Mr. QWERTY

Jul 21, 2005
✟8,605.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Uphill Battle said:
she didn't ask for their profession to incorporate it. She asked each individual who believes in evolution what thier take is on a soul.

Sigh. Yes, she asked "evolutionists" their take on the soul, but then went on to ask a variety of questions that simply make no sense, and are not relevant.

I peeked at your profile, and under occupation you have mutual funds.

So, as someone involved in mutual funds, what is your opinion of the soul?

Do mutual fund brokers have souls?
When did mutual fund brokers obtain souls?

Do secretaries at mutual fund firms have souls?
How about accountants?
Day traders?
Do large cap funds have souls?
Medium cap?
Small cap?

Does the S&P 500 have a soul?

Does one share of stock have a soul?
Bonds?
Cash equivalents?

Do you see where I am going here? She asked people with a particular point of view on the world their view on the soul. But then, she goes on to ask questions based upon that viewpoint that make no sense, and are not relevant.

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Mr. QWERTY said:
Sigh. Yes, she asked "evolutionists" their take on the soul, but then went on to ask a variety of questions that simply make no sense, and are not relevant.
alright, guess we are looking at the question differently. I think it could be put like this... do you hold to evolution? yes or no. If so, do you believe in a sould? yes or no. If yes, when does the soul come in to play? That, at least looks like the thrust of the question.
Mr. QWERTY said:
I peeked at your profile, and under occupation you have mutual funds.

So, as someone involved in mutual funds, what is your opinion of the soul?

Do mutual fund brokers have souls?
When did mutual fund brokers obtain souls?

Do secretaries at mutual fund firms have souls?
How about accountants?
Day traders?
Medium cap?
Small cap?

Does one share of stock have a soul?
Bonds?
Cash equivalents?

Do you see where I am going here? She asked people with a particular point of view on the world their view on the soul. But then, she goes on to ask questions based upon that viewpoint that make no sense, and are not relevant.

now if you will permit me some humor, to lighten the mood...

Do mutual fund brokers have souls? I wonder myself.
When did mutual fund brokers obtain souls? Right after they get their CPA.

Do secretaries at mutual fund firms have souls? Yes. More than the advisors.
How about accountants? yes, but they have no life.
Day traders? Definitely not.
Medium cap?
Small cap? Only the ones managed by people from Motown.

Does one share of stock have a soul? no, you have to have 51% ownership to retain the soul.
Bonds?
Cash equivalents? Depends on what the soul is worth in cash.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is no verifiable evidence to support the existence of a "soul." Without evidence there can be no conjecture upon an evolutionary mechanism or what sorts of creatures might have them.

I personally do not believe such a thing exists. However, should I wake up one day after I'm dead I suppose I'll have been proven wrong.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Uphill Battle said:
alright, guess we are looking at the question differently. I think it could be put like this... do you hold to evolution? yes or no. If so, do you believe in a sould? yes or no. If yes, when does the soul come in to play? That, at least looks like the thrust of the question.

What does the first question have to do with the other questions? Why not ask "Do you hold to water based paints or oil based paints"? Evolution does not deal with a soul any more than your choice in paints.

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Loudmouth said:
What does the first question have to do with the other questions? Why not ask "Do you hold to water based paints or oil based paints"? Evolution does not deal with a soul any more than your choice in paints.

That much is true. Evoultion is soulless. ^_^ Don't jump all over it, it's a joke.

It suprises me the reticience to answer a question. The OP wanted to know those who believe in evolution, if they believe in a soul. It isn't that much of a stretch. Or is it that you have some resentment over being singled out?

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Uphill Battle said:
That much is true. Evoultion is soulless. ^_^ Don't jump all over it, it's a joke.

It suprises me the reticience to answer a question. The OP wanted to know those who believe in evolution, if they believe in a soul. It isn't that much of a stretch. Or is it that you have some resentment over being singled out?
I think the OP could have been worded better. It seems to imply that the soul is a given and that evolution must be able to explain it.

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
AirPo said:
I think the OP could have been worded better. It seems to imply that the soul is a given and that evolution must be able to explain it.

