Ever noticed how in some maps of Pangaea....

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟874,968.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's not quibbling. It's a fact.
Look at this map, and look at the locations of Egypt and it's placement on the African and Asian continent and Turkey and it's placement on the European and Asian 'continents' (obviously, Europe and Asia are the same continent but for the sake of discussion let's say they aren't) and then look at the placement of Israel.
Israel is not on the border of Europe, Asia or Africa. It is not the crossroads in to any country. To get from Europe in to Asia or Africa in to Asia, you have to go through Turkey or Egypt, no choice in the matter, but you can easily bypass Israel.

Okay, fine. I used the term "crossroads" loosely, not in any strict, technical sense. I didn't even know the term was used in the science of geography.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟352,866.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Okay, fine. I used the term "crossroads" loosely, not in any strict, technical sense. I didn't even know the term was used in the science of geography.

But that's the thing: the placement of Israel with regards to cartography has literally nothing to do with geography.
You're desire to say that Israel is the centre of the world is purely relative. As someone has shown, the centre of the world on a map is purely relative to the country that the map was produced in. A British map will have Britain in the centre. A Russian map will have Russia as the centre, and so on and so on.
You have given no single point of evidence apart from your reading of a map that Israel is the centre of the world.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟874,968.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But that's the thing: the placement of Israel with regards to cartography has literally nothing to do with geography.
You're desire to say that Israel is the centre of the world is purely relative. As someone has shown, the centre of the world on a map is purely relative to the country that the map was produced in. A British map will have Britain in the centre. A Russian map will have Russia as the centre, and so on and so on.
You have given no single point of evidence apart from your reading of a map that Israel is the centre of the world.

I did not say Israel is the center of the world, I even began by saying "regardless of maps" to indicate I wasn't relying on cartography, and my point of evidence is the importance of the ideas of the people of Israel in human history.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟352,866.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I did not say Israel is the center of the world, I even began by saying "regardless of maps" to indicate I wasn't relying on cartography, and my point of evidence is the importance of the ideas of the people of Israel in human history.

What does that have to do with geology though?

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟352,866.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
It's true to say that Israel is at the crossroads of 3 religions. Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

True. But that has literally ZERO relevance to the Physical & Life Science fiction, since it's not a life science subject. I don't even know if CF has the correct forum for this topic to be in.

Reactions: Goonie
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,154,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
True. But that has literally ZERO relevance to the Physical & Life Science fiction, since it's not a life science subject. I don't even know if CF has the correct forum for this topic to be in.
Correct, it should be in maybe philosophy, or one of the Christian only forums.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

But we are on the zero degree meridian, so we really are the centre of the world.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Which one's the meridian again? That's the one going from pole to pole, correct?

Correct. Don't tell me that Lisbon is on the Greenwich meridian as well. They don't count (because I say so).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aelred of Rievaulx

Nov 11, 2015
✟12,231.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Note that in a projection like this, the Northern areas are a little skewed, but it is still pretty close.

Seems nothing short of a miracle, that Israel would be the center of the world in both Today's world and in some maps of Pangaea, even as drawn by secular sources.

This is what the earth actually looks like.
real-world-map.JPG

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟874,968.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Aelred of Rievaulx

Nov 11, 2015
✟12,231.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yeah right, that's what earth looks like to Zeus when he has too many Foster's and falls backwards off his throne.
No. That's actually what the earth looks like if you flatten it out. The North Pole is really the South Pole, Africa really is that big, Europe really is that small.

Upvote 0

Aureus

May 20, 2014
✟9,262.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
No. That's actually what the earth looks like if you flatten it out. The North Pole is really the South Pole, Africa really is that big, Europe really is that small.

That is a Gall-Peters projection and while it is an equal area projection, it is not an accurate reflection of the Earth. You can't do an accurate reflection of the Earth on a rectangle. You can't 'flatten it out' and make it work without having something similar to the dymaxion projection I showed earlier... and it still has some issues. The Gall-Peters projection actually causes severe vertical distortion around the equator and severe horizontal distortion around the middle latitudes.

9hYJT5E.png

Upvote 0