MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
so you are stating that the OP's conscience should count for nothing and instead he should take advice from stangers on the internet stating as fact their own moral/theological opinions

i told him 'maybe, and to pray for forgiveness'

he asked for advice, he got it, now please get over it

you addressed the OP and gave your opinion as fact, i gave my opinion too

focus on the op and not me, please

If something is not a sin, and a person feels it is a sin, it's not always good to rely on the conscience in this way because that could make one scrupulous. A big part of avoiding scrupulosity is forming our conscience according to Church teaching and not relying on our own judgement but on God's. I'm not saying that MyLordIsMyLife is relying on his own judgement btw :) I was just making a general comment, perhaps more about me than anyone else.

MyLordIsMyLife :) - I don't think that what happened was a sin. If there's another issue that you feel you need to deal with, like if you feel a bit of lukewarmness, as you said, it's a great idea to remedy that with some prayer and repentance, but keep trusting God, don't become scrupulous (like me), and focus more on God's goodness than at any of your faults, big or small... even if you make a mistake, don't get discouraged but just go back to Jesus right away :thumbsup: :)

God bless:hug:

Upvote 0

MyLordIsMyLife

Loving my Heavenly Family
Aug 21, 2007
with my Lord and my Lady, most beautiful.
Visit site
✟10,508.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
His advice is wrong. Plain and simple.

What do you repent of; not tipping a chalice high enough?

Your feelings aren't sin either, UNLESS they are willfully indulged in. They are part of who you are and how God created you.

Do you know what the requirements are for an act to be a sin?

1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."131

Its ill advised to recommend repentance of something that isn't a sin.

Thank you; I did not willfully indulge in anything. I heartily love the Blessed Sacrament!

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you; I did not willfully indulge in anything. I heartily love the Blessed Sacrament!

Of course you didn't. That is obvious. There is no sin. Be at peace brother and reject the bad advice. ;)

The best way there is to discern if something is a sin or not is to always refer to that section of the Catechism. Its an awesome help.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
because maybe it was a sin- there is no ambiguity there, now is there ?

people are much smarter than that joab

nice try

No there is no ambiguity at all. Its very clear. There is no sin.

With all due respect,

Have you ever considered that assessment is one stuck in pessimism and just seeing sin where there is none?

If not then try and explain to me how not tipping a chalice back enough could be a sin in any way shape or form?

You can't so maybe its time to reassess from a different perspective. Suppose?

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
No there is no ambiguity at all. Its very clear. There is no sin.

With all due respect,

Have you ever considered that assessment is one stuck in pessimism and just seeing sin where there is none?

If not then try and explain to me how not tipping a chalice back enough could be a sin in any way shape or form?

You can't so maybe its time to reassess from a different perspective. Suppose?

you are giving me advice ?

with all due respect,

you don't speak for God, and you should never tell people not to pray for forgiveness

jonathon licked a little bit of honey when he did not even know he was supposed to and look what happened

if making amends to the Lord makes the OP feel a little better than what is it to you

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
if making amends to the Lord makes the OP feel a little better than what is it to you

Because faith isn't about "feelings" and it was implied to be amends for something that is not a sin and inordinate scruples can become unhealthy. No other reason. Its much better to be honest with oneself about what is or isn't a sin, IF they can reasonably discern the difference.

Upvote 0

MyLordIsMyLife

Aug 21, 2007
Visit site
✟10,508.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course you didn't. That is obvious. There is no sin. Be at peace brother and reject the bad advice. ;)

The best way there is to discern if something is a sin or not is to always refer to that section of the Catechism. Its an awesome help.

Joab, the matter I'm worried about has nothing to do with the physical chalice but rather if my leaving the sip there led to it being treated less than reverently. Also I'm concerned with not being fervent about receiving the Precious Blood at my home parish because I don't want my dad to see me and bring it up at home in front of my (non Catholic) mother who is afraid that if I drink from the chalice I will get sick from some germ (which I don't believe. when I'm at other churches I drink deeply of that most holy and sweet cup).

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Joab, the matter I'm worried about has nothing to do with the physical chalice but rather if my leaving the sip there led to it being treated less than reverently.
Yea, I understood that.
Also I'm concerned with not being fervent about receiving the Precious Blood at my home parish because I don't want my dad to see me and bring it up at home in front of my (non Catholic) mother who is afraid that if I drink from the chalice I will get sick from some germ (which I don't believe. when I'm at other churches I drink deeply of that most holy and sweet cup).
Did you know that it really doesn't matter if you receive the cup?

There is only one Jesus and he is fully present in either species.

CHAPTER III
CHRIST, WHOLE AND ENTIRE, AND A TRUE SACRAMENT ARE RECEIVED UNDER EITHER SPECIES
It declares, moreover, that though our Redeemer at the last supper instituted and administered this sacrament to the Apostles under two forms, as has already been said, yet it must be acknowledged that Christ, whole and entire, and a true sacrament are received under either form alone,[12] and therefore, as regards its fruits, those who receive one species only are not deprived of any grace necessary to salvation.
EWTN - Under Pius IV - Council of Trent-21

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know that, it's just powerful with me since I have a devotion to the Precious Blood of Jesus.

Yes, I follow you but wish you to understand, by receiving the host, you also receive the same precious blood as is in the cup.

You don't actually have to receive the blood in the appearance of wine to do that.

I am not trying to dissuade you from the cup in the least mind you, just letting you know, the only differences are in the physical appearance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
definitely saved me a trip to the confessional :) God bless!

Remember the CCC. The section on sin can be found any time by putting in the key words "mortal sin" into most any search engine and finding the Catechism. Have a good week. Thanks and Bless you too.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
thanks again. I look at that and get confused on whether or not something is grave matter and how fully my will consented to it, down to the tiniest thought.

Join the club. :) We have all been there. One can go the other way too and break ones conscience and not think a sin is one when it really is. I have done that too and once even convinced myself that I should wait to confess unless I actually felt sorry first. Then I learned I what a mistake it was to trust my feelings.

Its easier to figure out what sin is with the Catechism than without it and if studying the CCC fails we have priests. To figure this stuff out is one of the reason we have priests and Catechisms.

Check out that whole section on sin sometime. It has more on what grave matter would be. Its impossible to mortally sin by accident because there always has to be a willful choice. God never rejects us, he is always faithful to us, we have to be in a disposition of rejecting him to be in serious trouble of our own making. Sin can make us that sick, only if we let it.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Remember, do not be afraid to avail yourself of the Sacrament of Penance. Even if you've only venial and not mortal sins, the Sacrament of Penance washes the soul of all mortal and venial sins and instills in the soul, grace to fortify the penitent's souls against sin, temptation, demons, and the Devil himself.

Pax Domini. :wave:

Upvote 0

MyLordIsMyLife

Aug 21, 2007
Visit site
✟10,508.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Both Joab and Virgil, thank you. Each word of advice from Christian family is a piece of gold coming from the Light of the World, Jesus. I aim for a well formed conscience. I do really have to look at the Catechism. I am a catechist, after all.

Also, I love the grace of Penance to free us from any sin. I go often and tell the priest whatever's on my heart. I feel so free afterward, praise the Lord.

God bless!

Upvote 0