his employer at least offers insurance coverage, he doesn't qualify for the subsidies. He has looked at the exchanges, but hasn't found anything that comes out better than what his employer already offers.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟371,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why should they not be able to cherry pick. You are sicker you cost more it is SIMPLE. It should and did work like any other BUSINESS.

You can think what you like, but that's not in the public interest. An insurance company's profit margin is less important than sick people being able to afford health coverage. I'm a UnitedHealth Group stockholder, but I'm coming to the opinion that for-profit health insurance is like DDT manufacturing-an obsolete business that does more harm than good.

Reactions: A2SG
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟94,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would have no problem with it if that was the ONLY thing it covered not birth control not preventive care NOTHING but emergency treatment just like they do now but people would be covered with insurance HOWEVER preventive care and everything else no just to enough to get the person stable that is what conservatives were going to do not cover everything or emergency care and MAYBE a LITTLE bit of preventive care not lab work birth control ECT Plus if the ONLY time you had to cover someone was pretty much when they are out cold and literally CANNOT refuse and no other time it would be cheaper.

Preventative care is cheaper than ER care and, when used effectively, drastically reduces the potential need for ER visits.

For those interested in bringing down the cost of health care, y'know the whole fiscal responsibility thing, then encouraging preventative care (if not outright mandating it) is the way to go.

-- A2SG, don't take my word for it, ask any doctor....

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟94,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I do not currently have insurance , been 20 years without, and will not be buying any. I will also not pay the tax penalty against my religious views, will select jail instead.

Ah, so you've decided to be a burden on society when you do eventually need emergency medical care.

Gotcha.

-- A2SG, to each his own, i guess....

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
They will get their money. No difference then not paying any other tax. They will use all the power of the IRS. Garnish wages, lock bank accounts, seize property. Unless you are in one of the legally religious exempted groups, there is no option but to pay.

Because there are many people who still cannot afford it.
And still must pay the penalty, even though they can't afford the insurance. Obamacare projected website said I would pay $200 more a month, with $250 higher deductable, after my subsidy. Great insurance.

I am self employed 'farmer' , will pay all the other taxes as required under law.
All taxes are required by law. As I said above, the IRS will get their money.
Only option get thou to a nunery or a minonite church, learn to farm the old way or pay the fine.
And remember how great Obama is.

Obamacare, the wealth redistrobution law. Anyone that gets healthcare cheaper looks at those that complain about it costing more as being the rich.
Obamacare; providing insurance at a greater cost overall then the original system ever did. Showing once again, when the goverment gets involved, it will cost more in the end. (looking at the original cost to the payers(employer and employee) compared to the unsubsidized cost to the buyer.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

So, you are not paying taxes on your income? If so, not the brightest move.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟94,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Obamacare, the wealth redistrobution law. Anyone that gets healthcare cheaper looks at those that complain about it costing more as being the rich.
Obamacare; providing insurance at a greater cost overall then the original system ever did. Showing once again, when the goverment gets involved, it will cost more in the end. (looking at the original cost to the payers(employer and employee) compared to the unsubsidized cost to the buyer.)

First of all, the government doesn't set your insurance premiums, your insurance company does. If you have a problem with that, take it up with your insurance company.

The insurance industry doesn't like Obamacare, because it regulates them into doing things they don't want to do, like keeping people covered whose health care costs exceed their profit margin and denying people coverage for any "pre-existing condition" they can make up. Of course, to offset these additional expenses, Obamacare mandates everyone get insurance, which increases the number of people insurers have to insure...but to that, insurance companies say....Hey, Death panels!

Thing is, insurance rakes in billions of dollars a year in profits...and Obamacare threatens to cut into that. So they're raising your rates, and blaming Obama for it.

And people all over are falling for it.

Don't.

-- A2SG, the tea party has become to the insurance industry what the NRA is to gun manufacturers: a heat shield....

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Preventative care is cheaper than ER care and, when used effectively, drastically reduces the potential need for ER visits.

For those interested in bringing down the cost of health care, y'know the whole fiscal responsibility thing, then encouraging preventative care (if not outright mandating it) is the way to go.

-- A2SG, don't take my word for it, ask any doctor....
You cannot mandate preventive care. It is CRAZY to FORCE people to go to the doctor.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
First of all, the government doesn't set your insurance premiums, your insurance company does. If you have a problem with that, take it up with your insurance company.

The insurance industry doesn't like Obamacare, because it regulates them into doing things they don't want to do, like keeping people covered whose health care costs exceed their profit margin and denying people coverage for any "pre-existing condition" they can make up. Of course, to offset these additional expenses, Obamacare mandates everyone get insurance, which increases the number of people insurers have to insure...but to that, insurance companies say....Hey, Death panels!

Thing is, insurance rakes in billions of dollars a year in profits...and Obamacare threatens to cut into that. So they're raising your rates, and blaming Obama for it.

And people all over are falling for it.

Don't.

-- A2SG, the tea party has become to the insurance industry what the NRA is to gun manufacturers: a heat shield....

Firstly, insurance loves Obamacare, everyone must buy or pay fine-taxes, no matter what the cost. Later they know Obama will sap them with all kinds of increased coverage with no increase or little premium increase to cover the new benefits.

The government mandates the coverage that affects the cost. You can't cover more then ever before, and expect premiums to go down. Also the insurance companies aren't covering the exempted people free, they are passing the cost over everyone, again increases, not cost savings.

