Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Let me say I'm a Democrat, I was fine watching the news shows on the circus in the Trump administration. Then I heard this:

Did you take Biology, did you take science which is all based on evolutionary belief and science and evolutionary belief and assumption…(Chris Matthews, Mike Pence, Do You Believe In Evolution? MSNBC)​

This is a discussion on Global Warming and Climate Change. Pence was bending over backwards to try to get the subject back on track and trust me as an Indiana Democrat, I’m no fan, but this one was clearly out of line.

Just listen to the interview, if you can stand it and let me know, was Matthews out of line and way off topic.

Your thoughts...

Grace and peace,
Mark

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,820.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I don't think he's out of line. In the interview, you can hear Pence waxing on about "clean coal" and exploting the USA's natural resources like oil and gas and that the science of climate change is debated, so I think a question about another topic of science denial is okay, and I find it pretty funny to hear Pence trying to not say anything because you just know doesn't want to say something stupid, but doesn't want to alienate the republican voter base at the same time.

It's a grand example of a politician declining to answer a simple yes and no question for several minutes out of tactical reasons.

Upvote 0

naveed

Jun 23, 2007
✟33,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Any info on cars running with clean coal?

yes USA in 2040

coal

12e41152b3c6e70ebdf04fe511ab7e9e--steampunk-mechanic-style-steampunk.jpg

and diesel

37aadaae08fcecbcfde711864fc177e3--cummins-diesel-trucks-dodge-ram-trucks.jpg

7390b2d4f8c0f7e1825d2b804620bc1b--lifted-dodge-dodge-cummins.jpg

Air pollution 'kills 7 million people a year'

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think he's out of line. In the interview, you can hear Pence waxing on about "clean coal" and exploting the USA's natural resources like oil and gas and that the science of climate change is debated, so I think a question about another topic of science denial is okay, and I find it pretty funny to hear Pence trying to not say anything because you just know doesn't want to say something stupid, but doesn't want to alienate the republican voter base at the same time.

It's a grand example of a politician declining to answer a simple yes and no question for several minutes out of tactical reasons.
The subject was climate change, this was a clear equivocation. Pence did answer the question and Matthews hardly let him finish a sentence. He was rude, condescending, viscous and it was just drenched in religious intolerance. I could understand if somehow creationism was on the agenda, someone was trying to put it in a schoolbook or pass some law, maybe if it was in the courts. Creationism hasn't been an issue since Dover and that was in the courts, it's never been an issue for Federal lawmakers.

I would have been fine with it if he had brought up the religious intolerance act he passed in Indiana. The anti-abortion laws, if his boss had said something or if he had brought the subject up ever, even once. Pence answered the question, God made the heavens and the earth and all that is in them and he had no idea how. That's an answer, that also happens to be a religious opinion was was none of Matthew's business.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,820.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The subject was climate change, this was a clear equivocation. Pence did answer the question and Matthews hardly let him finish a sentence. He was rude, condescending, viscous and it was just drenched in religious intolerance. I could understand if somehow creationism was on the agenda, someone was trying to put it in a schoolbook or pass some law, maybe if it was in the courts. Creationism hasn't been an issue since Dover and that was in the courts, it's never been an issue for Federal lawmakers.

I would have been fine with it if he had brought up the religious intolerance act he passed in Indiana. The anti-abortion laws, if his boss had said something or if he had brought the subject up ever, even once. Pence answered the question, God made the heavens and the earth and all that is in them and he had no idea how. That's an answer, that also happens to be a religious opinion was was none of Matthew's business.
I think you missed the name of the show. It's called hardball because the reporter is supposed to ask tough questions that put the interviewed politician in some hot water. I think it was appropriate. If you don't think so, don't watch the show or just ignore that portion if you find the rest okay.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you missed the name of the show. It's called hardball because the reporter is supposed to ask tough questions that put the interviewed politician in some hot water. I think it was appropriate. If you don't think so, don't watch the show or just ignore that portion if you find the rest okay.
I think you missed the point that Pence isn't involved in any public policy regarding creationism. He answered the question and Matthews was arguing in political rhetoric meant to energize his base, that despises the fundamentalist and evangelical communities simply because of what they believe as Christians.

