• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Equality for all

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by mathinspiration, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Galaxy Hunter

Galaxy Hunter Member

+154
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Good point. You really can't answer a question like that without more information.

2. ewq1938

ewq1938 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,208
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    But we can provide evidence of non-equality :) Again, as I said, this doesn't have to be a bad thing, just a thing that will exist in certain circumstances. :)

3. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+12,602
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    I think there are some senses in which the Bible would support us striving for equality now.

Others, not so much. Which is why I was trying to clarify what the OP was actually asking.

4. ~Cassia~

~Cassia~ Devoted to Truth Supporter

+10,752
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    I wonder if the Op even knows.

5. ewq1938

+4,208
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Here are examples or certain types of equality:

Gal_3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

6. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+12,602
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Right; so that's a level of social equality ruling out racism, sexism and slavery as valid social structures.

7. ewq1938

+4,208
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican

Yep and I suppose this also applies:

Luk_20:35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

More equality between those who were born male and female.

8. AnticipateHisComing

AnticipateHisComing Newbie Supporter

+557
    Christian
    Married
    You first said "The Lord doesn't play favorites." I asked you to provide scripture to support what you stated and then I quoted two parables that teach people are given different levels of gifts and then are rewarded in heaven differently based on how they used their gifts in this age.

If I gave one of my children $1000 and another $2000 and the last $5000, you would say I was playing favorites. So would they. Sorry, this is in the Bible.

Lastly note the difference between being partial in making judgments and handing out gifts to varying degrees. One is wrong, the other is what God does.

Still waiting for scripture to back your statements.

9. AnticipateHisComing

AnticipateHisComing Newbie Supporter

+557
    Christian
    Married
    It is not wrong to acknowledge being blessed by God. It is wrong to lord it over others as the Pharisees did. Note that the apostle Paul acknowledged his high position in the Church, but he still was humble in his attitude.

10. RaymondG

RaymondG Well-Known Member

+2,861
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    yes.

We are all shown the same laws and are blessed if we follow them and cursed if we dont.

11. RaymondG

RaymondG Well-Known Member

+2,861
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It states in the bible that the one who enters the vineyard at the first hour will receive the same reward as the one who enters at the 12th. God is not like man.

12. PeaceJoyLove

PeaceJoyLove Well-Known Member

+1,139
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Married

God loves us all the same...impartially...AMEN!

The OP is asking "Biblically", not compared to the world perceptions..."To love your neighbour as yourself" or "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" does not come with a caveat or measurement...

13. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+21,605
    Anglican
    Married
    I was indeed approaching the question from the Biblical perspective, but when so many posts that followed mine showed an inability to understand the point, I tried using an analogy that I thought most people would grasp.

By the way also, you are correct that "love your neighbor" is Biblical, but for anyone to seriously think that this is the entirely of what the Bible says on the subject of equality is really sad.

14. THE W

THE W AFRIKANB0T

+2,462
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Depends on what we're talking about.

Equality in terms of what?

15. PeaceJoyLove

PeaceJoyLove Well-Known Member

+1,139
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Married
    For the LORD your God is the God of gods and the Lord of lords, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God who does not show partiality nor take a bribe.

Are you saying the Bible promotes treating others according to a certain measurement? Some esteemed higher than others, more deserving...to be treated differently based on merit?

16. Smylie

Smylie New Member

+17
    Canada
    Christian
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    I don't believe it does support equality for us all because equality during the Bible days used to be about economic and Religious circumstances, not really skin colour or nationality (at least that's my sense of the matter). It does, however, support the idea of treating others the way you would like to be treated, etc.

17. dqhall

dqhall Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,484
    Christian
    Single
    Jesus sent his disciples first to the Jews:
    Matthew 10:5-6 (KJV)
    5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
    6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Jesus, himself a Jew, preached the temple of Jerusalem should not be for Jews only:
    Matthew 21:13 (WEB) He taught, saying to them, "Isn't it written, 'My house will be called a house of prayer for all the nations?' But you have made it a den of robbers!"

Jesus healed the daughter of Gentile woman (Matt. 15:21-28).
    Philip baptized an Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 28:26-40).
    Peter was sent to preach to the household of an Italian centurion (Acts 10).
    Paul and his people agreed to go teach the Gentiles, while Peter and his people continued to teach the Jews (Acts 15).

18. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+2,061
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Revelation 3

20Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

He knocks on everyone's door ... one either lets Him in .... or not. ALL have the equal opportunity to receive Him.

19. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+1,773
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Depending on what you mean the Bible teaches neither equality nor egalitarianism. There is an ordering of the sexes and His holy people are considered above the heathen.
    It does teach equality of dignity of people.

20. salt-n-light

salt-n-light Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,417
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    If equality means that we've have all fallen short of the glory of God, and that we all have a chance to receive salvation, then yes