Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Well, "radical" started out as a neutal-to-positive term, too, denoting early 19th century liberal reformers campaigning for changes to society at its very root, for example by replacing monarchism and feudalism with parliamentary democracy.

This does not render current usage of the term *wrong*, however, nor is it pejorative to call an extremist just that.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
As noted, my own native language can differentiate between "evangelisch" (= belonging to said protestant tradition going back to Luther and the reformation) and "evangelikal" (=fundamentalists belonging to predominantly US-American sects, promoting such things as YEC, forced births, the patriarchy, homophobia, far-right politics and a general disdain for science and intellectualism).

In short, "evangelisch" is what I think of when I remember the reasonable Lutheranism I grew up with. "Evangelikal" reminds me of the Handmaid's Tale.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
"Evangelist" is not the same as "Evangelical", which is not the same as "literalist".

Evangelist = announcer of the Good News, particularly the authors of the four canonical gospels (or euangelion= good news).

Evangelical = member of a worldwide, transdenominational movement within Protestant Christianity which maintains the belief that the essence of the Gospel consists of the doctrine of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ's atonement; more colloquially and recently: a fundamentalist, but with a nicer-sounding name

literalist = a sub-set of Evangelicalism; fundamentalist believer who claims to take the Bible literally (even though that aspiration is usually proven wrong, as even these radicals have to interpret the text and do so to tweak it in the direction they want).

Good clearance. But it is useless to me so far. I am in the union of all those three domains.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Good clearance. But it is useless to me so far. I am in the union of all those three domains.
Unless you are a time-traveling 1st century Christian who penned a book of the Bible, you'll have a hard time earning the title "Evangelist". (No, doing missionary work and "preaching the gospel" is not the same.)

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Unless you are a time-traveling 1st century Christian who penned a book of the Bible, you'll have a hard time earning the title "Evangelist". (No, doing missionary work and "preaching the gospel" is not the same.)

It is the same NOW.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
That would be the pejorative misuse of the term.
Historically, evangelical used to be used to focus on things like justification by faith. But I think today it is used by most people to include ideas like inerrancy. Would you consider someone who believed "doctrine of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ's atonement" and supported gay marriage and evolution an evangelical? I think it would be unusual to do so.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
fundamentalists belonging to predominantly US-American sects, promoting such things as YEC, forced births, the patriarchy, homophobia, far-right politics and a general disdain for science and intellectualism

That's not an accurate depiction of US Evangelicals -- speaking as an Evangelical who is a scientist.

• Agree
Reactions: WolfGate
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Historically, evangelical used to be used to focus on things like justification by faith. But I think today it is used by most people to include ideas like inerrancy

Inerrancy was one of the "fundamentals" of a century ago. But of course it was also a doctrine held by the Reformers.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Actually, you are incorrect. See Acts of the Apostles 21:8, Ephesians 4:11, and 2 Timothy 4:5.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Inerrancy was one of the "fundamentals" of a century ago. But of course it was also a doctrine held by the Reformers.
Yeah, 500 years ago, when the scientific method didn't exist and even experts and scholars could only assume that the Bible was their best bet.
The situation was profoundly different when the original fundamentalists laid down their principles. They placed themselves in direct opposition to the modern world, establishing themselves as reactionary iconoclasts who want to pluck out the world's eyes to stop it from seeing a planet that's older than 6000 years, where a global flood never took place and species evolved by natural selection instead of being supernaturally created for their ecological niches.

Upvote 0