Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It has come to mean--mainly because of the media--Protestant Christians who are members of other than the mainline Protestant churches (such as the state church of Sweden).

In other words, ''Bible-believing,'' conservative/traditionalist Protestants. Use of the word in this sense is either an insult or a compliment, depending on where the speaker stands. ;)

Yes, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are considered to be the Evangelists, so the use of the word as I have explained it here is derived from that usage in the sense that Evangelical Christians, so-called, are known for taking a more literal approach to Scripture than is true of some other Christians. However, the actual beliefs vary significantly among them.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,452.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
It has come to mean--mainly because of the media--Protestant Christians who are members of other than the mainline Protestant churches (such as the state church of Sweden).

In other words, ''Bible-believing,'' conservative/traditionalist Protestants. Use of the word in this sense is either an insult or a compliment, depending on where the speaker stands. ;)

Yes, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are considered to be the Evangelists, so the use of the word as I have explained it here is derived from that usage in the sense that Evangelical Christians, so-called, are known for taking a more literal approach to Scripture than is true of some other Christians. However, the actual beliefs vary significantly among them.

Like Edwards, Whitefield v Billy Graham?

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. - 2 Timothy 4:5

Evangelize(KJV)

Outline of Biblical Usage

to bring good news, to announce glad tidings
used in the OT of any kind of good news of the joyful tidings of God's kindness, in particular, of the Messianic blessings
in the NT used especially of the glad tidings of the coming kingdom of God, and of the salvation to be obtained in it through Christ, and of what relates to this salvation
glad tidings are brought to one, one has glad tidings proclaimed to him
to proclaim glad tidings
instruct (men) concerning the things that pertain to Christian salvation

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,452.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

Well the state Church of Sweden is now free from the state.

All other groups are called "Free Churches"

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Well the state Church of Sweden is now free from the state.

All other groups are called "Free Churches"
Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols. - Revelation 2:20

I believe the Spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate and state control can be a bad thing.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,452.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. - 2 Timothy 4:5

Evangelize(KJV)

Outline of Biblical Usage

to bring good news, to announce glad tidings
used in the OT of any kind of good news of the joyful tidings of God's kindness, in particular, of the Messianic blessings
in the NT used especially of the glad tidings of the coming kingdom of God, and of the salvation to be obtained in it through Christ, and of what relates to this salvation
glad tidings are brought to one, one has glad tidings proclaimed to him
to proclaim glad tidings
instruct (men) concerning the things that pertain to Christian salvation

Is that not an explanation of evangilium.

What I don,t get is "Evangelicals" seemed to get bashed often.

Like Albion was talking about.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
What does it mean?

Because I do not have a clue.

Thought it had to do with Matt, Mark, Luke and John.
Of the three-legged stool of Scripture, Reason and Tradition, Evangelical represents scripture; reason is liberal and tradition is catholic.

I am an Evangelical Anglican, and for me, a sermon will expound on a piece of scripture. This means describing what it says, what it meant in the biblical context and what it means for us in our lives. Our teaching is all bible based.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,452.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Of the three-legged stool of Scripture, Reason and Tradition, Evangelical represents scripture; reason is liberal and tradition is catholic.

I am an Evangelical Anglican, and for me, a sermon will expound on a piece of scripture. This means describing what it says, what it meant in the biblical context and what it means for us in our lives. Our teaching is all bible based.

Sounds reasonable.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is what it's come to mean recently in the United States:

Quoting linked article: In the past, I cherished the term “evangelical” because of its literal meaning. It comes from the Greek word euangelion, which means “good news.” An evangelical, etymologically speaking, is a bearer of the good news. I love that.

Christians have debated the usefulness of this label for years, and the critiques and concerns have only become more prevalent since the presidential election. In a recent post calling for an end to the term “evangelical,” theologian and writer Scot McKnight details the ways evangelicalism has become identified with Republican politics. Indeed, 80 percent of self-described white evangelicals who voted in the 2016 election supported President Trump, and that group’s support for him remains strong. - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ching-the-label-evangelical-in-the-trump-era/

Quoting another article: Today the term evangelical in the USA means (supposedly) conservative in politics, and hence “Votes Republican.” - Bury The Word "Evangelical"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,452.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols. - Revelation 2:20

I believe the Spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate and state control can be a bad thing.

Just that the Church of Sweden has been and maybe still is a part of the structure of society.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,452.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
This is what it's come to mean recently in the United States:

Quoting linked article: In the past, I cherished the term “evangelical” because of its literal meaning. It comes from the Greek word euangelion, which means “good news.” An evangelical, etymologically speaking, is a bearer of the good news. I love that.

Christians have debated the usefulness of this label for years, and the critiques and concerns have only become more prevalent since the presidential election. In a recent post calling for an end to the term “evangelical,” theologian and writer Scot McKnight details the ways evangelicalism has become identified with Republican politics. Indeed, 80 percent of self-described white evangelicals who voted in the 2016 election supported President Trump, and that group’s support for him remains strong. - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ching-the-label-evangelical-in-the-trump-era/

That is unfortunate,

When politics get mixed up in spiritual matters.

Not good, would say.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟730,335.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
What I don,t get is "Evangelicals" seemed to get bashed often.
I have nothing but bad experiences with Evangelicals.
I married into a family of Evangelicals. Of the seven siblings only my wife and one other brother are not of that group. It's not been a fun ride. It started even before we married, which was 38 years ago when they made it clear that my than soon to be wife would be going to Hell if she married me, and it's been nonstop since. I've watched some very troubling things happen. And now with the current political climate, it's like they have been energized. So I get the Evangelical bashing. And they sure haven't helped my own attitude towards Christian beliefs at all.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There's a history. It used to mean, and still means in some languages, Protestants.

