Jul 1, 2006
somewhere
✟14,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello to all
To prove a fault in the holy quran you have to prove it is not revealed by god.
No one can do that
If the picture is for tombs and not houses this does not refute the fact that the houses were also carved in the mountains, to the contrary it proves it because naturaly people care for the residencies while alive more than they do after they die
Another important point is the aim of mentioning this story and other similar stories is not teaching us about ancient people, but to tell us that God punishes the disobedient regardless of their strength and wealth
Salaam Alaikum, Sunrise. As I have demonstrated, the building that Muhammad came across were not the houses of the Thamud, but instead tombs built by the Nabateans. They were carved not before Moses, but in between the 1st century BC and the 1st century AD. The Nabateans, not the Thamud, also made the wells Muhammad and his men came across.

If God is the author of the Quran and if He inspired Muhammad, it would mean He does not know the history of His own creation. I am unable to accept that, since I know God is all-knowing and perfect.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
My own belief is that the story of Thamud is a teaching about the warning Salih gave the tribe of Thamud and their ignoring that warning and suffering the consequences.

Similar to Lot and his family leaving Sodom...

Similar to Jonah spending uh three days in the belly of a fish..

Are they necessarily word for word and according to archeological and scientific proofs.. most probably not... they are stories to illustrate a point.

:cool:

Upvote 0

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟20,609.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
To prove a fault in the holy quran you have to prove it is not revealed by god.

Isn't showing an error in the Quran one of the proper methods one would use to show that it wasn't revealed by God (or if it was that he lied) ? One would show that there are mistakes and that in turn would throw into question the revelation part. There might be some way around that by claiming that the stories were supposed to be parables or mythical accounts** given to explain certain truths but any historical errors would have to be taken into consideration. It doesn't make sense to say "I think God revealed it therefore there can't be any errors." without first conclusively establishing that there aren't any errors. You have to find that out before it becomes a warrantable assertion.

** You might also want to show that Mohammad intended for them to be understood as allegories and didn't himself believe that they were actual historical events though. If he didn't intend them to be allegories the errors would be a mark against revelation I would think.

Upvote 0