United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The bloc is struggling to form a united front on the conflict

The war between Israel and Hamas has exacerbated long-running divisions between EU member states. Despite an effort to appear united in condemnation of the shock attack and atrocities committed, the bloc’s response has been a diplomatic shambles.

A statement from European Commissioner Olivér Várhelyi — nominated for his post by Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán, one of Europe’s most pro-Israel leaders — that aid for Palestine would be suspended in light of the attack was followed by a backlash from countries with more sympathy towards Palestine. The Commission proceeded to tie itself in knots over the issue, giving the impression that in Brussels the left hand doesn’t know what the right is doing.

Clarification only came on Tuesday evening when the bloc’s foreign affairs chief Josep Borrell confirmed that payments to Palestine would not be stopped – apparently contradicting an earlier statement from the Commission suggesting that no payments were due anyway — and claimed that now “we have to support more, not less”. Borrell justified the continued flow of aid to Palestine by arguing that “the suspension of payments — punishing all of the Palestinian people — would have damaged the EU’s interests in the region and would have only further emboldened terrorists.” His claim was supported by European Council President Charles Michel, who said cutting off aid to Palestine “could be exploited by Hamas and exacerbate tensions and hatred”.

Continued below.

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Call me cynical, but I truly believe Biden and most of the Democrats don't even want to help Israel. I think they'd be happy to see them fall and Palestine to rise up. I really believe the Biden Administration is only showing support because of the long standing alliance that most Americans hold in high regard. The loud liberals who are turning out to be the real Nazis (as if we didn't already know) would celebrate, of course, but the Democrats know that to not support Israel would be suicide for the party.

Upvote 0