Ever noticed how in some maps of Pangaea....

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Again, that's topic of discussion that belongs more in a humanities/theology section rather than the Physical & Life Sciences section.
Why?

I see it as a geographical issue; as well as a geometric one.

For example, make an outline of Pangaea on a sheet of paper and have your students find its center.

It doesn't even have to be Pangaea -- just shaped like Pangaea.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,501.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Why?

I see it as a geographical issue; as well as a geometric one.

For example, make an outline of Pangaea on a sheet of paper and have your students find its center.

It doesn't even have to be Pangaea -- just shaped like Pangaea.

Your example would not prove anything.
But you're claim that centre of the world is in Israel is obviously a religious one, since the Christian, Jewish and Islamic faiths hold Jerusalem as being central to their religions.
As oafman pointed out though, the geographic centre of the world is actually in Turkey, 180 kilometres northeast of Ankara. Nowhere near Israel.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your example would not prove anything.
It's not an example ... it's a challenge.

One that could be on a final exam.
Warden_of_the_Storm said:
But you're claim that centre of the world is in Israel is obviously a religious one,
I don't recall claiming the center of the world is in Israel.

I remember ASKING if it was, but I don't recall CLAIMING it was.

In fact, this the first time I've ever heard that Israel is in the center of Pangaea, and I find it intriguing.
since the Christian, Jewish and Islamic faiths hold Jerusalem as being central to their religions.
Then don't call them countries.

Just use the outline of "Pangaea" and call it a "blob" or a "skating rink" or a "city" or whatever, and have students find its center.

Don't segment it into countries, just draw a single line in the shape of "Pangaea" and tell them to find its center.
As oafman pointed out though, the geographic centre of the world is actually in Turkey, 180 kilometres northeast of Ankara. Nowhere near Israel.
That is a continental map of earth.

Earth is broken up and spread out into seven continents, and the center includes the space occupied by the oceans.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
According to the map provided in the OP, it's the Iberian Peninsular, aka Spain and Portugal.
I'll take your word for it.

The map in the OP shows a large body of water between Russia and Canada, as well as what looks like the Great Lakes.

That could throw the center off quite a bit.

I [sorta] like this one:

images

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,501.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
It's not an example ... it's a challenge.

One that could be on a final exam.

You have a strange view on what should be on exam papers.

I don't recall claiming the center of the world is in Israel.

I remember ASKING if it was, but I don't recall CLAIMING it was.

You said: "Perhaps instead of saying Israel is the center of the world, we could say the center of the world is [in] Israel?"
That's a religious claim over anything else.

In fact, this the first time I've ever heard that Israel is in the center of Pangaea, and I find it intriguing.

It's the first time I've heard it too, and I would like to explore it more as a part of geographic science. But since no-one has actually given any science and only gone "Look!", given their religious views as 'evidence' and left it at that, we can't really do much.

Then don't call them countries.
Just use the outline of "Pangaea" and call it a "blob" or a "skating rink" or a "city" or whatever, and have students find its center.
Don't segment it into countries, just draw a single line in the shape of "Pangaea" and tell them to find its center.That is a continental map of earth.

... what? The claim in the OP is that Israel, a modern day country, is the geographic centre of the world. How else is anyone supposed to figure out which country is the geographic centre of the world if the countries aren't listed?

Earth is broken up and spread out into seven continents, and the center includes the space occupied by the oceans.

That may as well be, but, as oafman showed via link, the geographic centre of the world is 180 kilometres northeast of Ankara in Turkey in the modern day, and the map shown in the OP has the Iberian Peninsular/Spain and Portugal as the centre of the world. Not Israel as the OP claims

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
... what? The claim in the OP is that Israel, a modern day country, is the geographic centre of the world. How else is anyone supposed to figure out which country is the geographic centre of the world if the countries aren't listed?
Warden, what is so hard to understand here?

Just draw a single line ... one line ... around this thingamajig called "Pangaea".

Even turn it upside down, so someone won't suspect it's an outline

Then have students or a computer find its center.

Then superimpose the countries on it, after its center has been ascertained.

And voila, you've removed the "religious aspect" of your argument.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,501.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I'll take your word for it.

The map in the OP shows a large body of water between Russia and Canada, as well as what looks like the Great Lakes.

That could throw the center off quite a bit.

Well, of course it would. But the map in the OP still shows that Iberian Peninsular is the centre of the world, not Israel. And the map you gave is a incredibly simplified portrayal of Pangaea, only giving the continents and no countries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That may as well be, but, as oafman showed via link, the geographic centre of the world is 180 kilometres northeast of Ankara in Turkey in the modern day,
Yet again:

Oafman's map is a continental earth ... not a single-landmass earth.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And the map you gave is a incredibly simplified portrayal of Pangaea, only giving the continents and no countries.
And that's still too much information.

It shouldn't even have continents on it.

It should just look like a drop of water or something on a piece of paper.

Then students should be told to find its center.

(Or better yet, have a computer find it.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,501.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Warden, what is so hard to understand here?

Just draw a single line ... one line ... around this thingamajig called "Pangaea".

Even turn it upside down, so someone won't suspect it's an outline

Then have students or a computer find its center.

Then superimpose the countries on it, after its center has been ascertained.

And voila, you've removed the "religious aspect" of your argument.

But that wouldn't work because you'd be using a map of Pangaea under a map of the modern world. Of course you'd have the centre of the world be in the middle of Africa (assuming we're using a British made map).
But if we're sticking to the topic stated in the OP, then it wouldn't be Israel.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But that wouldn't work because you'd be using a map of Pangaea under a map of the modern world. Of course you'd have the centre of the world be in the middle of Africa (assuming we're using a British made map).
But if we're sticking to the topic stated in the OP, then it wouldn't be Israel.
Merry Christmas! :wave:

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,501.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
And that's still too much information.

It shouldn't even have continents on it.

It should just look like a drop of water or something on a piece of paper.

Then students should be told to find its center.

(Or better yet, have a computer find it.)

... you're an odd person. You know that, right?
When we're talking about countries being the centre of the world, as per the topic of the OP, why shouldn't countries be included in the discussion?

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,501.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Merry Christmas! :wave:

Why are you running away? My point is valid: no matter how you look at it from a geographical perspective, the claim in the OP is false: Israel is NOT the centre of the world, either with a map of Pangaea or a map of the modern world.

Upvote 0