In England and the US (at least) the term was used for the more experientially-oriented types of Protestantism. For example, but not limited to, revivalism.

The the early 20th Cent US, there was a major conflict between mainline churches and what were then called fundamentalists, i.e. conservatives who believed in inerrancy and other aspects of traditional theology. They got a bad reputation. The term evangelicalism came to be used for conservatives who were more open to use of modern culture (e.g. in worship), and more concerned about legislating their ideas, though retaining traditional theology. This fundamenalism-lite was sometimes more technically called "neo-evangelicalism."

I don't think there was ever a precise definition. It's gotten weirder because today there are liberal evangelicals, e.g. Brian McLaren. They came from evangelical backgrounds, and retain some of the cultural aspects, but their theology is very similar to mainline theology.

Evangelicalism, like many other movements, is rejected by some. In part because it often rejects consensus ideas such as evolution and an old earth. In part because it maintains traditional gender / sexual roles and ethics in a period when many don't agree, and some even think that aspects of this are harmful (e.g. different roles for men and women and condemning gays). In part because there are legalistic elements (though that's by no means universal). A previous poster mentioned that most evangelicals are convinced that all non-Christians, gays, and sometimes non-evangelical Christians are going to hell. These days some of us blame it for Trump, because of the high proportion of evangelicals that voted for him. (However evangelicals are certainly not the only people who voted for Trump. Some of the early editorials and analysis were unfair.)

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,452.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I have nothing but bad experiences with Evangelicals.
I married into a family of Evangelicals. Of the seven siblings only my wife and one other brother are not of that group. It's not been a fun ride. It started even before we married, which was 38 years ago when they made it clear that my than soon to be wife would be going to Hell if she married me, and it's been nonstop since. I've watched some very troubling things happen. And now with the current political climate, it's like they have been energized. So I get the Evangelical bashing. And they sure haven't helped my own attitude towards Christian beliefs at all.

That,s the confusing part,
some mean it means good news,
others mean it means misarable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Like Edwards, Whitefield v Billy Graham?
You probably are thinking of the word Evangelist now rather than Evangelical.

I am sure that Billy Graham would qualify as both, but the latter term became popular in the sense I described only recently, so figures from the past aren't normally characterized that way.

Keep in mind that the term is also not well-defined when it is used as I explained, so there is no rule about exactly how or when to use it.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,452.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
There's a history. It used to mean, and still means in some languages, Protestants.

In England and the US (at least) the term was used for the more experientially-oriented types of Protestantism. For example, but not limited to, revivalism.

The the early 20th Cent US, there was a major conflict between mainline churches and what were then called fundamentalists, i.e. conservatives who believed in inerrancy and other aspects of traditional theology. They got a bad reputation. The term evangelicalism came to be used for conservatives who were more open to use of modern culture (e.g. in worship), and more concerned about legislating their ideas, though retaining traditional theology. This fundamenalism-lite was sometimes more technically called "neo-evangelicalism."

I don't think there was ever a precise definition. It's gotten weirder because today there are liberal evangelicals, e.g. Brian McLaren. They came from evangelical backgrounds, and retain some of the cultural aspects, but their theology is very similar to mainline theology.

Evangelicalism, like many other movements, is rejected by some. In part because it often rejects consensus ideas such as evolution and an old earth. In part because it maintains traditional gender / sexual roles and ethics in a period when many don't agree, and some even think that aspects of this are harmful (e.g. different roles for men and women and condemning gays). In part because there are legalistic elements (though that's by no means universal). A previous poster mentioned that most evangelicals are convinced that all non-Christians, gays, and sometimes non-evangelical Christians are going to hell. These days some of us blame it for Trump, because of the high proportion of evangelicals that voted for him. (However evangelicals are certainly not the only people who voted for Trump. Some of the early editorials and analysis were unfair.)

It is all very confusing will say.

Here on the west coast it has been more or less tradition
with "High Church", very formal.

Further down to the islands outside of Gothenburg it has been tradition with "Mission Church",

Then there are of course others, pentecostal etc.

But through it all there is the Luther Church, which is folky,
inclusive and probably the backbone of Swedish society.

Birth, wedding, burial.

Of course times change, TV, carownership and a 101 gadgets.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,452.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
You probably are thinking of the word Evangelist now rather than Evangelical.

I am sure that Billy Graham would qualify as both, but the latter term became popular in the sense I described only recently, so figures from the past aren't normally characterized that way.

Keep in mind that the term is also not well-defined when it is used as I explained, so there is no rule about exactly how or when to use it.

Not sure if Jonathan Edwards would have hung around long
he got so fed up with the respectable people "on the hill" so

he and his wife went to the indians.

according to what I read a few years back.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
It's pretty much synonymous with "fundamentalists", which was once what they called themselves until "religious fundamentalism" was picked up by religious studies as a term denoting extremism/radicalism.

At this point, though, "Evangelical" is no less ambivalent a term than "fundamentalist", mostly because the people it describes usually ARE extremists.

• Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Not sure if Jonathan Edwards would have hung around long
he got so fed up with the respectable people "on the hill" so

he and his wife went to the indians.

according to what I read a few years back.
Sort of. He became unpopular with the church because of his use of church discipline, and also because of his use of tests for prospective members to make sure that they were "converted." He was a brilliant theologian, but I wouldn't have wanted to be in his church.

Upvote 0