Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What seems unthinkable to many of us are just "everyday injustices" for others.

My heart is breaking for a family right now. "M" is a mother of four, in her forties, and a breast cancer survivor. Her husband was deported shortly before she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her youngest child is 11.

Last week, she received a call from her sister-in-law that her husband had died of a sudden heart attack in Mexico. Her two youngest children, born in the U.S., had taken a long bus ride there to spend the summer with their dad while she was getting chemo (as a charity patient of a kindly oncologist....) She and her older two children have not seen him for four years, although they talked frequently with him. There is no possibility of attending a funeral.

What makes this even sadder is that this is just "a day in the life of....a typical immigrant family." I'm sure this scenario is played out in many other places.

I am visiting her with my friend (Saint K) today, with a card with $100 enclosed (a drop in the bucket).

She cleans my house every few weeks, but we also adopted her family for Christmas, bought her children school supplies, and things like that...someone needs to prevent people with nowhere to turn from starving.

What are you grateful for today?

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What seems unthinkable to many of us are just "everyday injustices" for others.

My heart is breaking for a family right now. "M" is a mother of four, in her forties, and a breast cancer survivor. Her husband was deported shortly before she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her youngest child is 11.

Last week, she received a call from her sister-in-law that her husband had died of a sudden heart attack in Mexico. Her two youngest children, born in the U.S., had taken a long bus ride there to spend the summer with their dad while she was getting chemo (as a charity patient of a kindly oncologist....) She and her older two children have not seen him for four years, although they talked frequently with him. There is no possibility of attending a funeral.

What makes this even sadder is that this is just "a day in the life of....a typical immigrant family." I'm sure this scenario is played out in many other places.

I am visiting her with my friend (Saint K) today, with a card with $100 enclosed (a drop in the bucket).

She cleans my house every few weeks, but we also adopted her family for Christmas, bought her children school supplies, and things like that...someone needs to prevent people with nowhere to turn from starving.

What are you grateful for today?
Amen, many of us are blessed to the degree that even our worst days are better than others good days.

But by the grace of God go I. :bow:

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We visited her and her teenage daughter. I asked if I could see a picture, and first they showed me one from the phone. I held it to my heart and said a prayer. Then her daughter got two other pictures, one of her dad with a friend, and one just of her dad---with half the picture ripped off.

That picture was heartbreaking...reminding me of how their family was ripped apart. Maybe they wanted to show me a recent picture. Hopefully they have older pictures of happier times.

After we left, someone picked her up. She works with an advocacy program at the hospital that encourages Hispanic women to get mammograms (a grant supports the program.)

God bless them.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When I see what our local churches do to help immigrants, while it seems substantial in some ways, it's not nearly enough.

This is one reason why I think government needs to get involved in making our society a more just society, because only government has the resources and the scope to make a substantial difference--be it healthcare, education, immigration, etc.

I see people all around me doing things to help, but the need is much greater than the resources of churches, even here in the Bible Belt.

I went to my church office this morning to drop something off, and there was a sign (July 20) saying that their human services fund had run out of funds for July, so needy people would have to wait till August 1 to get help.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I went to my church office this morning to drop something off, and there was a sign (July 20) saying that their human services fund had run out of funds for July, so needy people would have to wait till August 1 to get help.
That's a shame isn't it. Maybe these "go fund me" cries for help on the net are out of control and drawing everyone's attention away from basic help like this.

• Prayers
Upvote 0