Evidences for evolution

Pardon me, but your reasonings are ones which are so outdated & illogical; I mean they are without any scientific merit! Science is Science; but theory is not science until it is proven, Science is science, theory is just that theory, something that is postulated but unproven, e.g. evolution

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
obediah001 said:
Pardon me, but your reasonings are ones which are so outdated & illogical; I mean they are without any scientific merit! Science is Science; but theory is not science until it is proven, Science is science, theory is just that theory, something that is postulated but unproven, e.g. evolution

Theory:A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.

How is evolution not science? Scientific theories cannot be "proven", only supported by the evidence or falsified by it. Evolution is supported by evidence and although there have been many attempts, it has not been falsified.

Your statement is without scientific merit. Gravity is "just a theory". Relativity is "just a theory". Decay theories are "just theories". Each of these is supported by evidence and unfalsified, just like evolution. Does that mean that these are not science? By your "logic" it would apear so.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
obediah001 said:

From the National Academy of Science"
http://bob.nap.edu/html/evolution98/evol1.html

Fact: In science, an observation that has been repeatedly confirmed.

Law: A descriptive generalization about how some aspect of the natural world behaves under stated circumstances.

Hypothesis: A testable statement about the natural world that can be used to build more complex inferences and explanations.

Theory: In science, a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses.

Obadiah, this is one way that creationism is dangerous to science. Because creationism has to try to get rid of a universally accepted theory -- evolution -- but doesn't have the data to do so, it tries to change the very nature of science.

What you describe as "theory" is closer to hypothesis.

Also, science can't "prove". Deductive logic will absolutely falsify, but it won't "prove". When we say "prove" in science, it is shorthand for "we have falsified all the alternative theories we can think of and this is the only theory left standing"

And that is the position of evolution. All forms of creationism have been falsified. So has the idea of genetic engineering by ET. The only theory left standing is descent with modification by natural selection: evolution. The evidence supporting it is so overwhelming that it is perverse not to (provisionally) accept evolution as true.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
sulphur said:
Have you finished reading that bookIsuggested"Abrief history of time"by stephen hawkins We could discuss the idea of multiple universes .maybe you are in another universe to me

How many people actually finish reading that book?

Upvote 0