✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Adopt-A-Block, Inc.

Site: rockcitychurch.com

Adopt-A-Block, Inc.
http://www.rockcitychurch.com/adoptblk.htm

Significance:
Adopt-A-Block is a nonprofit coalition and partnership composed of local churches, the City Police Department, City Government, local businesses, community associations, a diversity of service and health agencies and residents working together to bring restoration to our inner city - block by block. The goal is to effectively meet the diversified needs of the individual, the family and their community; spiritually, emotionally, mentally and physically.

Personal Comments: I've also seen this 'house'. One white family decided to move in a black community to live among them. They believe that in order to reach out to people, one must live among them. The idea is that this is the 'gateway' to the lost among poor. The house literally says, "adopt-a-block" on it and unlike all the other houses in Baltimore, this one is distinctly colored blue, so everybody in the neighborhood knows the family is Christian. Eventually they got to know the local people and nearly everybody in the neighborhood respects them. So when relations were good, they ended up having block parties and such. It's really neat because the gospel message really goes out this way. And many come to Christ as a result. :)

Often times it's so easy to think that they'd get killed or something for living in such a 'bad' neighborhood, but the reality is that God is protecting them. One time someone didn't like the fact that this family was living among them, so he firebombed their car. This family had the choice of leaving or staying, and by God's grace they decided to stay. If they had left, everyone in the town would know that they were clearly afraid. So upon making that decision, a few days after the car was bombed, one brother (a former drug addict/hit man) specifically went around telling other drug dealers and such "Don't mess with these guys!" (the white family among the black community). A day or 2 later, there was news that the "firebomber" died because of a blood clot on his leg. This must've been totally by God, because he didn't die of drugs, or alcohol abuse or anything along those lines. It was completely random. Ever since then, no drug-dealer or anyone like that dared to do anything to the family of the adopt-a-block house. And so they live peacefully among the black community as servants of Christ sharing the good news with the local people! God is awesome! :)

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Nehemiah House, Inc.

Site: rockcitychurch.com

Nehemiah House, Inc: Helping rebuild the lives of Men
http://www.rockcitychurch.com/nehemiah.htm

Significance: Nehemiah House, Inc. is a 27 bed emergency and 4 bed transitional housing facility assisting homeless men. We are located in Baltimore County, Maryland. We have been in operation since January, 1991.

At Nehemiah we try to identify and address the problem that caused homelessness in the resident. To avoid being a "revolving door" type program, our help is aimed at giving to willing men the tools necessary to bring an end to their situation. Upon completion of the program, assistance is given to the resident as he is getting established back into society.

Personal Comments: This is a really amazing program. The house isn't a mere shelter but it offers tons of hope for their future. As a result, many men gave their life to Christ! One brother was saying something along the lines of, "This is a blessing! It's by God's grace that they took me in and gave me an opportunity to be accepted into society. I have a place to stay, food to eat, lifeskills to learn, and they even helped me get a job to keep me going! You don't get better than that!" Another brother was saying that because of Christ, he got delivered from drugs permanently by going to a cell group, which was associated with the Nehemiah House.

There was a brother there sharing all the logistics and such. There's a lot of guidelines and rules that were put in effect for the success of the organization. Honestly I found it all really boring. LOL! :) But in the end he summed up everything by saying that it's all because of Jesus that the "Nehemiah House" was built. He shared how God has a heart for the poor and the weak- in other words the 'rejects' in society. (Deut 15:7-11, Isaiah 58:6-7, Matthew 25:35-36). Because of Nehemiah House, God's kingdom allows homeless men to become productive and active members in society. Now that I look at it, all the rules/regulations of the Nehemiah House reflect God's kingdom which does not tolerate chaos. *ahem* After all, outside the city of God are the evildoers (Rev 22:15). Now if only people would realize that we are living in the fully established Kingdom of God/New Jerusalem (Heb 12:22, Rev 21:2). :D

Of course that's just my perspective :)

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Site: Servantevangelism.com

Free cups of tea open doors for Chinese Christians to share God's kindness

http://www.servantevangelism.com/articles/smith.htm

Significance: The ministry was intended to be a subtle way to tell others about Christ, since the government discourages open evangelism. Christians saved their choice tea leaves to use at the tent. They brought water to the site after boiling it at home using valuable stores of coal. The hot water was taken to a collection point then carried through the city on shoulder poles to the festival where volunteers steeped and served tea from morning to late at night. The response was positive.

Personal Comments: I think this is the most creative way to share the gospel in a country where the gospel cannot be openly preached!

Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth (1 John 3:18)

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by GW
Friends, let's keep futurism alive. Post what great advances and victories the Church MUST make before the creedal end of the world can ever be near unto consummation.

God bless!

LOL! How ironic GW =)

If I can find any more relevants links I'll be sure to post them here =)

God bless!

-Jason

Upvote 0
WOW!
After finding this thread burried in the tail end of the eschatology section, I just had to bump it, as a postmillennialist myself.

Thank you Erwin for sanctioning, supporting, and indeed championing this opportunity to demonstrate a Positive, Christian, and Biblical alternative to the doom and gloom that is constantly being propogated throughout this section!

Are you, like me, getting tired of the "Why fight we're on the next flight" mentality so often espoused by otherwise well meaning folks?

Then take heart bretheren, because we are on the winning team!!

It's time to start "polishing the brass" and "re-arranging the deck chairs" because, low and behold, the ship is NOT sinking after all!!

The Church triumphant indeed!!

"In an odd but credible story by the BBC, an African lioness in Kenya has been adopting baby antelope (deer-like animal), and weening the newborn calves. The 3 different adoptions so far, have ocourred on Christmas Day, St. Vanentines Day and Good Friday!"

Check it out!

Link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/1905363.stm

The Lion lays with the Lamb!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

judge

Sep 19, 2002
Visit site
✟318.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by LastDazed
WOW!
After finding this thread burried in the tail end of the eschatology section, I just had to bump it, as a postmillennialist myself.

Thank you Erwin for sanctioning, supporting, and indeed championing this opportunity to demonstrate a Positive, Christian, and Biblical alternative to the doom and gloom that is constantly being propogated throughout this section!

Are you, like me, getting tired of the "Why fight we're on the next flight" mentality so often espoused by otherwise well meaning folks?

Then take heart bretheren, because we are on the winning team!!

It's time to start "polishing the brass" and "re-arranging the deck chairs" because, low and behold, the ship is NOT sinking after all!!

The Church triumphant indeed!!

"In an odd but credible story by the BBC, an African lioness in Kenya has been adopting baby antelope (deer-like animal), and weening the newborn calves. The 3 different adoptions so far, have ocourred on Christmas Day, St. Vanentines Day and Good Friday!"

Check it out!

Link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/1905363.stm

The Lion lays with the Lamb!

I agree lastdazed!

Greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world.

If god be for us who can be against us.

this is a great thread!

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
GW said:
Friends, let's keep futurism alive. Post what great advances and victories the Church MUST make before the creedal end of the world can ever be near unto consummation.

God bless!
Bump & Ditto :priest:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.