• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Evolution of the human eye

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by Mr Laurier, Apr 6, 2021 at 7:38 AM.

1. Mr Laurier

Mr Laurier Member

+85
    Canada
    Atheist
    Private
    Two videos in which I talk about the evolution of the human eye
    Both are short.
    This...

And this...

The human eye was inherited from pre-human ancestors, who inherited eyes from their ancestors, and so on. Back to the Cambrian.
    Its a generic primate eye, derived from the standard mammal eye, based on the standard reptile eye, based on the standard amphibian eye, which in turn is a variation on the standard fish eye.
    An updated version of an updated version, of something that works.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli But you can call me Captain

+3,420
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I love our synapsid ancestors. Our eyes came from them, who predated the dinosaurs.

...Whenever I look at my dog, I can't help but notice her synapsid roots.

Hello Grandpa..! :wave:

unnamed-1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 9:32 AM
  3. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+9,772
    Atheist
    Single
    The misconception that the eye had to evolve countless times is an argument used by Ray Comfort. In the interest of facial safety I will not link any of his videos.

4. renniks

renniks Well-Known Member

+2,231
    Christian
    Married
    Common Creator equals common similarities.

5. Estrid

Estrid Well-Known Member

+395
    Hong Kong
    Skeptic
    In Relationship
    Squids got a better design than people.

6. Subduction Zone

+9,772
    Atheist
    Single
    No reason for that if the creator is omnipotent and omniscient. In fact since similarities leads to objects not working optimally your claim is an argument that the crreator is neither omnipotent nor omniscient.

[Edited autocorrect error]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 10:49 AM
  7. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

+41,179
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    It just baffles me as to why any creationist would wonder about the human eye.

Some do though, and I guess that's the bane that comes with embracing evolution.

8. renniks

+2,231
    Christian
    Married
    Hogwash. It just points to a creative being who likes a bit of variety.
    Why would you call the being that gave you life a creep?

9. Subduction Zone

+9,772
    Atheist
    Single
    Sorry, that was my tablet's autocorrect. Let me fix it.

But no, you do not understand biology. The similarities are there because evolution works on "good enough". There are all sorts of examples of bad engineering that would show your version of a creator to not only not be omnipotent and omniscient, but your version of a creator is incompetent too. There are countless examples of "design" that could be improved on. But since evolution works only with what is already in existence and makes minor changes to that we are stuck with clear flaws.

10. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+4,308
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

After two surgeries for cataracts and one for a detached retina I'm pretty sure the Creator wasn't that hot on eye design.

OB

11. AV1611VET

+41,179
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Did it remind you of the Fall? or are you assuming we should still be living in the Garden of Eden right now?

12. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+17,142
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    Actually, it points either way, but evolution has a plausible mechanism and further corroborating evidence.

13. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+4,308
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    Not really. It reminded me of built-in obsolescence.

OB

14. Estrid

Estrid Well-Known Member

+395
    Hong Kong
    Skeptic
    In Relationship
    Letting nature take its course worked out the way it did.
    For example, it made me adorable.

15. AV1611VET

+41,179
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    You might think that for Eli:

1 Samuel 4:15 Now Eli was ninety and eight years old; and his eyes were dim, that he could not see.

But Moses was a different story:

Deuteronomy 34:7 And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated.

16. AV1611VET

+41,179
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    What Occam needs to understand is that God gifted us men to learn ophthalmology, so he can have good vision in his later years.

My eye doctor is a YEC.

17. driewerf

driewerf a day at the Zoo

+1,090
    Atheist
    Married
    Toyota cars and Mercedes cars share many similarities, yet were designed by different teams. Should we not embrace polytheism based on all the similarities we see in the Creation?

18. renniks

+2,231
    Christian
    Married
    You do realize that the creation model has a reason for the flaws, right?

19. renniks

+2,231
    Christian
    Married
    Why would an all-powerful being need help with designing a world that holds a variety of life forms?

20. BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN He’s a Way of life Supporter

+4,567
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Doesn’t it seem odd that if man as we are today has existed for around 300,000 years that he has only advanced in technology in the last 4000 years? Almost no technological advancements for 296,000 years then all the sudden BAM he achieves everything we have today in the last 4000 years? Seems strange to me.