Examples of Modern Apostles and Prophets?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm looking for examples of genuine, authentic modern apostles and prophets. It could be anyone from the last few centuries, but it would be even better if they are alive today.

What would be a list of, say, the top 5 people who you are highly confident are (or were) authentic modern apostles? Same question for modern prophets.

Another related question: what criteria should we use to discern the authenticity of an apostle and a prophet?

2 Corinthians 12:12 says the following about true apostles:

12 The signs of a true apostle were performed among you with utmost patience, with signs and wonders and mighty works.

What about true prophets?

EDIT: mirror thread in the Controversial Christian Theology section: Modern Apostles and Prophets? (go there if you are skeptical, remember this is the Spirit-filled / Charismatic section)

Last edited:

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
what criteria should we use to discern the authenticity of an apostle and a prophet

This is a good question. Regarding apostles, don't we have a fairly good sense of what constitutes an apostle? It seems all those who had that title in the scriptures were sent by the risen Lord who specifically appeared to them and sent them. This was the case, as far as I can tell, for every single person in the scriptures who were called an "apostle," i.e., one who is sent. Are there people today to whom the risen Lord has appeared and then sent?

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think there are many apostles but prophets are fewer. People who speak truth to power. Martin Luther King comes to mind.

And how do we know that Martin Luther King was an authentic apostle (or a prophet do you mean)? What criteria are you using to make that judgement? What is the biblical basis for said criteria?

Upvote 0

Bramblewild

Apr 16, 2019
Kentucky
✟47,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are no apostles today. True, some people call themselves apostles, but they aren't.

Prophets could still be possible, but they are precious few. Almost none of the people who today call themselves prophets are real prophets.

One of the criteria for apostles is that they had to have seen Jesus. In the case of Paul, he had a vision of Jesus. Although some people claim to have had visions of Jesus, most often when you look at what they teach those claims become very questionable.

There are two criteria for prophets: what they prophesy comes true, and they lead people to worship the true God. Even prophetic leaders have had to admit modern prophets are not even close to being always accurate, and far too many of them teach very unbiblical things.

Let me give you some resources you may look into:

Wanderings Stars
A New Apostolic Reformation?
Christianity in Crisis

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are no apostles today. True, some people call themselves apostles, but they aren't.

Prophets could still be possible, but they are precious few. Almost none of the people who today call themselves prophets are real prophets.

One of the criteria for apostles is that they had to have seen Jesus. In the case of Paul, he had a vision of Jesus. Although some people claim to have had visions of Jesus, most often when you look at what they teach those claims become very questionable.

There are two criteria for prophets: what they prophesy comes true, and they lead people to worship the true God. Even prophetic leaders have had to admit modern prophets are not even close to being always accurate, and far too many of them teach very unbiblical things.

Let me give you some resources you may look into:

Wanderings Stars
A New Apostolic Reformation?
Christianity in Crisis
You are assuming that when Paul listed his credentials that he was listing exclusive requirements, but the text doesn't indicate that. My credentials as an electronics tech aren't the same as someone else's. Does that mean that one of us isn't an electronics tech?

When I worked for a parcel company, I had worked on their desktop support team, then on a different contract as a scanner software support agent, then I had a 3rd position supporting their tracking/routing software. Because I was the only one who had done both of the other jobs, does that mean that my coworkers supporting the tracking/routing software were illegitimate?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 Cor 12:27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. 28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.

Of course there are still Apostles in the Church today. If one office has ceased then all the offices have ceased. God has not withdrawn His gifts from the church.

Notice also that the twelve were called Apostles only when being sent by Christ and disciples when they were with Him. Apostle is from the Greek Apostolos - meaning sent one. In today's modern language we call them missionaries. They are noted for founding churches and operating in the power gifts.

There were no lone Apostles, they were always sent and commissioned by the church. It should be the same today. IMHO

I personally know one who has founded over 11,000 churches and has hundreds of
thousands of testimonies of Salvation and miracles.

BTW - he has never called himself an Apostle - it is self evident in his life and ministry.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There were no lone Apostles, they were always sent and commissioned by the church. It should be the same today. IMHO

What about Acts 13:2?

While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”

Or Acts 9:15-16?

15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel. 16 For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name.”

I personally know one who has founded over 11,000 churches and has hundreds of
thousands of testimonies of Salvation and miracles.

BTW - he has never called himself an Apostle - it is self evident in his life and ministry.

That's impressive. May I know who he is?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”
Acts 13: 1-4 RSVCE
1 Now in the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers, Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Mana-en a member of the court of Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. 2 While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." 3 Then after fasting and praying they laid their hands on them and sent them off. 4 So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia; and from there they sailed to Cyprus.

Paul and Barnabas WERE commissioned by the Church with they laying on of hands. They were sent out by the Holy Spirit, sent out by the Church, not just getting some idea that they should go on a journey. So this is very much a Holy Spirit thing and also very much a commissioning by the Church. The two SHOULD work in concert, not in opposition, but of course that requires prayer and even fasting.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Acts 13: 1-4 RSVCE
1 Now in the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers, Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Mana-en a member of the court of Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. 2 While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." 3 Then after fasting and praying they laid their hands on them and sent them off. 4 So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia; and from there they sailed to Cyprus.