If premiums go down, then its probably because of the subsidies.
ie Government steps in to protect the poor from high cost of insurance and raises the cost to everyone and pays the difference to those low earners.

Insurance will be profitable until Obama takes the profit out of insurance, as Obamacare was meant to do. Then they will stop offering conventional coverage and will become Cadillac care only. Leaving the general public without options, and the liberals will ride in on their demon horse and layout single payer, government run healthcare.

Power to the government, Hail Obama! Hail Obama!

They won't even bat an eye at the cost of this change, because they're helping the people, protecting them from the evil insurance companies with the safety of the federal government. You know the ones that bankrupted SSI, Medicaid, most goverment retirement benefits, etc.
I'm sure they'll get it right eventually.

600million to a firm that failed to ensure a workable website system isn't a sign of failures to come, no...no way.
Trust the government, sip your kool-aid, government is good, trust them, they will help you.

Liberal ideals=Equal misery not equal prosperity.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Firstly, insurance loves Obamacare, everyone must buy or pay fine-taxes, no matter what the cost. Later they know Obama will sap them with all kinds of increased coverage with no increase or little premium increase to cover the new benefits.

In a nutshell, the only part of Obamacare that insurance companies hate is the cap on "overhead", meaning that a company must spend at least 80-85% of premiums on actual medical care. All the exchanges are run by private insurance companies. ObamaCare is simply insurance reform.

Upvote 0

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟13,109.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The insurance industry doesn't like Obamacare, because it regulates them into doing things they don't want to do
They should probably be thanking Obama. At least they are still around raking in the billions. If Obama stayed true to his supposedly liberal principles and supported a single payer system they would be in trouble. Instead he offered us a Republican band aid plan that keeps the private system going for a few more decades. I think the insurance companies knew people were getting upset at the fact that America is lagging behind the rest of the first world in universal health coverage so they had to accept a few minor pains to keep the private system afloat a while longer. Either that or Americans might demand actual single payer. Now that so much battle and political capital has been spent over this no one will touch healthcare again for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: A2SG
Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
They should probably be thanking Obama. At least they are still around raking in the billions. If Obama stayed true to his supposedly liberal principles and supported a single payer system they would be in trouble. Instead he offered us a Republican band aid plan that keeps the private system going for a few more decades. I think the insurance companies knew people were getting upset at the fact that America is lagging behind the rest of the first world in universal health coverage so they had to accept a few minor pains to keep the private system afloat a while longer. Either that or Americans might demand actual single payer. Now that so much battle and political capital has been spent over this no one will touch healthcare again for a long time.

How well would that go? :doh:

They can't even make a website work.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟94,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You cannot mandate preventive care. It is CRAZY to FORCE people to go to the doctor.

Of course. But if you make it very cheap, if not entirely free, to visit a doctor for preventative care and encourage it as much as possible, eventually, you will have most people getting the preventative care they need and should have....and overall health care costs will go down dramatically.

This is why a single payer plan is the most cost effective AND the best way to guarantee access to health care to more people.

Private for-profit health insurance is the least cost effective and the worst way to guarantee access to health care, so....

-- A2SG, but it's the one Obamacare went with....

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟94,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Sure, they love the individual mandate, which is why they worked with the Heritage Foundation in the 1990s to get it in the GOP health care plan. The problem is the additional regulations that the ACA added to the mix. Those, they hate, and they're the main reason they're paying their lobbyists to demonize Obamacare.

The government mandates the coverage that affects the cost. You can't cover more then ever before, and expect premiums to go down. Also the insurance companies aren't covering the exempted people free, they are passing the cost over everyone, again increases, not cost savings.

If premiums go down, then its probably because of the subsidies.
ie Government steps in to protect the poor from high cost of insurance and raises the cost to everyone and pays the difference to those low earners.

Insurance will be profitable until Obama takes the profit out of insurance, as Obamacare was meant to do. Then they will stop offering conventional coverage and will become Cadillac care only. Leaving the general public without options, and the liberals will ride in on their demon horse and layout single payer, government run healthcare.

It's cost effective, and guarantees near universal access to health care. What's wrong with that?

As to the 'government run' part, I fully support nothing less than a constitutional amendment stating that all medical decisions remain between doctor and patient with no government interference whatsoever. But I guarantee you, the GOP and conservatives will absolutely hate that idea and will fight against it tooth and nail, with a fervor that wil make the "anti-obamacare" faction seem tame by comparison!

Power to the government,

Since the government is we, the people, you're actually saying "Power to the People!" I can't disagree with that....

Hail Obama! Hail Obama!

To each his own, I guess. I'm a liberal, so I have many problems with President Obama and his centrist, right-leaning policies.

They won't even bat an eye at the cost of this change, because they're helping the people, protecting them from the evil insurance companies with the safety of the federal government. You know the ones that bankrupted SSI, Medicaid, most goverment retirement benefits, etc.
I'm sure they'll get it right eventually.

600million to a firm that failed to ensure a workable website system isn't a sign of failures to come, no...no way.
Trust the government, sip your kool-aid, government is good, trust them, they will help you.

Liberal ideals=Equal misery not equal prosperity.

Boy, you really don't understand us liberals!

Hey, if you want to understand us better, feel free to ask me whatever you want, I"ll do my best to help you understand!

-- A2SG, at least I'll do what i can....

Upvote 0