I agree with that. That's why I tried to pose it differently.... and there still seems as if it's a question that few want to answer.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Uphill Battle said:

There is resentment. The Wedge document penned by the Discovery Institute states that they want to overthrow materialism in science. Well, guess what? Materialism is not part of science. It is a mischaracterization that is only compounded by questions such as those found in the OP. Whether or not a soul exists is outside of the realm of science, yet organizations such as the Discovery Institute want to blur the line in order to rationalize their witch hunt. Two outspoken supporters of science are Kenneth Miller and Richard Dawkins. They both agree that evolution is fully supported by the evidence yet both have very different views on the existence of the soul. This is the same throughout science, as well as throughout this forum.

Why not just ask if you believe in the existence of the soul?

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Loudmouth said:
There is resentment. The Wedge document penned by the Discovery Institute states that they want to overthrow materialism in science. Well, guess what? Materialism is not part of science. It is a mischaracterization that is only compounded by questions such as those found in the OP. Whether or not a soul exists is outside of the realm of science, yet organizations such as the Discovery Institute want to blur the line in order to rationalize their witch hunt. Two outspoken supporters of science are Kenneth Miller and Richard Dawkins. They both agree that evolution is fully supported by the evidence yet both have very different views on the existence of the soul. This is the same throughout science, as well as throughout this forum.

Because the OPer wanted to know if those who believe in evolution believe in a soul. I'm certain that she already knows how Christians feel about souls, and even TE's (although they would have to explain when they believe the soul came in to being.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Uphill Battle said:
Because the OPer wanted to know if those who believe in evolution believe in a soul. I'm certain that she already knows how Christians feel about souls, and even TE's (although they would have to explain when they believe the soul came in to being.)

So the point of the thread is to contrast what evolutionists believe compared to Christians?

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Loudmouth said:

She did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Loudmouth said:
So the point of the thread is to contrast what evolutionists believe compared to Christians?

I think so. But her OP doesn't include TE's... I tried to expand on that. And I guess you would have to go further and include any theists of any kind. I'm starting to think that this isn't worth my trouble.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Uphill Battle said:
LM:So the point of the thread is to contrast what evolutionists believe compared to Christians?

UB: I think so. But her OP doesn't include TE's... I tried to expand on that. And I guess you would have to go further and include any theists of any kind. I'm starting to think that this isn't worth my trouble.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be crotchity about it. Lately I have begun to chaff at questions meant to cast an acceptance of evolution as an acceptance of atheism. Some people like to see science and materialism as the same thing. I am sick of seeing this. The OP seemed to be going down the same road, trying to show how evolution makes you into an atheist. If I am wrong may I burn in a non-existent hell.;)

To be fair, here are my answers (and a little more). My acceptance of the theory of evolution happened early in life while I was still a christian. I was always interested in science and studied on my own quite a bit. One of the school librarians used to pull books aside that she new I would be interested in. This was when I was still in fifth grade or so. During that time I thought the soul was granted by God while evolution was a tool he used to create our bodies. A good analogy is a pot made by the hands of men used to catch rain, which is a gift from God. Later in life I left christianity and my philosophy in life has changed. I no longer believe in the existence of the soul, but this has nothing to do with my acceptance of evolution. The theory of evolution does not have to explain where the soul comes from any more than it has to describe where leprechauns come from. An acceptance of evolution and a belief in a soul are derived through different approaches, one through science and the other through philosophy.

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Namaste Merlin,

thank you for the post.

Merlin said:
Hello,

I'm not looking for argument, just the thought of evolutionists.
This topic is addressed to evolutionists.

Is there a soul?

no.

At what point does the evolving lifeform have a soul?

never.

What is the evolutionary mechanism of a soul?

without a soul, there is no mechanism to have a soul.

Do chimps have a soul?
Do all mammals have a soul?
Do worms have a soul?
Do bacteria have a soul?
Do algae have a soul?

no.

Does a protein have a soul?

no. even with soul-belief, souls are properties of sentient beings, which protein is not.

How about a carbon atom?

same same, non-sentient.

At what point does 'soul' occur and what is the biological, evolutionary mechanism?

it doesn't.

Thank you for your time!

-Myhrrhleine (AKA Merlin)

metta,

~v

Upvote 0