Paul and Barnabas WERE commissioned by the Church with they laying on of hands. They were sent out by the Holy Spirit, sent out by the Church, not just getting some idea that they should go on a journey. So this is very much a Holy Spirit thing and also very much a commissioning by the Church. The two SHOULD work in concert, not in opposition, but of course that requires prayer and even fasting.

Sure, but the original calling came from the Holy Spirit. Verse 3 is simply their obeying what the Holy Spirit commanded in the first place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Says who?
You cannot cherry pick from the list of God's ministries.
Seeing Jesus is not a requirement for apostles, it's just more religious twaddle.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Sure, but the original calling came from the Holy Spirit.
Sure.
Verse 3 is simply their obeying what the Holy Spirit commanded in the first place.
Verse 3 is there in the same way Acts 15:28 says "For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what is strangled and from unchastity. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell."

It's not nothing that the Church makes decisions, commissions people, and makes rules. It's a case of 'both and' instead of 'either or'. The Church has the authority to make these calls, and the Holy Spirit provides the call in the first place. Otherwise it's just some folks thinking they have been called and trying to persuade us they were called. This way the call is confirmed by already confirmed leadership in the community. The Spirit moves, but moves within the Church.

Hislegacy is correct about being sent and commissioned by the Church. Jesus sent and commissioned his initial apostles. They commissioned others, and they commissioned Paul and Barnabas. It should be that way today too. Not discounting the Holy Spirit one iota. But it is the Holy Spirit AND the Church.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But it is the Holy Spirit AND the Church.

I would more precisely say that it is the Holy Spirit THROUGH the Church. The Holy Spirit should have the last say in everything. The best example of this in my opinion is Acts 16:6-10:

6 And they went through the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia. 7 And when they had come up to Mysia, they attempted to go into Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus did not allow them. 8 So, passing by Mysia, they went down to Troas. 9 And a vision appeared to Paul in the night: a man of Macedonia was standing there, urging him and saying, “Come over to Macedonia and help us.” 10 And when Paul had seen the vision, immediately we sought to go on into Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I would more precisely say that it is the Holy Spirit THROUGH the Church. The Holy Spirit should have the last say in everything.
I'm not trying to be difficult. Holy Spirit AND the Church or Holy Spirit THROUGH the Church. Pretty similar to my mind, although yours expresses a better relation. Point is the Church in Acts worked with the Spirit. As was proper. The Spirit and the Church are not supposed to be opposed.

• Agree
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
By the biblical example?

I know of only 1 apostle, but with prophets, according to the biblical example that we would find in the OT, I haven't seen or read of any modern day types. A whole heap of people nowadays claiming the title, but they really don't align with what we should be seeing in one.

Most of your big names mentioned in Pentecostal circles, such as Smith Wigglesworth, Charles finney, Maria Woodsworth Etter, were all examples of an evangelist. Everything they did aligned perfectly with what an evangelist would be doing, but none of them were actual prophets.

I don't know,.. I think GOD will have to provide us one so that we can actually know what one should be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know of only 1 apostle,

Are you allowed to share his/her name?

but with prophets, according to the biblical example that we would find in the OT, I haven't seen or read of any modern day types. A whole heap of people nowadays claiming the title, but they really don't align with what we should be seeing in one.

Most of your big names mentioned in Pentecostal circles, such as Smith Wigglesworth, Charles finney, Maria Woodsworth Etter, were all examples of an evangelist. Everything they did aligned perfectly with what an evangelist would be doing, but none of them were actual prophets.

I don't know,.. I think GOD will have to provide us one so that we can actually know what one should be.

What should an authenticate prophet look like? What are essential attributes of an authentic prophet?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes please, let's look at those verses:

Remembering I am saying that the church commissioned the Apostles:

Acts 13:1 Now in the church that was at Antioch there were certain prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. 2 As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, “Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” 3 Then, having fasted and prayed, and laid hands on them, they sent them away.
That is the perfect example of what I am speaking of. The church leadership fasting and ministering unto the Lord heard from God - commissioned those Apostles - laid hands on them and sent them.

That is EXACTLY the same in the church today.

Your other references have to do with them being led which was subsequent to the crutch commissioning them.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Are you allowed to share his/her name?

I've mentioned him before, Lester Sumrall. He did a lot of church planting and traveling over in Asia, the Philippines in particular. Later in his years GOD moved him into teaching and broadcasting over TV and such.

What should an authenticate prophet look like? What are essential attributes of an authentic prophet?

We talked about this already some, and most people on here don't like my ideas towards raising the standard.

Currently every person claiming to be a prophet in the body of Christ does only two things, claim to make predictions of the future and write books to sell. Obviously I don't think a single one of them actually paid the price in prayer and went through the trials associated with the title, and the only person I see through them is them, not GOD.

There's a healthy amount of information in the OT on how GOD uses prophets in various ways, but for some reason, everyone we see nowadays is put into the "just predictions about the future" mold. I'm waiting for GOD to bring an actual prophet on the scene so we can all know the difference.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've mentioned him before, Lester Sumrall. He did a lot of church planting and traveling over in Asia, the Philippines in particular. Later in his years GOD moved him into teaching and broadcasting over TV and such.

Absolutely yes.

Reinhard Bonke also

Today I believe Mark Bowling is an avid picture of an Apostle - over 11,000 church plants and crusades that result in tens of thousands of Salvations and miracles.

• Informative
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0