Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I understand some of this but not all. To put it in a nutshell: is evolution a fact, theory, guess, or something else? What I’m trying to get at is this.....paleontologists claim to have found fossils of beings they believe to be links in evolution from ape to man. Is it true or not?

Again, my answer is no, that is not true. Biologists will disagree with me. I guess it's a matter of who you trust. There is no way to definitely prove what is true and what is not.

With that said, evolution is a theory.

A few clarifications:
* Science does not work on a "truth" basis, but on a falsification basis. Whenever a hypothesis is proposed, a good scientist will include criteria for falsification. Once the hypothesis is accepted, it becomes a theory. This means that as long as a scientist adheres to the theory, other scientists will accept his results as valid. However, that can always change if, at some point, a test meets the falsification criteria. If that happens, the theory is falsified and scientists are not supposed to use it anymore.

One of the most famous falsification tests in biology was when Louis Pasteur falsified the idea that life can generate spontaneously. Did you ever watch School House Rock as a kid? How a bill becomes a law? They should have made one about how a hypothesis becomes a theory.

* In science "theory" does not mean a guess. People commonly use the word theory to mean a guess, or a speculation. That is not what it means in science. It is as I indicated above.

* Evolution does not claim humans came from apes. Rather, it claims that all primates have a common ancestor. That common ancestor was not an ape, but some other primate (I forget what they call it).

* Scientists are very careful about making claims. Often what you hear in the news is not what the scientist claimed, but how a reporter interprets that claim. Therefore, technically, biology doesn't claim fossils show a link from earlier primates to man. What they claim is similar morphology.

With that said, I'm sure biologists believe the link exists, and in casual conversation they will be looser with their language.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Again, my answer is no, that is not true. Biologists will disagree with me. I guess it's a matter of who you trust. There is no way to definitely prove what is true and what is not.

So, are you saying that neither side can prove their belief?

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So, are you saying that neither side can prove their belief?

Debating truth is as old as the hills. Even Pilate taunted Jesus with that question. From a human perspective, nothing can be proven as true. Only God can reveal truth. That's not to say there aren't things in which we are very confident. I'm very confident I'm not a giraffe. But as far as "truth" goes - nope - only God.

Upvote 0