"Evil is a make-believe concept we've invented to deal with the complexities of fellow humans."

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do know that scripture must be read in light of scripture?
You do know that most people read the scriptures in the light of their own interpretation and understanding, right? Are you any different? Did God reveal to you the meaning or was it your own mind, or the mind of someone else you trusted?

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In Scripture, the anti-christ is someone who appears to be very charismatic and seems to be able to attract people in a civil way toward himself and they are focused against God..... And the list goes on.
Such a good description of the modern USA politics!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just because you quote something from God's Word in English doesn't mean that gives you the full truth, or is the definition of it... "evil" specifically... in Hebrew is not what you think in English..

Isaiah 45:7 in the King James Version reads, “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.” How does Isaiah 45:7 agree with the view that God did not create evil? There are two key facts that need to be considered. (1) The word translated “evil” is from a Hebrew word that means “adversity, affliction, calamity, distress, misery.” Notice how the other major English Bible translations render the word: “disaster” (NIV, HCSB), “calamity” (NKJV, NAS, ESV), and “woe” (NRSV). The Hebrew word can refer to moral evil, and often does have this meaning in the Hebrew Scriptures. However, due to the diversity of possible definitions, it is unwise to assume that “I create evil” in Isaiah 45:7 refers to God bringing moral evil into existence.

(2) The context of Isaiah 45:7 makes it clear that something other than “bringing moral evil into existence” is in mind. The context of Isaiah 45:7 is God rewarding Israel for obedience and punishing Israel for disobedience. God pours out salvation and blessings on those whom He favors. God brings judgment on those who continue to rebel against Him. “Woe to him who quarrels with his Master” (Isaiah 45:9). That is the person to whom God brings “evil” and “disaster.” So, rather than saying that God created “moral evil,” Isaiah 45:7 is presenting a common theme of Scripture – that God brings disaster on those who continue in hard-hearted rebellion against Him.
https://www.gotquestions.org/Isaiah-45-7.html

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Such a good description of the modern USA politics!

If I cared about US politics, I might be offended. But, can't you say that about any country's politicians--they need to be charismatic to gain support, unless they are in dictatorship-type control? And, do you really think "old" US politics were any better? Have you read up on some of the past US presidents, before what you consider "modern times"?

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just because you quote something from God's Word in English doesn't mean that gives you the full truth, or is the definition of it... "evil" specifically... in Hebrew is not what you think in English..

Isaiah 45:7 in the King James Version reads, “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.” How does Isaiah 45:7 agree with the view that God did not create evil? There are two key facts that need to be considered. (1) The word translated “evil” is from a Hebrew word that means “adversity, affliction, calamity, distress, misery.” Notice how the other major English Bible translations render the word: “disaster” (NIV, HCSB), “calamity” (NKJV, NAS, ESV), and “woe” (NRSV). The Hebrew word can refer to moral evil, and often does have this meaning in the Hebrew Scriptures. However, due to the diversity of possible definitions, it is unwise to assume that “I create evil” in Isaiah 45:7 refers to God bringing moral evil into existence.

(2) The context of Isaiah 45:7 makes it clear that something other than “bringing moral evil into existence” is in mind. The context of Isaiah 45:7 is God rewarding Israel for obedience and punishing Israel for disobedience. God pours out salvation and blessings on those whom He favors. God brings judgment on those who continue to rebel against Him. “Woe to him who quarrels with his Master” (Isaiah 45:9). That is the person to whom God brings “evil” and “disaster.” So, rather than saying that God created “moral evil,” Isaiah 45:7 is presenting a common theme of Scripture – that God brings disaster on those who continue in hard-hearted rebellion against Him.
https://www.gotquestions.org/Isaiah-45-7.html

Dr. Jean, I appreciate the word analysis. But, like you said, it could still mean "evil". In the Book of Job, God takes credit for what satan did when he says to satan: "although you moved Me against him to destroy him without cause."

If God is not responsible for what we call evil, then what we call evil happens without Him allowing it. That necessarily means that God would not be Sovereign. If God is not Sovereign, He cannot bring to pass what He promises. And, then we can't stand on promises written in The Bible, because He can't stop evil from interfering with His plan. God and satan just aren't on the same level. In the OT, Job 1 & 2 and the last few chapters where God is speaking to Job about Himself are amazing testimonies to God's Sovereignty. In Job 1 & 2, it seems as though God is mocking satan and even flaunts Job in satan's face. In the New Testament, we are told by Jesus that satan asked "to sift Peter like wheat."

Why did satan have to ask, if God isn't Sovereign (and therefore able to say "no" and/or stop any "evil")?

Upvote 0