Eucharist - advice please

MyLordIsMyLife

Loving my Heavenly Family
Aug 21, 2007
with my Lord and my Lady, most beautiful.
Visit site
✟10,508.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello all,

Today at Mass, I went up to receive the Precious Blood of Jesus, and the Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion had only half a sip in the Chalice. I took the cup, sipped, but didn't sip long enough for the Blood to get into my mouth, and it remained in the Chalice, which I handed back to the EM without thinking properly. The EM took it back to the altar. I'm worried that the Precious Blood was at risk of being profaned in some way because I didn't drink the small sip.

Should I be worried?

God bless,
Jonathan

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not to worry at all. Next time your at Mass watch for Fr. to purify the vessels after communion. He will actually rinse the ciboria with water and pour that into the chalices to rinse those and then consume everything left over. If he notices anything left in any chalice, he will consume that before he begins purifying. Usually the EMHC will do that but may not have noticed as you said, you appeared to have consumed the last drop but actually didn't. Either way, I am sure someone caught it though. Then after Mass, the vessels are washed more thoroughly by a sacristan.

Upvote 0

Fran75

May 3, 2011
Mason Dixon line
✟8,809.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Jonathan,
I am humbled by your deep respect for our Lord's blood. I don't think you did anything improper.
In our Byzantine church the priest consumes any leftover Eucharist. Unlike the Roman Catholic rite our body and blood comes together in the form of a small square of wine soaked leavened bread so it can not be saved, perhaps your priest does something similar. I also know that any thing that comes in contact with his body and blood is also treated with respect for example in our church the cloths that are used are rinsed out in a special sink that does not empty into the sewer, I know this because our priest gives these specially treated cloths to my mother who then washes them and irons them for the next use. I am sure your church also has procedures to care for any remaining body or blood and any object it comes into contact with.
Our holy Mother church has already anticipated issues that my arise. I would think that the Lord is touched by your reverence.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You have nothing to worry about . It was accidental . Beware of scruples .

you do not know he has nothing to worry about and it is not a good idea to assume the severity or lack of severity in one's actions

take this as an example:

42And Saul said: Cast lots between me, and Jonathan my son. And Jonathan was taken.

43And Saul said to Jonathan: Tell me what thou hast done. And Jonathan told him, and said: I did but taste a little honey with the end of the rod, which was in my hand, and behold I must die. 44And Saul said: May God do so and so to me, and add still more: for dying thou shalt die, O Jonathan.

Samuel 1:14

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
maybe, pray on it and ask God to forgive you

What are you talking about? Why on earth should anyone ask forgiveness for nothing.

He tipped the challice and didn't get the drop in the bottom. Even if he had meant to, where is the sin?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoabAnias

Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
you do not know he has nothing to worry about and it is not a good idea to assume the severity or lack of severity in one's actions

take this as an example:

42And Saul said: Cast lots between me, and Jonathan my son. And Jonathan was taken.

43And Saul said to Jonathan: Tell me what thou hast done. And Jonathan told him, and said: I did but taste a little honey with the end of the rod, which was in my hand, and behold I must die. 44And Saul said: May God do so and so to me, and add still more: for dying thou shalt die, O Jonathan.

Samuel 1:14

Not tracking at all.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What are you talking about? Why on earth should anyone ask forgiveness for nothing.

He tipped the challice and didn't get the drop in the bottom. Even if he had meant to, where is the sin?

so you are stating that the OP's conscience should count for nothing and instead he should take advice from stangers on the internet stating as fact their own moral/theological opinions

i told him 'maybe, and to pray for forgiveness'

he asked for advice, he got it, now please get over it

you addressed the OP and gave your opinion as fact, i gave my opinion too

focus on the op and not me, please

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
so you are stating that the OP's conscience should count for nothing and instead he should take advice from stangers on the internet stating as fact their own moral/theological opinions

i told him 'maybe, and to pray for forgiveness'

he asked for advice, he got it, now please get over it

you addressed the OP and gave your opinion as fact, i gave my opinion too

focus on the op and not me, please

To advise someone to ask forgiveness for something that is not a sin is not good advice or helping them at all.

The OP can make a mistake about thinking something is a sin when its not. The false advice to repent of nothing is a perfect example why everyone should be careful taking advice from anyone on the internet.

I'm not focused on you. But I did ask you a question.

Are you saying you can't answer it?

Where is the sin?

What is or isn't a sin is not subjective to feelings.

Help me come to an understanding of what there is to repent of here, because right now there is none.

Upvote 0

MyLordIsMyLife

Loving my Heavenly Family
Aug 21, 2007
with my Lord and my Lady, most beautiful.
Visit site
✟10,508.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey brothers, don't debate or argue. I value both of your advice. Theological sin or not, I believe I need to repent, offer my prayers of repentance and adoration as reparation, and maybe go to Confession for the feelings of lukewarmness I struggle with.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey brothers, don't debate or argue. I value both of your advice. Theological sin or not, I believe I need to repent, offer my prayers of repentance and adoration as reparation, and maybe go to Confession for the feelings of lukewarmness I struggle with.

His advice is wrong. Plain and simple.

What do you repent of; not tipping a chalice high enough?

Your feelings aren't sin either, UNLESS they are willfully indulged in. They are part of who you are and how God created you.

Do you know what the requirements are for an act to be a sin?

1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."131

Its ill advised to recommend repentance of something that isn't a sin.

Reactions: LinuxUser
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
To advise someone to ask forgiveness for something that is not a sin is not good advice or helping them at all.

The OP can make a mistake about thinking something is a sin when its not. The false advice to repent of nothing is a perfect example why everyone should be careful taking advice from anyone on the internet.

I'm not focused on you. But I did ask you a question.

Are you saying you can't answer it?

Where is the sin?

What is or isn't a sin is not subjective to feelings.

Help me come to an understanding of what there is to repent of here, because right now there is none.

i am not interested in your questions

i gave the OP advice because he asked for it

i am not interested on your opinions about the nature of sin in this thread

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i am not interested in your questions

i gave the OP advice because he asked for it

i am not interested on your opinions about the nature of sin in this thread

I will take that as a half spirited admission that there is no sin to repent of.

False accusations of sin are not good advice.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There was no sin. Any and all of the left over consecrated wine are washed away and consumed by the priest. There is nothing to repent of and no need to confess.

I'm still trying to figure out how it could even be argued otherwise. :doh:

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I will take that as a half spirited admission that there is no sin to repent of.

False accusations of sin are not good advice.

false witness anyway you want to

be my guest

nowhere in this thread did i say he sinned, go ahead quote where i said that, be my guest

because you cannot, the whole world awaits you to do it

Upvote 0