Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
ESV with Apocrypha | Anglican House Publishers

Why Apocrypha

As stated more fully in Article VI of the Articles of Religion, the Apocrypha is not part of the canonical Scriptures of the Holy Bible; therefore, it has been included in a separate section following the Old Testament and the New Testament. This ESV translation of the Apocrypha stands in the mainstream of classic Apocrypha translations extending back over the last five centuries.

The lectionaries of most editions of the Book of Common Prayer since 1549 include canticles and readings from the Apocrypha at Morning and Evening Prayer, as does the Book of Common Prayer 2019 of the Anglican Church in North America.

Article VI states that the fourteen ancient books of the Apocrypha are read “for example of life and instruction of manners; but…not (to) apply them to establish any doctrine.” The Apocrypha is primarily an aid for reading the Daily Offices, for instruction in living, and for lectionary readings in the Church. [end quote]

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟422,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have read the Apocrypha. It is not cannon and I do not think it belongs in the ESV or any Bible. It should be read by itself and with great caution.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,824.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I have read the Apocrypha. It is not cannon and I do not think it belongs in the ESV or any Bible. It should be read by itself and with great caution.
I've read it many times over the years and yes, it is not canon, but is still useful for historical purposes. Sirach is a great read and is basically a commentary on Proverbs. Christians have read the apocrypha for 2,000 years so I'm not going to completely abandon it.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0