✟477,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
@dzheremi

Last night I was surprised to come across a report that the Syriac Orthodox venerate Eusebius of Caesarea, and apparently believe that he changed his mind, that is to say, repented of Arianism, at the Council of Nicaea, and is on their liturgical calendar. I have not had a chance to verify this. However, if Eusebius of Caesarea is not a crypto-Arianism, it would be of some benefit to the Coptic Orthodox liturgy, in that it would make the statement that the Liturgy is conducted “In the name of the 318 holy fathers at Nicaea”, unless that number does not count Eusebius.

Do you know what the Coptic Orthodox position on this is?

Note that I am still working on verifying this information. I would actually be relieved if Eusebius was in fact worthy of veneration; I would note that the Oriental Orthodox do venerate some people who are not venerated by the Chalcedonians for reasons I cannot figure out, for instance, St. Evagrius of Pontus.

Reactions: RileyG

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
@dzheremi

Last night I was surprised to come across a report that the Syriac Orthodox venerate Eusebius of Caesarea, and apparently believe that he changed his mind, that is to say, repented of Arianism, at the Council of Nicaea, and is on their liturgical calendar. I have not had a chance to verify this. However, if Eusebius of Caesarea is not a crypto-Arianism, it would be of some benefit to the Coptic Orthodox liturgy, in that it would make the statement that the Liturgy is conducted “In the name of the 318 holy fathers at Nicaea”, unless that number does not count Eusebius.

Do you know what the Coptic Orthodox position on this is?

I have no clue, as this is the first I've heard of it. There are two people named Eusebius in the Coptic synaxarium that I am aware of, one on Amshir 23 and the other on Baramhat 9, but neither are the famous Eusebius of Caeserea. One is named "Son of Basilides, the Minister" and fought in a war against Persia at the time of Diocletian, and the other is grouped together with the martyrdom of St. Abrianus and his wife Amrata and 40 other martyrs, in an entry that contains no information other than to note that they were martyred. The synaxarium is often frustrating in this way.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0