Examples of Modern Apostles and Prophets?

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Jonah was a false prophet, by OT standards.

I think I may have said, "Noah" on a previous thread, intending to say, "Jonah."
He was a poorly motivated prophet. He actually wanted the people of Nineveh to die. Which was why he didn't want to tell them what God wanted told. So he fled. But got spit out on shore so he could try again. "Nineveh shall be destroyed." But they repented and Nineveh was not destroyed.

A prophet who says "Thus says the Lord" had better be saying what the Lord said. I wouldn't DARE say that myself for fear of being smitten on the spot. But if a prophet says "If A then B." there is no lie if ~A. Because then ~B.

Prophecy is only seldom about predicting B. Most of it is in the form of an exhortation. Maybe sometimes a preparation.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
By the biblical example?

I know of only 1 apostle, but with prophets, according to the biblical example that we would find in the OT, I haven't seen or read of any modern day types. A whole heap of people nowadays claiming the title, but they really don't align with what we should be seeing in one.

Most of your big names mentioned in Pentecostal circles, such as Smith Wigglesworth, Charles finney, Maria Woodsworth Etter, were all examples of an evangelist. Everything they did aligned perfectly with what an evangelist would be doing, but none of them were actual prophets.

I don't know,.. I think GOD will have to provide us one so that we can actually know what one should be.
I end up saying there is an apostolic function within the Church and a prophetic function within the Church. People within the Church may function as prophets on occasion or even frequently but that isn't a job title for them. Within my own tradition there are priests and bishops and popes who sometimes are prophetic. One example of a prophetic pope was Paul VI, and the prophecy was contained in his encyclical Humanae Vitae in 1968. He was a bit of a Jonah but he came out against artificial contraception. I consider this a truth-telling at an unpopular moment, but he also listed what would happen if this teaching was ignored. It was ignored and what he foretold happened. I would not say pope Paul VI was a full time prophet, but he did fulfill the function at least once. So we don't have an office of prophet but we do have prophets nonetheless as the prophetic function continues and shows itself from time to time.

• Informative
Reactions: Joan Lamb
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I end up saying there is an apostolic function within the Church and a prophetic function within the Church. People within the Church may function as prophets on occasion or even frequently but that isn't a job title for them. Within my own tradition there are priests and bishops and popes who sometimes are prophetic. One example of a prophetic pope was Paul VI, and the prophecy was contained in his encyclical Humanae Vitae in 1968. He was a bit of a Jonah but he came out against artificial contraception. I consider this a truth-telling at an unpopular moment, but he also listed what would happen if this teaching was ignored. It was ignored and what he foretold happened. I would not say pope Paul VI was a full time prophet, but he did fulfill the function at least once. So we don't have an office of prophet but we do have prophets nonetheless as the prophetic function continues and shows itself from time to time.

Sorry but, totally disagree. We must go by scripture.

Each office is separate, and the only one that can move amongst the others is an Apostle,.. and that is only for church establishment. All the rest reside within their limitations.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Sorry but, totally disagree.
OK. You totally disagree with everything I said. I've heard that before.
We must go by scripture.
And not by someone's interpretation of Scripture.
Each office is separate, and the only one that can move amongst the others is an Apostle,.. and that is only for church establishment. All the rest reside within their limitations.
So where are the modern prophets? Or are there any? I listed a person who has exercised a prophetic role in our lifetimes. But then you totally disagree with that too. Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Chapter and verse showing that specifically please.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
OK. You totally disagree with everything I said. I've heard that before.

And not by someone's interpretation of Scripture.

So where are the modern prophets? Or are there any? I listed a person who has exercised a prophetic role in our lifetimes. But then you totally disagree with that too. Thanks for your input.

I was mainly disagreeing with your statement here,...

People within the Church may function as prophets on occasion or even frequently but that isn't a job title for them.

A Christian can operate in the word of wisdom at times somewhat, it's not particular to just prophets, so I wouldn't necessarily disagree with one of the Pope's possibly operating in some of the gifts, but I wouldn't call that person a prophet just because they did maybe once or twice.

I don't personally accept someone calling themselves a prophet if I can't see GOD credentials through them and their office they say they hold.

Their office should have some sort of semblance to what Jesus did as a prophet/Apostle, as well as some of the OT prophets. So no, I don't think we have any modern prophets currently.

• Agree
Reactions: Torah Keeper
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A Christian can operate in the word of wisdom at times somewhat, it's not particular to just prophets, so I wouldn't necessarily disagree with one of the Pope's possibly operating in some of the gifts, but I wouldn't call that person a prophet just because they did maybe once or twice.
He was a pope. That was what he was commissioned to be and what his job was. He was prophetic at least once. I was not claiming that he was a full time prophet. Just that he was in one instance prophetic.
I don't personally accept someone calling themselves a prophet if I can't see GOD credentials through them and their office they say they hold.
Just hanging up a 'prophet' shingle doesn't cut it for me. Sounds like it does not cut it for you either.
Their office should have some sort of semblance to what Jesus did as a prophet/Apostle, as well as some of the OT prophets. So no, I don't think we have any modern prophets currently.
And I think we do have some. Maybe not as many as pretend to be prophets. Maybe not a lot of full time prophets. But I do not think prophecy is a dead issue. That's just me.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
But I do not think prophecy is a dead issue. That's just me.

No I agree. I just think we have a lot of hirelings in this particular field and GOD needs to bring a true prophet on the scene to make corrections.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
No I agree. I just think we have a lot of hirelings in this particular field and GOD needs to bring a true prophet on the scene to make corrections.
Waiting for the return of Elijah, whether that be actual or metaphorical. The times are so messed up I am hoping I do not have to wait too long. In the mean time I do think there are some at least part time but nonetheless real prophets. Intermixed with the Elmer Gantry's.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Go figure it out yourself. I haven't forgot about you.

HUH? Is that a way of saying you do not have scriptural proof for your statement?

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Waiting for the return of Elijah, whether that be actual or metaphorical. The times are so messed up I am hoping I do not have to wait too long. In the mean time I do think there are some at least part time but nonetheless real prophets. Intermixed with the Elmer Gantry's.

It would be quite refreshing to see someone actually moving in the power and strength of GOD instead of these "believe my words" type folks.

I'm sure GOD has some plans to move His body forward here soon as He has in older generations past. I think this time though, some reckoning will be dished out.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

From reading Ezekiel 34 I don't think God is going to send a prophet to correct all the false prophets- he's coming himself. Jesus is coming back soon. God Bless :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It would be quite refreshing to see someone actually moving in the power and strength of GOD instead of these "believe my words" type folks.
I think we see a bit of the real stuff. Not a lot. I am reticent to even post any names beyond the one I did, although maybe later I will give it another shot. Maybe.

Many of the other folks people have suggested here in this thread I have never heard of, or maybe just the name but I know essentially nothing about them. Maybe they are good examples of the prophetic. I just can't say. Nor am I eager to jump to the conclusion that everybody named is a scoundrel. That's way to easy to do. Far too easy as there have been so many bad examples from the past.
I'm sure GOD has some plans to move His body forward here soon as He has in older generations past. I think this time though, some reckoning will be dished out.
I hope so. Both on moving forward and on some reckoning. Soon.

On the eve of the beginning of the last century, on December 31st 1900, pope Leo XIII had requested a novena for Pentecost led by all the Catholic bishops of the world. And what ended up happening on that same day? I think prayer works, often in surprising ways. I think we need a lot more prayer along the same lines that something new might happen now.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0