Ever noticed how in some maps of Pangaea....

florida2

Sep 18, 2011
✟25,691.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Israel (not the State of Israel) is focus of God's attention, regardless of maps.

Considering that God's throne is "in the sides of the north" and that, "the earth is his footstool", and that, Israel is the "apple (pupil) of his eye", we see God focusing fondly on the middle of the northern hemisphere. As the earth rotates these nations are foremost before him: Britain, Western Europe, Russia, the United States, and Canada; the latter-day Israelite nations.

Note to Australia (and New Zealand): God knows you're down there.

You're welcome. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,850.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Israel (not the State of Israel) is focus of God's attention, regardless of maps.

Considering that God's throne is "in the sides of the north" and that, "the earth is his footstool", and that, Israel is the "apple (pupil) of his eye", we see God focusing fondly on the middle of the northern hemisphere. As the earth rotates these nations are foremost before him: Britain, Western Europe, Russia, the United States, and Canada; the latter-day Israelite nations.

Note to Australia (and New Zealand): God knows you're down there.

You're welcome. :D

Yeah, that's a good religious/theological view on the topic, but it's not a scientific view.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,850.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :sorry:

No, it's all right.
I'm just hoping that someone, anyone, will answer my question as to what this topic has to do with science, when no-one presented any science in the OP.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Protopangea: woah! Must investigate all super-continent shapes. Any animations of geological stages of history?
fb_798332.png

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
They didn't pick GMT because that's where Britain is (GMT is a global standard), they picked it because that's where the center is.
Have you been on the eggnog? If not, I recommend it. Merry Christmas!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Protopangea: woah! Must investigate all super-continent shapes. Any animations of geological stages of history?

Yes, and all they show is how dynamic the Earth is, not some privileged position for Israel.

I've seen better ones out there, but didn't find them quickly in Google.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

wndwalkr99

I'd change my mind
Jun 22, 2013
Nebraska
✟13,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Not really...

On 1360x768 resolution, using iRuler.net and dragging the gif of the ruler, I measured the entire continent of Pangaea in the above graphic as being ~28cm across.

The very easternmost tip of Spain is about 12cm from the left edge of the map, which is well short of the halfway point.

Though, Israel is about 16-17cm which isn't exactly in the center either, but it is closer than Spain.

This is assuming the landmasses are accurate (which we have no way to make that assumption).

Either way, it is still very close.

So you said that Israel is closer to the center than Spain, but not exactly in the center. Which country was ACTUALLY at the center?

Upvote 0

wndwalkr99

I'd change my mind
Jun 22, 2013
Nebraska
✟13,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
True. But that has literally ZERO relevance to the Physical & Life Science fiction, since it's not a life science subject. I don't even know if CF has the correct forum for this topic to be in.
I think there's one about conspiracy theories.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, it's all right.
I'm just hoping that someone, anyone, will answer my question as to what this topic has to do with science, when no-one presented any science in the OP.

My comments were based on the supposition that there is a 'center' of the earth's landmass. Of course this center must be seen from above; from space. Who but God looks down upon the earth from far enough away to determine a 'center'? Science, meet religion. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you look at a standard world map (like the one I posted above), you will notice that the eastern part of the Americas fit right in up against the western parts of Africa and Europe (which is why a lot of people believe in Pangaea).

If you draw the map in the other way, swapping the continents (like your 2nd pic depicts), it just doesn't work that way. You can tell that the Americas and Africa/Europe are shaped to "fit together" like a jigsaw puzzle, and when you draw the map that way, it just fits together naturally.

As for GMT and timezones, well. Here's a question for you. Take the westernmost Timezone of Alaska and the Easternmost Timezone of Russia, and see where the "Center" is, which is precisely where GMT is located.

They didn't pick GMT because that's where Britain is (GMT is a global standard), they picked it because that's where the center is.

HOWEVER...

If you consider the fact that Alaska extends way out away from the North American continent, it really isn't "fair" to allow those two timezones to be such a tiny region, so if you take Alaska off and add it onto Russia (just for purposes of Timezone calculation), you'll come up with a model where you shift GMT to the right 2 places which would place Israel at GMT 0 (doing that, because it balances out the land masses a bit more evenly).

Or, even if you don't... GMT+2 is still very close to the "center" of the world lattitude-wise.
Um, what do you think "GMT" stands for?

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,850.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
My comments were based on the supposition that there is a 'center' of the earth's landmass. Of course this center must be seen from above; from space. Who but God looks down upon the earth from far enough away to determine a 'center'? Science, meet religion. :wave:

No, you did not approach it from, nor give a scientific view point. You only gave a religious viewpoint.
No-one in this thread, who says that Israel is the centre of the world, has given a scientific reason for that view, only a religious view.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,850.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps instead of saying Israel is the center of the world, we could say the center of the world is [in] Israel?

Again, that's topic of discussion that belongs more in a humanities/theology section rather than the Physical & Life Sciences section.

Upvote 0