This hasn't been a political issue since the Dover case and it hasn't been an issue for the Federal Congress or the Presidency ever. He is not talking about climate change, he is not talking about clean coal, he is going off into a rant about a religious conviction he clearly equivocates with anyone who doesn't support pumping political power and money into a global warming trend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,820.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think you missed the point that Pence isn't involved in any public policy regarding creationism. He answered the question and Matthews was arguing in political rhetoric meant to energize his base, that despises the fundamentalist and evangelical communities simply because of what they believe as Christians.

This hasn't been a political issue since the Dover case and it hasn't been an issue for the Federal Congress or the Presidency ever. He is not talking about climate change, he is not talking about clean coal, he is going off into a rant about a religious conviction he clearly equivocates with anyone who doesn't support pumping political power and money into a global warming trend.
I think the correlation between climate change scepticism and scepticism in the veracity of the theory of evolution is pretty obvious and has been well reported. It's not this reporter that joined those two issues together, it's the science deniers of the USA who did so.

Why Climate Change Skeptics and Evolution Deniers Joined Forces – Mother Jones

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As someone who burns fossil fuels for a living, it drives me nuts that people don't realize how bad pollution is and that global warming is very real and could present "challenges" to put it mildly.

At least as part of the problem I can help mitigate it a bit.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Let me say I'm a Democrat, I was fine watching the news shows on the circus in the Trump administration. Then I heard this:

Did you take Biology, did you take science which is all based on evolutionary belief and science and evolutionary belief and assumption…(Chris Matthews, Mike Pence, Do You Believe In Evolution? MSNBC)​

This is a discussion on Global Warming and Climate Change. Pence was bending over backwards to try to get the subject back on track and trust me as an Indiana Democrat, I’m no fan, but this one was clearly out of line.

Just listen to the interview, if you can stand it and let me know, was Matthews out of line and way off topic.

Your thoughts...

Grace and peace,
Mark

Matthews pushed him a bit hard, but I don't think it was over the top.

This is my personal opinion; I am always going to be leery, of any politician who holds a powerful office, not being able to acknowledge that evolutionary theory, is well evidenced and has also done a lot to help modern medicine (which it has). Not being able to acknowledge this reality, is scary to me.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Matthews pushed him a bit hard, but I don't think it was over the top.

This is my personal opinion; I am always going to be leery, of any politician who holds a powerful office, not being able to acknowledge that evolutionary theory, is well evidenced and has also done a lot to help modern medicine (which it has). Not being able to acknowledge this reality, is scary to me.
He did answer it more then once. He also said you have to acknowledge the assumptions of science which are the naturalistic assumptions of Darwinism. When this stuff gets political it gets bad. If you want to talk about climate change that is certainly political but religious convictions are none of your business if the other person doesn't want to talk about it. On top of that it's a blatant equivocation of being skeptical of climate change and believing God created life. It was out of line, over the top and just dripped with religious intolerance. They would never have allowed a Muslim being ridiculed for their beliefs on that show.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think the correlation between climate change scepticism and scepticism in the veracity of the theory of evolution is pretty obvious and has been well reported. It's not this reporter that joined those two issues together, it's the science deniers of the USA who did so.

Why Climate Change Skeptics and Evolution Deniers Joined Forces – Mother Jones
Because it's science this and evolution that and it's always mutually exclusive with anything remotely theistic. Then they come and pontificate about the weather claiming they have the solution. But it will cost billions world wide which empowers another generation of liberal politicians, and conservative for that matter, to continue to ridicule religion for political gain. I'm beginning to think this is about a lot more the carbon emissions.

Upvote 0